Sunday's Supper 1/29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve Kroll said:
DW and I belong to a dinner club with a group of friends. People that know me know that I don't make dessert. It's just not my thing. Nevertheless, I was asked to bring dessert tonight, so I am bringing an Austrian version of chocolate cake, called a Sachertorte. It was kind of a PITA to make, with lots of egg whipping and about a pound and a half of chocolate. It looks okay, I think. Crossing my fingers that it tastes okay. :ermm:

Tres elegante, Steve!

Elk burger, probably stuffed with feta and grilled. And something along the lines of shrimp scampi.

pacanis said:
Elk burger, probably stuffed with feta and grilled. And something along the lines of shrimp scampi.

Haven't had elk for ages, Pac. How does it compare with bison? Sounds wonderful.

There I thought I was going to get away with cooking. Huh, huh. Kids are staying home and I had to cook for them. Thank G-d they love tomato soup and grill cheese sandwiches. Also friend of our are going to visit their son in Chicago, so I had to make the cake (well 2 cakes) for both of our sons (they are in the same school). Few, now I do not even want to go out any more, might as well stay home and eat my soup.

Sorry not a very good picture. But tastes good.

Attachments

• IMG_0191[1].jpg
    IMG_0191[1].jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
dw and i belong to a dinner club with a group of friends. People that know me know that i don't make dessert. It's just not my thing. Nevertheless, i was asked to bring dessert tonight, so i am bringing an austrian version of chocolate cake, called a sachertorte. It was kind of a pita to make, with lots of egg whipping and about a pound and a half of chocolate. It looks okay, i think. Crossing my fingers that it tastes okay. :ermm:

img_1101848_0_6d8982e4b0f49d7f5ad7eb40f7971b6f.jpg
BEAUTIFUL Steve!!

Last edited:
Spicy & hot chili with beans over brown rice topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream and green onions.

img_1101849_0_0f539d9f96c9ff6e69958dd0a024adcc.jpg

My wife and I are taking our best friend out to dinner tonight for his birthday. We're going to a popular izakaya (Japanese tavern) nearby. I'm craving for some oden and a pitcher of beer.

Thanks, Kayelle! We've only been members of this particular group for a couple of months now, but enjoy it quite a bit. There are eight of us altogether, and most are very good cooks. They've set the dessert bar high on previous occasions, which, to a non-dessert maker like myself, makes me a little nervous. :)

That club sounds like a great idea. How do you figure out who cooks what? Do you take turns having it at various members homes?

That cake is gorgeous. Tell us how you like it.

Haven't had elk for ages, Pac. How does it compare with bison? Sounds wonderful.

This is the first time I've ever had it. It had a hint of venison/lamb to it. I hate to say gamey, but I guess that's what it was, only not near as strong. Very underlying.

And the guy who gave it to me said he thought bison was gamey tasting compared to elk. I haven't had bison burger in a long time, but I don't remember bison being gamey at all.

I'm curious what the steaks will taste like.

Pan seared filet mignon, baked potato with butter and sour cream, glazed carrots.

GLAH! That sounds amazing. Truly amazing.

I made "My chicken"...hahahaha, seriously I made "Nacho chicken". It was really delicious and we had quinoa and caesar salad and a fruit plate too.

pacanis said:
This is the first time I've ever had it. It had a hint of venison/lamb to it. I hate to say gamey, but I guess that's what it was, only not near as strong. Very underlying.

And the guy who gave it to me said he thought bison was gamey tasting compared to elk. I haven't had bison burger in a long time, but I don't remember bison being gamey at all.

I'm curious what the steaks will taste like.

Our bison burgers weren't gamey at all. The elk steaks I had many, many years ago tasted like beef steak. As I recall, they were marinated and grilled. Lucky you!

We had ham, garlic mashed and gravy and roasted cauliflower. Fresh cookies for dessert later, Maple Pecan Sandies and Alix's Lemon Shortbread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom