"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Master Chef

I will probably mix up a rye and diet ginger ale, fix some snacks for dinner, chicken tenders, stuffed mushrooms etc...

Then I will tune in Downton Abbey on Masterpiece and later Grantchester on Mystery!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Master Chef

Although it falls on a Sunday every year it is considered a National Holiday by many here in the U.S. There are SB parties everywhere, whether you're into football, or just into the commercials and the half time show, or just an excuse to just party. It is also the biggest day for sport bars.

This year I'm grilling some burgers and hot wings, and there will be plenty of beer in the Tommy Bahama stainless steel cooler that every party animal seem to own.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I'm boycotting the super bowl this year due to the cheating by the patriots.
They have sullied the game more than once and get away with it each time.
However, a complete smack down by the Seahawks would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodell Kraft.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	22527  
Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I will probably mix up a rye and diet ginger ale, fix some snacks for dinner, chicken tenders, stuffed mushrooms etc...

Then I will tune in Downton Abbey on Masterpiece and later Grantchester on Mystery!
Oh the recorder will definitely be set AB!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I'm boycotting the super bowl this year due to the cheating by the patriots...
If you win, others call it cheating. If you lose, it's only known as using every advantage. Not defending Bill or the Pats - I was a Browns fan, once upon a time. Lost my taste for pro ball during the strike in the '90s. Our son was playing high school varsity for the love of the game. Now I can't get into pro ball. It's college football at our house all the way.

Actually, the cheating charge is questionable. If the refs checked the pressure in the locker room, the balls were probably in a 65-70 degree temp. What was the temp on the field at game time? Around 45, give or take? When you move an inflated item from a warm area to a cold, pressure drops. If the balls were re-checked on the field without being warmed to the temp they were originally tested at, of course the pressure would be lower. Try it with a balloon: inflate one fully at room temp, put it in the fridge for a while, then check the pressure while it's in the fridge. It will be a lot squishier than when it went in. I'm not defending the Pats - just the principal of physics. Same physics thing occurs with some other items going from hot to cold. Like a guy getting out of a nice, warm, outside hot tub on a cold winter's day.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you win, others call it cheating. If you lose, it's only known as using every advantage. Not defending Bill or the Pats - I was a Browns fan, once upon a time. Lost my taste for pro ball during the strike in the '90s. Our son was playing high school varsity for the love of the game. Now I can't get into pro ball. It's college football at our house all the way.

Actually, the cheating charge is questionable. If the refs checked the pressure in the locker room, the balls were probably in a 65-70 degree temp. What was the temp on the field at game time? Around 45, give or take? When you move an inflated item from a warm area to a cold, pressure drops. If the balls were re-checked on the field without being warmed to the temp they were originally tested at, of course the pressure would be lower. Try it with a balloon: inflate one fully at room temp, put it in the fridge for a while, then check the pressure while it's in the fridge. It will be a lot squishier than when it went in. I'm not defending the Pats - just the principal of physics. Same physics thing occurs with some other items going from hot to cold. Like a guy getting out of a nice, warm, outside hot tub on a cold winter's day.
Its easy enough to figure out, watch the sb, you know the balls will be perfect and triple checked now, see if he can't throw it ;) I am confident it will still be thrown pretty well.

We also watch college ball, UT fans, so pretty used to heart break, lol. Both of my sons play high school football so fb talk is common at our table...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

We haven't decided on a plan yet. Better get crackin' and discuss this weekend.

Tags
cook