"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Super Bowl Sunday 2/1/15 whatcha cookin?

Is it too early to start planning, lol..

We are having a pretty large party {40 guests plus us}, I have 3 living rooms plus a theater room, we will be playing the game on every TV in the house from the kitchen to the pool house... We do this every year, its the only day I move a TV into my formal parlor which when I built this house I promised myself I wouldn't keep a tv in that room...

Anyway, its a stressful day for me so I like to plan ahead as much as I can...
In past years I made 120 sandwiches {4oz 6" rolls}, this year I am not going to stuff all of them sandwiches, I am going to make 5 lbs of seafood salad, tuna salad, and chicken salad, then I am going to make a nice slicing roast and slice up 5 lbs of roast beef, and 4 turkey breasts... I will crisp up 5-6 lbs of bacon, and cut a ton of lettuce, tomato, etc...

I do not do chicken wings, because I am terrible at it AND they make a mess..

I am going to cook a pair of prime ribs I have them ordered and make a giant pan of mashed potatoes...

I am not going to make a desert, my wife has our guests bringing chips, dips, and deserts, so that will be what ever gets brought.

NOW for the beverages, I picked up a cases of Powers John's Lane {I have a case in the wine cellar too, but should have plenty without touching that} https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...lanes-release/ and a I will pull out a case of Jameson black label {I have plenty of that in the cellar}...
My brother is bringing a bunch of beer and we have a 1/4 kegs in the kegerator that I am going to check on over the weekend to see what state they are in and how full, I know a couple are from the summer like sam summer and the other 2 are pumpkin and apple {jacko and johnny}...


So that should be everything for me, I will just be hoping no one breaks anything and everyone has a good time. 2 years ago one of my wife's friends sons poked the enter of one of my $5000 speakers in, that I had to get shipped in from England, that was hard to keep a smile on my face when it was showed to me the next day...

So what are your menu plans?

__________________

__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
Is it too early to start planning, lol..

We are having a pretty large party {40 guests plus us}, I have 3 living rooms plus a theater room, we will be playing the game on every TV in the house from the kitchen to the pool house... We do this every year, its the only day I move a TV into my formal parlor which when I built this house I promised myself I wouldn't keep a tv in that room...

Anyway, its a stressful day for me so I like to plan ahead as much as I can...
In past years I made 120 sandwiches {4oz 6" rolls}, this year I am not going to stuff all of them sandwiches, I am going to make 5 lbs of seafood salad, tuna salad, and chicken salad, then I am going to make a nice slicing roast and slice up 5 lbs of roast beef, and 4 turkey breasts... I will crisp up 5-6 lbs of bacon, and cut a ton of lettuce, tomato, etc...

I do not do chicken wings, because I am terrible at it AND they make a mess..

I am going to cook a pair of prime ribs I have them ordered and make a giant pan of mashed potatoes...

I am not going to make a desert, my wife has our guests bringing chips, dips, and deserts, so that will be what ever gets brought.

NOW for the beverages, I picked up a cases of Powers John's Lane {I have a case in the wine cellar too, but should have plenty without touching that} https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...lanes-release/ and a I will pull out a case of Jameson black label {I have plenty of that in the cellar}...
My brother is bringing a bunch of beer and we have a 1/4 kegs in the kegerator that I am going to check on over the weekend to see what state they are in and how full, I know a couple are from the summer like sam summer and the other 2 are pumpkin and apple {jacko and johnny}...


So that should be everything for me, I will just be hoping no one breaks anything and everyone has a good time. 2 years ago one of my wife's friends sons poked the enter of one of my $5000 speakers in, that I had to get shipped in from England, that was hard to keep a smile on my face when it was showed to me the next day...

So what are your menu plans?
Super bowl - ten pin or crown green? And why is it an excuse for a party?
__________________

__________________
Dont look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Super bowl - ten pin or crown green? And why is it an excuse for a party?
C'mon, I know you are from England, but you don't know what the Super Bowl is? Not Bowling, Super Bowl... Anyway I honestly don't know why its a reason to have a party, but we and many many others do have parties, like on the 4th of July not sure how that is celebrated over there...

