Super Bowl Sunday 2/1/15 whatcha cookin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
Is it too early to start planning, lol..

We are having a pretty large party {40 guests plus us}, I have 3 living rooms plus a theater room, we will be playing the game on every TV in the house from the kitchen to the pool house... We do this every year, its the only day I move a TV into my formal parlor which when I built this house I promised myself I wouldn't keep a tv in that room...

Anyway, its a stressful day for me so I like to plan ahead as much as I can...
In past years I made 120 sandwiches {4oz 6" rolls}, this year I am not going to stuff all of them sandwiches, I am going to make 5 lbs of seafood salad, tuna salad, and chicken salad, then I am going to make a nice slicing roast and slice up 5 lbs of roast beef, and 4 turkey breasts... I will crisp up 5-6 lbs of bacon, and cut a ton of lettuce, tomato, etc...

I do not do chicken wings, because I am terrible at it AND they make a mess..

I am going to cook a pair of prime ribs I have them ordered and make a giant pan of mashed potatoes...

I am not going to make a desert, my wife has our guests bringing chips, dips, and deserts, so that will be what ever gets brought.

NOW for the beverages, I picked up a cases of Powers John's Lane {I have a case in the wine cellar too, but should have plenty without touching that} https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/powers-12yo-pot-still-john-lanes-release/ and a I will pull out a case of Jameson black label {I have plenty of that in the cellar}...
My brother is bringing a bunch of beer and we have a 1/4 kegs in the kegerator that I am going to check on over the weekend to see what state they are in and how full, I know a couple are from the summer like sam summer and the other 2 are pumpkin and apple {jacko and johnny}...

So that should be everything for me, I will just be hoping no one breaks anything and everyone has a good time. 2 years ago one of my wife's friends sons poked the enter of one of my $5000 speakers in, that I had to get shipped in from England, that was hard to keep a smile on my face when it was showed to me the next day...

So what are your menu plans?

Is it too early to start planning, lol..

We are having a pretty large party {40 guests plus us}, I have 3 living rooms plus a theater room, we will be playing the game on every TV in the house from the kitchen to the pool house... We do this every year, its the only day I move a TV into my formal parlor which when I built this house I promised myself I wouldn't keep a tv in that room...

Anyway, its a stressful day for me so I like to plan ahead as much as I can...
In past years I made 120 sandwiches {4oz 6" rolls}, this year I am not going to stuff all of them sandwiches, I am going to make 5 lbs of seafood salad, tuna salad, and chicken salad, then I am going to make a nice slicing roast and slice up 5 lbs of roast beef, and 4 turkey breasts... I will crisp up 5-6 lbs of bacon, and cut a ton of lettuce, tomato, etc...

I do not do chicken wings, because I am terrible at it AND they make a mess..

I am going to cook a pair of prime ribs I have them ordered and make a giant pan of mashed potatoes...

I am not going to make a desert, my wife has our guests bringing chips, dips, and deserts, so that will be what ever gets brought.

NOW for the beverages, I picked up a cases of Powers John's Lane {I have a case in the wine cellar too, but should have plenty without touching that} https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/powers-12yo-pot-still-john-lanes-release/ and a I will pull out a case of Jameson black label {I have plenty of that in the cellar}...
My brother is bringing a bunch of beer and we have a 1/4 kegs in the kegerator that I am going to check on over the weekend to see what state they are in and how full, I know a couple are from the summer like sam summer and the other 2 are pumpkin and apple {jacko and johnny}...

So that should be everything for me, I will just be hoping no one breaks anything and everyone has a good time. 2 years ago one of my wife's friends sons poked the enter of one of my $5000 speakers in, that I had to get shipped in from England, that was hard to keep a smile on my face when it was showed to me the next day...

So what are your menu plans?
Super bowl - ten pin or crown green? And why is it an excuse for a party?

C'mon, I know you are from England, but you don't know what the Super Bowl is? Not Bowling, Super Bowl... Anyway I honestly don't know why its a reason to have a party, but we and many many others do have parties, like on the 4th of July :) not sure how that is celebrated over there...

If you honestly don't know what the super bowl is, then I agree why have a party... Compare it to the world cup or the UEFA champions league final...

Last edited:

Excuse for a party? Americans tend to use all possible excuses for a party MC. ;) Super Bowl Sunday is practically a national holiday even for non fans of football, like me. It's the only football game I watch all year, and really just enjoy the excitement of the whole thing, from the singing of the National Anthem that always gives me chills, to the game itself, to the fabulous half time extravaganza, to the most creative and expensive commericals that are talked about for days after. It's a party time event to be sure.

That's quite a party you have planned C42 !! Nothing elaborate for the two of us in front of the TV. I think I'll pop some popcorn, and cook some chicken chili.

Nothing elaborate for the two of us in front of the TV. I think I'll pop some popcorn, and cook some chicken chili.

That sounds AWESOME, I am truly envious, I will be trying to keep order and figure out who has to move their car when someone wants to leave and cooking, and trying to keep the kids from breaking my stuff, lol... I probably won't even get to watch the game. But when its all over, I pour myself a whiskey, put my feet up, and listen to a little music before bed that night, some how it will all be worth it...
img_1407267_0_0ae78ccbe0675492f16ec04b2401f8f1.jpg

I'm going over to my daughter's for SB Sunday. It will just be she and I and my 4 yr. old grandson, as SIL has to work that day. I know....Sunday and all, but he's a police officer so when he's on the schedule to work, he has to work. We'll DVR it for him. :)

Not sure of the eats yet, we're working on it. Nothing elaborate. I told my daughter we should prepare some of the things she likes, that SIL doesn't. Take advantage of her freedom of eating day. :LOL:

Kayelle, I'm with ya on this - I'm not a die hard football fan, but I always watch the Super Bowl. :)

Last edited:
...Anyway, its a stressful day for me so I like to plan ahead as much as I can...
Um, so why do you do it? :huh:

Our neighborhood used to gather up the street at one of the neighbors' houses. They would order a tray or two of sub circles from a local shop, have different beverages on hand, and everyone who went up there took an appy or a dessert and, if they wanted, their own beverage. Paper plates, beer in bottles, lots to nosh on, and we all had a blast! Afterwards, a few of us would hang around to help the hosts clean up.

