"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow! Sorry to hear this! My thoughts went straight to the little guy! I bet he would like someting sweet. Cake, brownies, cookies!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Sous Chef

A fruit basket filled with fruits snacks and flowers.

Sorry to hear it.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, Angie, how sad. I have a feeling they're going to be "covered up" in food, so I'd go easy on that. How about bringing some fun coloring books and some crayons for the little guy? Sometimes it's nice to distract the little ones with something new. They're going to be wondering what all the fuss is and may not quite yet understand that daddy won't be back.

Instead of prepared food, how about giving the young widow a "coupon" good for some grocery shopping or food preparation for her after things settle down. Or offer to take the little boy for a day in the park, etc. when she has to "deal" with the assorted legalities of her husband's death.

Her greatest need will be in the weeks following all the rush of the death/funeral. That's when her days will begin to darken and she'll need a helper.

She's probably in a fog right now.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks everyone.

I stopped by his mom and dad's house and talked to his mom for a good 20 minutes. She said that he fainted and then after that he died. I guess his heart was enlarged and full of blood.
His 5 year old son was there too and he isn't really comprehending what is going on at this point.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 AM   #15
Master Chef

So sorry for your loss. Anything you want to take will be much appreciated. I know when my parents passed (seperate times) we had oodles of food brought in by family and friends and was so appreciated. Deli meats worked really well for sandwiches because there was many times we weren't hungry but knew we had to eat something and it was something we could fix ourselves quickly.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #16
Master Chef

Angie, I'm so sorry for you and your friends.

Like Katie said, she's going to have a need for things once the initial flurry of food passes, so even something that will need to be heated but can be frozen for now would be a wonderful help to the family--chili, stews, baked ziti and a loaf of Italian bread. If you want something for now that's not going to heat the hosue, how about a large fruit salad and some muffins?