"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Pacanis, those nachos look unbelievably good. Have you posted the whole recipe? I'd love to make them for MNF tomorrow!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #32
Senior Cook

For dinner tonight we had a very meaty spaghetti dinner. The sauce is chopped and sauteed tomatoes,onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. One can of crushed tomatoes with garlic and herbs. Sliced spicy italian sausage links and ground sirloin and lots of cheese.

Served that with toasted garlic bread, homemade olive tampenade (recipe courtesy of a fellow dc member) and some steamed veggies. To drink, some iced chai tea.

and for Entertainment: FOOTBALL!!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Everyone's food looks so good! We had the stuffed cabbage rolls tonight as I didn't get them going until late yesterday. I need to pull myself away from the computer!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Snack. Love2"Q" gave me the recipe. Without going word for word, because I didn't follow it word for word anyway It's basically layering some nacho chips (I use Tostitos), refried beans on top of them, meat (the original recipe was to help me use up pulled pork), pico, cheese (cheddar and pepperjack) and Q layers everything again. I just do the one layer. Then bake it in the oven.
The pico de galle I use is onion, tomato, jalapeno and lime juice. It goes great rolled up in a tortilla with chili, too. Also cilantro, but I didn't use that tonight because I knew everything was going in the dish anyway. I didn't think the cilantro would be missed.
This is much better than making a dip for nachos
Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmm, mashed taters!
Nice!
The carrots look fantastic, and of course the main course.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Snack. Love2"Q" gave me the recipe. Without going word for word, because I didn't follow it word for word anyway It's basically layering some nacho chips (I use Tostitos), refried beans on top of them, meat (the original recipe was to help me use up pulled pork), pico, cheese (cheddar and pepperjack) and Q layers everything again. I just do the one layer. Then bake it in the oven.
The pico de galle I use is onion, tomato, jalapeno and lime juice. It goes great rolled up in a tortilla with chili, too. Also cilantro, but I didn't use that tonight because I knew everything was going in the dish anyway. I didn't think the cilantro would be missed.
This is much better than making a dip for nachos
OOh, thanks. I think I will try it with pulled pork, that sounds wonderful. How long did ya bake it for and at what temp? I was thinking of broiling the top layer but don't know if that will melt everything.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Found some hanger steak at the store so that's what I made.

Pan Seared Hanger Steak with Melted Onions, Spinach, Truffle Oil and Balsamic Jus

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #38
Master Chef

Chili and cornbread
Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #39
Certified Cake Maniac

DH made one of his "gourmet specialties" Fried Angus burger patties with Kraft cheese slices melted on, rice and frozen peas. This is one of his staple meals and to be honest, because I haven't been feeling well today and just the fact that someone else cooked, it was probably the best meal I have had all week!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

my boy and i took down the garden today, so we harvested the last of the frying peppers, swiss chard, and 1 last beet, and made a big pot of swiss chard, bacon, and potato soup.

i rendered a 1/2 pound of maple bacon, then browned the peppers, green and white onions, and 1 sliced head of garlic in the remaining fat. it was all put into a large stock pot with 4 cans of chicken broth, along with 5 diced carrots, the peeled and quartered beet, 5 peeled and diced russets, and 1 tightly packed quart of stemmed/chopped red and white swiss chard. i adjusted the amount of liquid with about a half quart of water, brought it to a boil, then simmered covered for about an hour.
it came out very good, earthy and bacon-y.

before i began my soup, dw and i prepared a huge (canadian?) roasted chicken, rubbed inside and out with evoo, s&p, sweet hungarian paprika, garlic powder and parsley.
it took 2 1/2 hours at 375, but it was really tender and juicy. dw says her secret is to add a few cups of water to the bottom of the pan as it's put into the oven, with the bird on a rack above. it keeps it moist while still getting a crispy skin by the time the beast is done.

she also made a very good sundried tomato risotto.

good eatin' in my house tonight!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote