Supper or Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Belgium we say supper ;) In France they call the evening meal dinner.
Basically, the supper was a meal taken around midnight in rich families in France . It was supposed light, but I'll let you gess how light it was :LOL:

Have you ever noticed that you will very seldom hear anyone say they're "going out to supper?" It's always "going out to dinner"

Caine said:
Have you ever noticed that you will very seldom hear anyone say they're "going out to supper?" It's always "going out to dinner"

I had to say this out loud..

I say "going out TO dinner" and "going out FOR supper".

well I guess I'm with the general consensus, first articulated by Andy. Dinner is the big meal whether mid day or evening.

Growing up we called it supper at home, which was (and still is in my parents' home) at 6 p.m. Mom believed it was dinner if it was earlier in the day; when you had the major meal in the afternoon. So it would then be breakfast, dinner, and supper. Supper would then be a bowl of soup or something like that, dinner, at noon or early afternoon, would be the meat-and-potatoes big meal. At holidays we would eat (and I still do this to a degree) at around 3 p.m., and then it is dinner. Everyone has leftovers (turkey, ham sandwiches) around 7; that is supper. Now almost everyone I know uses the two words interchangeably, as do I.

In my family - dinner is the evening meal monday thru saturday - however on Sunday it was always the big meal aroung noon after church service.

For me it's lunch (usually very light) in the middle of the day and dinner (more substantial) in the evening. Even at weekends when the sizes of the meals are sometimes reversed, I still call the midday meal lunch.

I don't think there's any right or wrong, it's a factor of where you live, your occupation and fashion.

There's an article What Time is Dinner? which looks at the evolution of mealtimes and changing names at History Magazine. Also look up definitions on Wikipedia.

I have always used Supper and Dinner interchangeably for the evening meal and lunch for the noon-time meal. My husband's family are French Canadian and they use Souper (Soo-pay) for their evening meal and Diner (Dee-nay) for lunch.

I'm from the South, but for some reason my parents always called the evening meal dinner. I had family that farmed and they called dinner (lunch) and supper at night. The middle of the day meal was the big one and the evening one was leftovers from it.

Janet, my grandparents were French Canadian, and you hit the nail on the head! Dinner (their mid-day meal) was the largest meal of the day most time.

Back
Top Bottom