"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Tell me what you think about this menu.

I am having a guest over and I am thinking about making this:

Sweet-Spicy Glazed Salmon Recipe - Fish - MyRecipes.com

+

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Marsala Recipe - Vegetables - MyRecipes.com

+

Roasted asparagus or a salad

+

Some variety of Riesling

Do you think all of that would go well together?

Or if you have a better salmon recipe that is easy I'd like to see that as well.

Thanks for suggestions!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

It seems to me that sweet-spicy fish with sweet potatoes would be a little too much sweetness

I'd make some variety of fried rice - maybe a shrimp fried rice (without the ham). Asparagus or a salad would be great. If you do a salad, you could make or buy an Asian-style dressing to keep the Asian theme going. I had mango ice cream once; that would make a really nice dessert. HTH.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hmm; thanks for that suggestion but I was kind of hoping to keep the sweet potato side because we both really like sweet potatoes and I think that recipe is really good. Do you think there is a way I could modify the salmon to make a better balance?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I agree that either the sweet potato or the flavors in the salmon needs to be swapped out. If you're intent on keeping the sweet potato, then lean towards spicier(but less sweet) and/ or more acidic flavors with the salmon. Here are some examples:

Peppercorn-Crusted Salmon With White Wine Butter Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar

Recipelink.com - Message Boards

Wake up your palate with recipes using exotic peppercorns | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Cooking tips | Food | Dallas Morning News
Old 08-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

Sounds like the repeat of another thread. IMO, with all that sweetness and oriental going on, a Reisling would be too much. If I were pairing this main course, I would start with a Cosmo. The orange and cranberry should carry over to the sweetness of the main course. Don't know your budget, but a champagne would work well. A Vueve Cliquot at around 40 bucks would be my choice. Lower down in price I would choose an unoaked dry Chardonnay or Pino Gris. An adventusome choice would be a Muscadet. All around 10-15 bucks. Looking at a dessert, A simple berry shortcake would work for me. It would work with the champagne. An off the wall dessert that I have used is a Belgian Lambic berry beer. Not too expensive, not to alcholic, beg to be sipped, and definitely different.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Hmm; thanks for that suggestion but I was kind of hoping to keep the sweet potato side because we both really like sweet potatoes and I think that recipe is really good. Do you think there is a way I could modify the salmon to make a better balance?

Have Ham if you want the sweet potatoes. JMHO
Old 08-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Okay so I have revised my ideas and here is what I am thinking of doing now, let me know if this is an improvement.

Cedar plank salmon
Mediterranean couscous
Arugula salad with green apples, cranberries, gorgonzola, pine nuts, and balsamic vinaigrette

And either a Chardonnay or Shiraz.

How's that? Not too much sweetness there, except for maybe salad, which I could always cut out the apples or cranberries if that would be too much.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Sounds like the repeat of another thread. IMO, with all that sweetness and oriental going on, a Reisling would be too much. If I were pairing this main course, I would start with a Cosmo. The orange and cranberry should carry over to the sweetness of the main course. Don't know your budget, but a champagne would work well. A Vueve Cliquot at around 40 bucks would be my choice. Lower down in price I would choose an unoaked dry Chardonnay or Pino Gris. An adventusome choice would be a Muscadet. All around 10-15 bucks. Looking at a dessert, A simple berry shortcake would work for me. It would work with the champagne. An off the wall dessert that I have used is a Belgian Lambic berry beer. Not too expensive, not to alcholic, beg to be sipped, and definitely different.
Odd you would say that, Big Jim! Riesling is one of the most recommended wines to go with Asian flavors. What was in those dishes that made you think it would be a bad choice? I think Muscadet, which is "perfect" (imho) with oysters, would get lost with all those bold flavors.

Champagne really does go with everything, especially seafood, and would work as a beverage starting with the aperitif up to dessert.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Okay so I have revised my ideas and here is what I am thinking of doing now, let me know if this is an improvement.

Cedar plank salmon
Mediterranean couscous
Arugula salad with green apples, cranberries, gorgonzola, pine nuts, and balsamic vinaigrette

And either a Chardonnay or Shiraz.

How's that? Not too much sweetness there, except for maybe salad, which I could always cut out the apples or cranberries if that would be too much.
I wouldnt recommend Shiraz with salmon. If you want to pair a red wine with it, a lighter red like Pinot Noir works better.

Chardonnay could work, but there are so many of them and so many styles... some would and some probably wouldn't.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I wouldnt recommend Shiraz with salmon. If you want to pair a red wine with it, a lighter red like Pinot Noir works better.

Chardonnay could work, but there are so many of them and so many styles... some would and some probably wouldn't.
So what do you think then would be the best overall wine choice?