That's how we've always done it around here. Everyone pitches in before, brings food to, and cleans up at least their own stuff before they leave. We used to do a neighborhood post-holiday open house for ages, going back to our last home in OH, every January a week or two after the First. Then my feet crapped out and even the thought of doing my small part wasn't appealing. Now our neighborhood has turned over so much the original gang is diluted.

And "Super Bowl"? Don't you mean "Awesome Commercials Sunday"? We pretty much consider football season over once the college bowl games are over. It was a GREAT National Championship game for this inaugural year. :w00t2: As for us, we'll probably go to a late Sunday afternoon Mass and has a private service with the priest. :LOL: Then home for "whatever". I'm sure "whatever" will include a rare bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Company beer. :yum:

My plans for the Super Bowl involve nothing more than picking up the remote and turning on the television when the game starts. That's about it. If there were any team playing that I actually gave a hoot about, then it might be a more celebratory occasion, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another Sunday game.

C'mon, I know you are from England, but you don't know what the Super Bowl is? Not Bowling, Super Bowl... Anyway I honestly don't know why its a reason to have a party, but we and many many others do have parties, like on the 4th of July :) not sure how that is celebrated over there...

If you honestly don't know what the super bowl is, then I agree why have a party... Compare it to the world cup or the UEFA champions league final...
Oh, any excuse for a party! We once had one when a friend's dog died - to cheer her up, you understand!

No, I didn't know what the super bowl was. Never needed to know. My television was trained to turn off when sport came on. Anyway, I looked it up as a result of your post. American football. Oh.

I would like to say that I don't know what the World cup, the UEFA championships, the commonwealth games, the Olympics, etc., etc., are either but we are force fed the bl**dy stuff whether we are interested or not.

War of Independence? The best war we ever lost (We let you win, of course) ;):LOL:

Last edited:
I will probably mix up a rye and diet ginger ale, fix some snacks for dinner, chicken tenders, stuffed mushrooms etc...

Then I will tune in Downton Abbey on Masterpiece and later Grantchester on Mystery!

Although it falls on a Sunday every year it is considered a National Holiday by many here in the U.S. There are SB parties everywhere, whether you're into football, or just into the commercials and the half time show, or just an excuse to just party. It is also the biggest day for sport bars.

This year I'm grilling some burgers and hot wings, and there will be plenty of beer in the Tommy Bahama stainless steel cooler that every party animal seem to own. :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm boycotting the super bowl this year due to the cheating by the patriots.
They have sullied the game more than once and get away with it each time.
However, a complete smack down by the Seahawks would be nice.

Attachments

• Goodell Kraft.jpg
    Goodell Kraft.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 192
I'm boycotting the super bowl this year due to the cheating by the patriots...
If you win, others call it cheating. If you lose, it's only known as using every advantage. Not defending Bill or the Pats - I was a Browns fan, once upon a time. Lost my taste for pro ball during the strike in the '90s. Our son was playing high school varsity for the love of the game. Now I can't get into pro ball. It's college football at our house all the way.

Actually, the cheating charge is questionable. If the refs checked the pressure in the locker room, the balls were probably in a 65-70 degree temp. What was the temp on the field at game time? Around 45, give or take? When you move an inflated item from a warm area to a cold, pressure drops. If the balls were re-checked on the field without being warmed to the temp they were originally tested at, of course the pressure would be lower. Try it with a balloon: inflate one fully at room temp, put it in the fridge for a while, then check the pressure while it's in the fridge. It will be a lot squishier than when it went in. I'm not defending the Pats - just the principal of physics. Same physics thing occurs with some other items going from hot to cold. Like a guy getting out of a nice, warm, outside hot tub on a cold winter's day. :whistling :D

If you win, others call it cheating. If you lose, it's only known as using every advantage. Not defending Bill or the Pats - I was a Browns fan, once upon a time. Lost my taste for pro ball during the strike in the '90s. Our son was playing high school varsity for the love of the game. Now I can't get into pro ball. It's college football at our house all the way.

Actually, the cheating charge is questionable. If the refs checked the pressure in the locker room, the balls were probably in a 65-70 degree temp. What was the temp on the field at game time? Around 45, give or take? When you move an inflated item from a warm area to a cold, pressure drops. If the balls were re-checked on the field without being warmed to the temp they were originally tested at, of course the pressure would be lower. Try it with a balloon: inflate one fully at room temp, put it in the fridge for a while, then check the pressure while it's in the fridge. It will be a lot squishier than when it went in. I'm not defending the Pats - just the principal of physics. Same physics thing occurs with some other items going from hot to cold. Like a guy getting out of a nice, warm, outside hot tub on a cold winter's day. :whistling :D

Its easy enough to figure out, watch the sb, you know the balls will be perfect and triple checked now, see if he can't throw it ;) I am confident it will still be thrown pretty well.

We also watch college ball, UT fans, so pretty used to heart break, lol. Both of my sons play high school football so fb talk is common at our table...

Back
Top Bottom