If you honestly don't know what the super bowl is, then I agree why have a party... Compare it to the world cup or the UEFA champions league final...
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Super bowl - ten pin or crown green? And why is it an excuse for a party?
Excuse for a party? Americans tend to use all possible excuses for a party MC. Super Bowl Sunday is practically a national holiday even for non fans of football, like me. It's the only football game I watch all year, and really just enjoy the excitement of the whole thing, from the singing of the National Anthem that always gives me chills, to the game itself, to the fabulous half time extravaganza, to the most creative and expensive commericals that are talked about for days after. It's a party time event to be sure.

That's quite a party you have planned C42 !! Nothing elaborate for the two of us in front of the TV. I think I'll pop some popcorn, and cook some chicken chili.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Nothing elaborate for the two of us in front of the TV. I think I'll pop some popcorn, and cook some chicken chili.
That sounds AWESOME, I am truly envious, I will be trying to keep order and figure out who has to move their car when someone wants to leave and cooking, and trying to keep the kids from breaking my stuff, lol... I probably won't even get to watch the game. But when its all over, I pour myself a whiskey, put my feet up, and listen to a little music before bed that night, some how it will all be worth it...
__________________
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,319
I'm going over to my daughter's for SB Sunday. It will just be she and I and my 4 yr. old grandson, as SIL has to work that day. I know....Sunday and all, but he's a police officer so when he's on the schedule to work, he has to work. We'll DVR it for him.

Not sure of the eats yet, we're working on it. Nothing elaborate. I told my daughter we should prepare some of the things she likes, that SIL doesn't. Take advantage of her freedom of eating day.

Kayelle, I'm with ya on this - I'm not a die hard football fan, but I always watch the Super Bowl.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:54 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
...Anyway, its a stressful day for me so I like to plan ahead as much as I can...
Um, so why do you do it?

Our neighborhood used to gather up the street at one of the neighbors' houses. They would order a tray or two of sub circles from a local shop, have different beverages on hand, and everyone who went up there took an appy or a dessert and, if they wanted, their own beverage. Paper plates, beer in bottles, lots to nosh on, and we all had a blast! Afterwards, a few of us would hang around to help the hosts clean up.

That's how we've always done it around here. Everyone pitches in before, brings food to, and cleans up at least their own stuff before they leave. We used to do a neighborhood post-holiday open house for ages, going back to our last home in OH, every January a week or two after the First. Then my feet crapped out and even the thought of doing my small part wasn't appealing. Now our neighborhood has turned over so much the original gang is diluted.

And "Super Bowl"? Don't you mean "Awesome Commercials Sunday"? We pretty much consider football season over once the college bowl games are over. It was a GREAT National Championship game for this inaugural year. As for us, we'll probably go to a late Sunday afternoon Mass and has a private service with the priest. Then home for "whatever". I'm sure "whatever" will include a rare bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Company beer.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,414
My plans for the Super Bowl involve nothing more than picking up the remote and turning on the television when the game starts. That's about it. If there were any team playing that I actually gave a hoot about, then it might be a more celebratory occasion, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another Sunday game.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
For starters, deflated cream puffs.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
C'mon, I know you are from England, but you don't know what the Super Bowl is? Not Bowling, Super Bowl... Anyway I honestly don't know why its a reason to have a party, but we and many many others do have parties, like on the 4th of July not sure how that is celebrated over there...

If you honestly don't know what the super bowl is, then I agree why have a party... Compare it to the world cup or the UEFA champions league final...
Oh, any excuse for a party! We once had one when a friend's dog died - to cheer her up, you understand!

No, I didn't know what the super bowl was. Never needed to know. My television was trained to turn off when sport came on. Anyway, I looked it up as a result of your post. American football. Oh.

I would like to say that I don't know what the World cup, the UEFA championships, the commonwealth games, the Olympics, etc., etc., are either but we are force fed the bl**dy stuff whether we are interested or not.

War of Independence? The best war we ever lost (We let you win, of course)
__________________

__________________
Dont look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.