"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Surgery Food

Hi All - I am having surgery on 11/10 and will be recovering at home after I get out of the hospital. So I'm making soup. I want to make a casserole too...I've never frozen a casserole and I know there are some kind of assemble and bake ones out there.

Any suggestions?

It's good surgery - to restore my hearing - but I'll have vetigo and won't be very mobile for about a week. I don't want to eat garbage take out food, I want to eat fairly healthy. I'm single and live alone.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Master Chef

Lasagna is a good one to make ahead and freeze. Chicken pies would be good too.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Master Chef

Are you having a cochlear implant done?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Half Baked

Any one will do just stop before the bake part and do that after thawing.Lasagne and Mac-n-cheese as well as veggie ones all work good.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Any casserole you can fix can be frozen, thawed and baked. Or even baked, thawed and re-heated. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Chicken broth is comforting. I'll pray for you, too.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago mom had ear surgery and while it was wonderful for her being able to hear it was trying with being unable to get around well. She was so nauseseated food had to be light and not so spiced. Just simple veggie soup at first so she didn't have to be on her feet for long. then after about a week she could handle a light veggie stew and mild pasta someone else fixed.
good luck and prayers your way
kadesma
Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Soups are good, comforting, nourishing food. Even though I live alone, I recently made up a whole package of split pea soup (mainly because I had a huge ham bone to use). I froze it in several containers and thawed one out a couple of days ago. It was just wonderful, and it's nice knowing there's more when I want it.

I reheated on medium low (still frozen) so I could rest my bad back and check on it every 15 minutes or so until it was ready.

Good luck!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Flour Child

Jeni, that is so exciting that your hearing will be restored! Fresh Butternut Squash Soup comes to mind as well as fresh Tomato Basil Bisque. Also, a Chicken & Wild Rice w/Mushrooms soup. All the best to you

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Thank you everyone! Yes I am very excited - I am having a stapedectomy: Stapedectomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good point on the type of food - I suppose I might be sick. I think I'll do potato leek (because it's so easy) and then mac and cheese.

Did not know about the casserole freezing thing. I've never done it. So, I can just assemble and freeze...do I need to thaw it before sticking it in the oven? Perhaps a dumb question but I'm not all that savvy at the science part of food.

Wish me luck! Surgery is on 11/10. I am traveling for work 11/8-9 so things are a bit crazy.