Sympathy/Funeral food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
We lost a dear friend on Tuesday and just found out about it last night. We don't know the cause of death. He was at work and just passed out. He was only 29.

He has a wife and 5 year old son. I'd like to take something to them today. What would be appropriate? I would like something that isn't needed to be in a hot oven since it's been so icky and humid out.

ETA: I'd like something that doesn't involve returning dishes, either. She will have enough on her mind right now.

Im sorry to hear that someone so young has passed like this. My condolences to you on the loss of a dear friend.:(

I would consider taking a deep dish quiche that can be eaten with a salad, a complete salad with a meat ingredient like Cobb/Thai Beef/Chicken etc, a cold cut platter with a couple of salads, some homebaked cookies/cake in an airtight container, even a large disposable platter of fresh sandwiches would be welcome for sure.
I am assuming there would be fridge space for the above except cookies.

My condolences!!! That is so horrible to lose someone that young.

There is no food that would be inappropriate. Anything they like to eat would be a good thing to bring. Soups, stews, sandwiches, salads, or just about anything else. I would have said casseroles or lasagna or something like that, but then they would have to use the oven.

I would try to make things you know the 5 year old will like so they won't have to fight with him to eat.

Sorry, I posted before I saw the note on dishes. You could always buy them so throw away dishes and plastic ware, just enough to get them through this time.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Others have given you good suggestions. Basic food is always appreciated especially when there is a child involved.

A seven layer salad would be good to take, as it can sit in the fridge for a while, and most everyone likes it. The little boy can pick out the things he likes, like bits of broccoli or cherry tomatoes. I have a really good recipe, if you need it.
The tray of cold cuts and cheeses is a great idea...be sure to take bread to go with. Or, if you want to spend a little more, a spiral cut ham would be nice.

Shock

This is something no one knows, when it is our time to go. Being so fast is certainly more painful to take. Also the fact that he was so young. Why? Words just don't make this any better. Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your friend and try to be there for the family when they need you. Our lives are all too fragile.

just a "food package" with some deli items and salads and a rotisserie chicken and some bread would be thoughtful and tasty.

Oh, Angie, how sad. I have a feeling they're going to be "covered up" in food, so I'd go easy on that. How about bringing some fun coloring books and some crayons for the little guy? Sometimes it's nice to distract the little ones with something new. They're going to be wondering what all the fuss is and may not quite yet understand that daddy won't be back.

Instead of prepared food, how about giving the young widow a "coupon" good for some grocery shopping or food preparation for her after things settle down. Or offer to take the little boy for a day in the park, etc. when she has to "deal" with the assorted legalities of her husband's death.

Her greatest need will be in the weeks following all the rush of the death/funeral. That's when her days will begin to darken and she'll need a helper.

She's probably in a fog right now.

Thanks everyone.

I stopped by his mom and dad's house and talked to his mom for a good 20 minutes. She said that he fainted and then after that he died. I guess his heart was enlarged and full of blood.
His 5 year old son was there too and he isn't really comprehending what is going on at this point.

So sorry for your loss. Anything you want to take will be much appreciated. I know when my parents passed (seperate times) we had oodles of food brought in by family and friends and was so appreciated. Deli meats worked really well for sandwiches because there was many times we weren't hungry but knew we had to eat something and it was something we could fix ourselves quickly.

Angie, I'm so sorry for you and your friends.

Like Katie said, she's going to have a need for things once the initial flurry of food passes, so even something that will need to be heated but can be frozen for now would be a wonderful help to the family--chili, stews, baked ziti and a loaf of Italian bread. If you want something for now that's not going to heat the hosue, how about a large fruit salad and some muffins?

Back
Top Bottom