"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Sunday's dinner is bonny and blithe (and good and happy)!

(somewhat redundant since blithe's definition includes happy).

Anyway, I'm repeating what I served last night since I have lots leftover: hummus, baba ganoughj, ww pita, tatziki, fruit salad, raw veggies.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Master Chef

Haven't decided if it will be the leftover spaghetti or if I'll do up something else. I need to start planning meals for later in the week when we're visiting the in-laws. I always cook for them now when we go. That stifles my creativity here at home before we go since I'm thinking about what to serve them!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Haven't decided if it will be the leftover spaghetti or if I'll do up something else. I need to start planning meals for later in the week when we're visiting the in-laws. I always cook for them now when we go. That stifles my creativity here at home before we go since I'm thinking about what to serve them!
When I visit my folks, I do all the cooking while I'm there. My rules are: (1) I don't make anything from a "box" (that's what my dad cooks), (2) I don't cook anything that my dad can cook (limited), and (3) I don't serve pasta more than twice during a visit (they eat a lot of pasta and I'm usually there 6-8 weeks). What I've been doing the last couple of times I visited was go through my mother's recipes and make things she used to cook (frosted chocolate cookies, crab marinara, linguini with clam sauce, etc.). My mother has dementia, but she definitely remembered the chocolate cookies (her mother used to make them all the time and the things I baked/made. They seem to enjoy that. Unfortunately, it takes my mom about 2 weeks to stop complaining that she doesn't like my dad's cooking after I've been for a visit.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When I visit my folks, I do all the cooking while I'm there. My rules are: (1) I don't make anything from a "box" (that's what my dad cooks), (2) I don't cook anything that my dad can cook (limited), and (3) I don't serve pasta more than twice during a visit (they eat a lot of pasta and I'm usually there 6-8 weeks). What I've been doing the last couple of times I visited was go through my mother's recipes and make things she used to cook (frosted chocolate cookies, crab marinara, linguini with clam sauce, etc.). My mother has dementia, but she definitely remembered the chocolate cookies (her mother used to make them all the time and the things I baked/made. They seem to enjoy that. Unfortunately, it takes my mom about 2 weeks to stop complaining that she doesn't like my dad's cooking after I've been for a visit.
MIL has dementia also. Dad is not a really good cook. He never made a meal until Mom got to the point it was dangerous for her to cook. Now, she is basically non-functioning. She has forgotten how to walk. About the only thing she still does herself is feed herself. She's in a wheelchair most of the time and no longer can do much of anything. Dad cooks a lot of cup of soup type things and is not very adventurous. I try not to get too "exotic" since they didn't eat that way before. I try to do enough so they have leftovers for some meals after we leave. Right now, we're only there 2-3 days since it takes a day to drive each way. By the time we're leaving, they are ready for us to go too! I'll be going through my recipes this afternoon so I can plan meals and make a shopping list. I'll hit the grocery store there.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Two weeks of Short Term Memory? That's a good thing, too bad it can't be retrained.

No dinner tonight, maybe a cup of broth...
Old 08-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
MIL has dementia also. Dad is not a really good cook. He never made a meal until Mom got to the point it was dangerous for her to cook. Now, she is basically non-functioning. She has forgotten how to walk. About the only thing she still does herself is feed herself. She's in a wheelchair most of the time and no longer can do much of anything. Dad cooks a lot of cup of soup type things and is not very adventurous. I try not to get too "exotic" since they didn't eat that way before. I try to do enough so they have leftovers for some meals after we leave. Right now, we're only there 2-3 days since it takes a day to drive each way. By the time we're leaving, they are ready for us to go too! I'll be going through my recipes this afternoon so I can plan meals and make a shopping list. I'll hit the grocery store there.
Dementia - the gift that keeps on taking. Sorry Jabbur, I know how hard this is on family.

It's nice that they get some decent foods in. Has FIL looked at meals on Wheels for lunch each day? That would take some of the strain off of cooking.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I hear you on "dad's not a really good cook." My father's cooking skills were limited to burgers, steaks (on the grill), tomato soup (which I detest--the baking soda is just not for me), and Sunday morning eggs. My mother's dementia isn't to that stage, yet, but I can see it coming. Walking is difficult for her now. I don't go exotic, either, but I make things that are more complicated than my father's cooking skills and I only cook from scratch. At least when I'm there, they don't eat processed food. I try to leave leftovers when I leave, but my father has this thing about food in the freezer, so I no longer do that. When my mom was still able to cook, she could prepare those things if I left a spreadsheet showing what to take out of the freezer, when, and what sides to make, what to put on the grocery list, etc. It's tough. It is a 2-day drive each way for me. Wish it weren't so.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Sous Chef

We have left over meatloaf and teriyaki shortribs from the last two nights. I think I'll do a pasta salad to help round things out.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Two weeks of Short Term Memory? That's a good thing, too bad it can't be retrained.

No dinner tonight, maybe a cup of broth...
Oh dear, not feeling well, PF? Hope you feel better soon!

We have leftover boiled shrimp, so am thinking shrimp fried rice.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh dear, not feeling well, PF? Hope you feel better soon!

We have leftover boiled shrimp, so am thinking shrimp fried rice.
How does one end up with leftover boiled shrimp???

Tags
dinner