Tacos Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll have to look for that. I never thought of looking in the frozen food section. Around here, fresh wings usually cost as much as boneless chicken breast. :wacko:

They're not in the frozen food section. They're with the fresh chicken parts in a refrigerated case. There are also similar packages of drumsticks, thighs, breasts. Whole chickens are there too.

Tax....they're not in the frozen section. They're usually next to the fresh meat isle.

They're not in the frozen food section. They're with the fresh chicken parts in a refrigerated case. There are also similar packages of drumsticks, thighs, breasts. Whole chickens are there too.
So, these wings aren't frozen. It's just that you freeze them?

I'll look at the section that has chicken and chicken parts. I would have thought I would have noticed those, but sometimes I'm kinda oblivious. ;)

So, these wings aren't frozen. It's just that you freeze them?...

Yes. The six pack is three meals for us. So I freeze them and take out two at a time for our dinner. The package looks like this. There are three more joined packages behind the three you see in the picture.

Attachments

• 43369b.jpg
    43369b.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Andy. Now, I know what I'm looking for. Here it will be one pack at a time, 'cause Stirling thinks wings are too fiddly and won't eat them.

As to taco seasoning. Stirling read the ingredients on the Old El Paso package, that we used to use, and worked out a recipe and wrote it down. Now he just uses that when he makes tacos. They are really good.

We use flour tortillas for tacos. I can eat either flour or corn, but DH only likes the soft tacos. I bought a pkg of corn tortillas so I can make a couple hard ones for myself next time. I am also going to try my hand at making tortilla chips from them to go with my bean dip. I have an easy recipe around here somewhere.

Carol, we put all the various taco ingredients on a lazy Susan and each assemble our own tacos. It would be simple for us to have two kinds of tortillas, so that was a choice too.

Carol, we put all the various taco ingredients on a lazy Susan and each assemble our own tacos. It would be simple for us to have two kinds of tortillas, so that was a choice too.

I am a lot more casual than you....my ingredients are just in small bowls all over the counter. We don't even eat these at the table. We just plate them in the kitchen and go plop down in front of the TV If I were entertaining a larger group I would offer a choice of tortillas, but for just DH and I, we are only going to eat 2-3 tacos each, so I just prepare the soft ones that we both like. The lazy susan is a good idea!

You guys put the ingredients in bowls?
Mine are spread out over a large cutting board. The cheese is grated into a tupperware container in case I have any left over.

You guys put the ingredients in bowls?
Mine are spread out over a large cutting board. The cheese is grated into a tupperware container in case I have any left over.
The cheese and shredded lettuce go on small plates. Sour cream and salsa are put out in the containers they came in. Hot peppers are in jars. Chopped tomato in a tiny bowl, 'cause Stirling doesn't eat those. I'm gonna think about putting out the lettuce, tomato, and cheese on the cutting board. I don't know though, 'cause I think the cutting board probably takes more space than the plates do. I also think I've forgotten something we usually put out - oh yeah, the taco meat :doh: , that goes in a bowl. And a jar with spoons.

The cheese and shredded lettuce go on small plates. Sour cream and salsa are put out in the containers they came in. Hot peppers are in jars. Chopped tomato in a tiny bowl, 'cause Stirling doesn't eat those. I'm gonna think about putting out the lettuce, tomato, and cheese on the cutting board. I don't know though, 'cause I think the cutting board probably takes more space than the plates do. I also think I've forgotten something we usually put out - oh yeah, the taco meat :doh: , that goes in a bowl. And a jar with spoons.

I'm guessing that pac is thinking you've got a lot of little dishes to wash, rather than the amount of space it all takes up ;)

I put the lettuce, cheese, onions (for DH) and tomatoes (for me) all in a good-sized shallow bowl and we serve the meat out of the pan. We put our tacos together in the kitchen and then eat in front of the TV.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that pac is thinking you've got a lot of little dishes to wash, rather than the amount of space it all takes up ;)

I put the lettuce, cheese, onions (for DH) and tomatoes (for me) all in a good-sized shallow bowl and we serve the meat out of the pan. We put our tacos together in the kitchen and then eat in front of the TV.

Yes, something like that.
I know it makes a nice presentation, but I was thinking of every ingredient sitting out in a bowl when a lot of them come in their own container or get chopped up on the board.

GG, so you mix all the "salad" and cheese together or keep it separated in the shallow bowl?
I build my tacos in layers; Meat, onions, sour cream, lettuce tomatoes, cheese, sauce. That's why I keep every separated unless I'm making a taco salad. Of course I'm just feeding myself these days...

I've got a dishwasher. Onions, that's what I forgot.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I have a dishwasher, too.
And I forgot to buy onions tonight. I had shallots though. Go figure.

GG, so you mix all the "salad" and cheese together or keep it separated in the shallow bowl?
I build my tacos in layers; Meat, onions, sour cream, lettuce tomatoes, cheese, sauce. That's why I keep every separated unless I'm making a taco salad. Of course I'm just feeding myself these days...

I keep them separated in the bowl. We build them in layers, too.

Have any of you ever made a Hennessey Taco? I'd guess no, as I named it, my MIL created it, and it's yummy, and not at all authentic. Here's how its made:

Cut Velveeta Cheese into 1/8 inch slices, and then cut those into four strips. Fry up sound ground beef. Season with salt. I like to add cumin, coriander, and a bit of chili powder to the meat as well. DW likes her beef simply seasoned with salt.

Cut up all of the veggies you like in your taco. We use guacamole, and diced cucumber, onion, tomato, and shredded lettuce. Condiments can be ketchup, salsa, hot-sauce. Shredded cheddar is a must.

To make, heat up a half-inch of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Place a tbs. of ground beef, and a strip of cheese onto a soft, corn tortilla. Place in the hot oil for about 3 seconds, and fold in half. Remove to a paper towel-lined dutch oven. Continue making tacos in this fashion, and setting them beside each other. When the pan is full, serve them with the veggies and condiments, and lots of napkins.

These are so tasty it's ridiculous. And yes, I adore carne asada, or shredded beef, or even fish in my tacos. This is simply another variation.

Try 'em. You'll like 'em. I've served these up to many people, including some taco experts from San Diego, Arizona, and similar areas. Everyone who has tried them agrees that they are great. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom