"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
Wine Guy

Barramundi with lemon butter, turnip & potato cakes, and maybe some asparagus if there's any room left on the plate.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i turned on the heat for the first time this season. it is quite chilly here, and the wind is blowing. i think i'll be making lentils and sausage, with a soffritto base. the sausage i have on hand is new orleans style, smoked. i'm just not sure about seasonings--the sausages pack quite a bit of flavoring as well as some heat, so i may be good....
Your recipe sounds wonderful. Would you mind posting it?
Maybe it won't need anything at all except a loaf of fresh baked bread.
I'm just sayin'.. Woke up to a nippy morning..Fall is definitely here.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Executive Chef

news of widespread mislabeling of fish across the board and across the land has made me hesitant about buying fish, lately....
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
Master Chef

I made a pot of sauce with chicken gizzards, meatballs and sausage.

I also picked up a small package of sausage that was called Sicilian sausage. The list of ingredients includes cherry juice. I am cooking that by itself to see what it is all about. We'll see!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
news of widespread mislabeling of fish across the board and across the land has made me hesitant about buying fish, lately....
Another good reason to buy from a dedicated fish monger, or co-op. Unlike the "big guy" grocery chains they usually give a damn about their reputations. I like it when you can ask the fella behind the counter questions and he actually knows the answers.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I'm excited about our dinner today!! I ordered some *darling* bread bowls from a local bread company - they look like pumpkins! Orange with little green stems on top. _SO_ cute!

I'm making baked potato soup to go in them. Yum!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty confident that the crab, mussels, clams, bay scallops and shrimp weren't mislabeled, but I guess the jury is out on the cod
Wasn't this in restaurants anyway? I didn't read all of the articles, but I thought people were being served misrepresented fish. I know at least one story I read said this.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
Executive Chef

the (intentional) mislabeling of fish is not a new problem, but recently the news media has trained a spotlight on it. this "bait and switch" is occurring in supermarkets, restaurants, and probably also in the wholesale markets, wherever there is money to be made....fish that are frequently subject to substitutions are salmon, red snapper, mahi mahi, swordfish, halibut and others i can't recall. tilapia is known as the "meryl streep" of seafood, being able to fill every-which role, as needed. fish, being presented in fillet or steak form, with no skin or fins, cannot be visually identified. the fda is looking into a dna-based method of recognizing fish, but no system with such testing exists as of yet....
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Executive Chef

We have our dinner on Sunday right after church. I put a pork roast and sweet potatoes in the oven before leaving this morning and roasted some asparagus and made a cucumber and tomato salad. We had a peach pie for dessert. It was all delicious and there are leftovers for our supper.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting, Vit. I suppose fish fillets/steaks will soon have to be "Certified".

Tags
dinner