"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Interesting, Vit. I suppose fish fillets/steaks will soon have to be "Certified".

or like with president obama, we will be demanding birth certificates....

Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Your recipe sounds wonderful. Would you mind posting it?
Maybe it won't need anything at all except a loaf of fresh baked bread.
I'm just sayin'.. Woke up to a nippy morning..Fall is definitely here.

for my lentils dish: i begin with the soffritto--one largish onion, two carrots and two stalks celery all finely chopped. this gets sauted in evoo (i add duck fat) for about 15 minutes, not allowing to brown. add a one lb. can of diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes even better) and cook down slowly for another 15. the lentils, i use a heavy half lb., covered with cold water and several garlic cloves, cooking takes less than 1/2 hour. discard garlic and drain. the sausages get sliced and pan browned. now everything gets combined, a can of broth is added, and allowed to simmer together for an additional 20 or so minutes. taste and add salt and coarse pepper as desired. i like lentils a lot--nice on a cold day....

Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #23
Master Chef

We are having subs tonight... I don't know what Mark is going to have, but I'm having a vegie sub with everything but hot peppers.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #24
Sous Chef

We are having shrimp and scallop piccata over rice with steamed broccoli.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara
It's chilly, and my heating unit isn't working, so I started a pot of baby lima beans with a couple of large pieces of smoked pork neck bones.

I may have to figure on cooking something else if it doesn't warm up a little. Baby limas cook up as quickly as split peas.
Sounds YUMMY!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Chilli simmering away nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1128195223.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	12300  
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Oven Fried chicken thighs and corn bread sticks.

I have to go to the store and see what veggies have good prices before deciding on the veggie for tonight. Broccoli with cheese sauce maybe.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Ma's Sunday is coming together nicely. We will be having grilled tri tips, mashed rutabagas, mashed butternut squash with butter and roasted garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper, couscous with dry pomegranets,apricots, and toasted almond pieces, ,the last of the tomatoes, with sliced avocados, 8 large artichokes, garlic rolls, chocolate bread pudding for dessert.
kades
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

No wonder Tony Bennett sings the song, because my heart is definitely in San Francisco after this week's PPPC

Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge week-8... Cioppino!
To tell you the truth, this is one dish I never would have made if not for it being invented in San Francisco and fitting so perfectly with my weekly challenge. I love to cook new things though, think outside my box, and inspite of me not being too keen on any tomato based broths or sauces unless they are poured over pasta or called chili, I went for it. And I am glad I did. When the cod, shrimp, bay scallops, crab, clams, mussels and pieces of tomato were gone, along with the chunk of sour dough bread, I had no problem lifting this bowl to my face and finishing off the delicious, simple broth made from butter, onion, garlic, chicken stock, vermouth, water and various spices. I'll be making this again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPPC week-8 San Fran Cioppino.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	12301  
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
No wonder Tony Bennett sings the song, because my heart is definitely in San Francisco after this week's PPPC

Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge week-8... Cioppino!
To tell you the truth, this is one dish I never would have made if not for it being invented in San Francisco and fitting so perfectly with my weekly challenge. I love to cook new things though, think outside my box, and inspite of me not being too keen on any tomato based broths or sauces unless they are poured over pasta or called chili, I went for it. And I am glad I did. When the cod, shrimp, bay scallops, crab, clams, mussels and pieces of tomato were gone, along with the chunk of sour dough bread, I had no problem lifting this bowl to my face and finishing off the delicious, simple broth made from butter, onion, garlic, chicken stock, vermouth, water and various spices. I'll be making this again

a breathtakingly beautiful array of seafood, pac! it's on my bucket list.

Tags
dinner