"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #21
Master Chef

Cleaning out the refrigerator, so lots of leftovers. I went to Sams this morning and got a bag of Granny Smith apples, so I made an apple crisp. They were the biggest and best tasting Granny Smiths ever.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, it was decided ! corn tortillas, shredded pork, with cilantro, diced white onions and an avocado sauce with some serrano chile,lime juice and salt blended..Shredded lettuce salad and white rice cooked in chicken broth with sauteed onions..Decided also that dessert was not to be..I'm tired and want to get a few plants in containers...so NO sweets unless ice cream counts
kadesma

Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Browned pork cutlets baked in apple-cream sauce, with garlic, thyme, and mushrooms. Green beans. Noodles.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Last night I made myself a Whistle Pig, french fries, and a Caesar salad, but I fell asleep before I could drain and take aprt the deep fryer, so seeing it's all ready to go, I am going to make Monte Cristos tonight, dusted with powdered sugar, strawberry preserves on the side, a fresh fruit salad, and Strawberry Juliuses. I still have half a peach pie, which I bought from Marie Callender's for $5.99 USD on sale, for dessert.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Last night I made myself a Whistle Pig,
What is a Whistle Pig??
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Whistle Pig - Take a hot dog, in this case a 1/4 pound Hebrew National hot dog. Cut a slit in the hot dog without breaking through the bottom or the ends. Get one slice of cheddar cheese and cut into 4 equal strips. Place these strips into the slit in the hot dog. Wrap the hot dog with two slices of bacon, using toothpicks at each end and in the middle to hold the bacon in place. Grill or broil until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted (or, if you've got the intestinal fortitude, after the french fries are done, toss it in the deep fryer until it floats!)
Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Whistle Pig - Take a hot dog, in this case a 1/4 pound Hebrew National hot dog. Cut a slit in the hot dog without breaking through the bottom or the ends. Get one slice of cheddar cheese and cut into 4 equal strips. Place these strips into the slit in the hot dog. Wrap the hot dog with two slices of bacon, using toothpicks at each end and in the middle to hold the bacon in place. Grill or broil until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted (or, if you've got the intestinal fortitude, after the french fries are done, toss it in the deep fryer until it floats!)
YUM!! I didn't know that had a name!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #28
Senior Cook

We had turkey pastrami (?sp) sandwiches, tossed salad and iced tea. Will be having cherry cordial ice cream later on tonight.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Green Chile & Beef Tamales that i made 3 weeks ago and froze with a roasted tomotillo & Chipotle Salsa. Do you think i love mexican food ;)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Well, it was decided ! corn tortillas, shredded pork, with cilantro, diced white onions and an avocado sauce with some serrano chile,lime juice and salt blended..Shredded lettuce salad and white rice cooked in chicken broth with sauteed onions..Decided also that dessert was not to be..I'm tired and want to get a few plants in containers...so NO sweets unless ice cream counts
kadesma
I don't think ice cream counts, something about it being so cold that the sugar turns into protein or some such thing ...not.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Browned pork cutlets baked in apple-cream sauce, with garlic, thyme, and mushrooms. Green beans. Noodles.
....that's it, I'm coming over

now that dinner's over, I'll comment on the Irish Soda Bread.
done it for years, using the basic recipe as stated anywhere online or in almost any cookbook. but, wanted to do it via the New York No Knead bread recipe. although I didn't have nearly enough time to let it do its thing, I did it anyway thinking if it didn't work, no matter, I have 'other' bread. 2/3rds ww flour, 1/3 ap flour, lots of caraway seeds and golden and regular raisins. it got 7 hours of rising time. that's way short of the 18-24 it generally takes. all else was the same, rising time of 2 hours in the towel and that's included in the total rise time of 7 hours. used my 2 qt corningware with glass lid @ 515. guess what? it worked! there would have been more holes and a chewier texture et al, but it worked and it was great