Supper: Tuesday 13th March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cleaning out the refrigerator, so lots of leftovers. I went to Sams this morning and got a bag of Granny Smith apples, so I made an apple crisp. They were the biggest and best tasting Granny Smiths ever.:)

Well, it was decided ! corn tortillas, shredded pork, with cilantro, diced white onions and an avocado sauce with some serrano chile,lime juice and salt blended..Shredded lettuce salad and white rice cooked in chicken broth with sauteed onions..Decided also that dessert was not to be..I'm tired and want to get a few plants in containers...so NO sweets unless ice cream counts:LOL:
kadesma

Last night I made myself a Whistle Pig, french fries, and a Caesar salad, but I fell asleep before I could drain and take aprt the deep fryer, so seeing it's all ready to go, I am going to make Monte Cristos tonight, dusted with powdered sugar, strawberry preserves on the side, a fresh fruit salad, and Strawberry Juliuses. I still have half a peach pie, which I bought from Marie Callender's for $5.99 USD on sale, for dessert.

Whistle Pig - Take a hot dog, in this case a 1/4 pound Hebrew National hot dog. Cut a slit in the hot dog without breaking through the bottom or the ends. Get one slice of cheddar cheese and cut into 4 equal strips. Place these strips into the slit in the hot dog. Wrap the hot dog with two slices of bacon, using toothpicks at each end and in the middle to hold the bacon in place. Grill or broil until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted (or, if you've got the intestinal fortitude, after the french fries are done, toss it in the deep fryer until it floats!)

Caine said:
Whistle Pig - Take a hot dog, in this case a 1/4 pound Hebrew National hot dog. Cut a slit in the hot dog without breaking through the bottom or the ends. Get one slice of cheddar cheese and cut into 4 equal strips. Place these strips into the slit in the hot dog. Wrap the hot dog with two slices of bacon, using toothpicks at each end and in the middle to hold the bacon in place. Grill or broil until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted (or, if you've got the intestinal fortitude, after the french fries are done, toss it in the deep fryer until it floats!)

YUM!! I didn't know that had a name!

Green Chile & Beef Tamales that i made 3 weeks ago and froze with a roasted tomotillo & Chipotle Salsa. Do you think i love mexican food ;)

kadesma said:
Well, it was decided ! corn tortillas, shredded pork, with cilantro, diced white onions and an avocado sauce with some serrano chile,lime juice and salt blended..Shredded lettuce salad and white rice cooked in chicken broth with sauteed onions..Decided also that dessert was not to be..I'm tired and want to get a few plants in containers...so NO sweets unless ice cream counts:LOL:
kadesma
I don't think ice cream counts, something about it being so cold that the sugar turns into protein or some such thing:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ...not.......:ROFLMAO:

Katie E said:
Browned pork cutlets baked in apple-cream sauce, with garlic, thyme, and mushrooms. Green beans. Noodles.
....that's it, I'm coming over:-p

now that dinner's over, I'll comment on the Irish Soda Bread.
done it for years, using the basic recipe as stated anywhere online or in almost any cookbook. but, wanted to do it via the New York No Knead bread recipe. although I didn't have nearly enough time to let it do its thing, I did it anyway thinking if it didn't work, no matter, I have 'other' bread. 2/3rds ww flour, 1/3 ap flour, lots of caraway seeds and golden and regular raisins. it got 7 hours of rising time. that's way short of the 18-24 it generally takes. all else was the same, rising time of 2 hours in the towel and that's included in the total rise time of 7 hours. used my 2 qt corningware with glass lid @ 515º. guess what? it worked! there would have been more holes and a chewier texture et al, but it worked and it was great:-p

Last edited:
just to report back: THe stuffed pork roast was moist and tasty...pulled it out at 160*F to rest. the veggies were savory and the spuds were crispy being in the pork drippings, the pan gravy was really good, and the tomatoes were awesome....my guests watched me clip the basil from my window box...it does make a difference...real fresh taste. THe crepes were a great end to the meal with liqueurs...topped with fresh strwberries and whipped cream.

Robo410 said:
just to report back: THe stuffed pork roast was moist and tasty...pulled it out at 160*F to rest. the veggies were savory and the spuds were crispy being in the pork drippings, the pan gravy was really good, and the tomatoes were awesome....my guests watched me clip the basil from my window box...it does make a difference...real fresh taste. THe crepes were a great end to the meal with liqueurs...topped with fresh strwberries and whipped cream.

sounds wonderful robo.
don't you just love it when dinner actually is terrific and you've made it?:ROFLMAO:
it excited me so much when my efforts are not in vain. there are so many things that can and do go wrong during a huge experiment meaning a meal. my st patty's day meal was perfect too.:-p

Last edited:
Last night I made a spicy tofu stirfry, with cubed tofu, chopped baby bok choi, diced red pepper, fresh shitake mushrooms, roughly chopped garlic, a handful of "broccoli slaw" (julienned broccoli stems, carrots, & cabbage), & a sauce made from dry sherry, soy sauce, oyster sauce, & a goodly amount of chili-garlic paste. Served over Jasmine rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom