TGIF 2/11/11 What's Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
No thread yet today? Amazing!

I've got tons of food, but can't seem to find that one thing I'd like to make for dinner.

I was hoping to get ideas from today's thread, but it hadn't been started yet.

What is everyone doing for dinner?

We decided to KISS it tonight, so it's BLTs and store bought potato salad.

Craig

Grilled Reuben sandwiches*, pickles and chips with a bottle or two of beer.

*made with pumpernickel, Russian dressing, corned beef, Swiss cheese (Emmental), sauerkraut and a dab of horseradish.

Oven Stuffer Roaster
Stuffing Rice
Steamed Broccoli
Lion House Rolls
Babetoo's Scalloped Pineapple

Repeat of Tuesday's Fajita dinner w/ rice and refried beans. I still had 1/2 a flank steak to cook up.

Grilled Reuben sandwiches*, pickles and chips with a bottle or two of beer.
*made with pumpernickel, Russian dressing, corned beef, Swiss cheese (Emmental), sauerkraut and a dab of horseradish.

Is there any other way? :cool: Love my reubens!!! :)

Making sloppy Rubens. The corned beef has been in the crock pot. I just finished shredding it and put it back in. Will add the sauerkraut when DH gets home. Have some German potato salad that will be warmed up and served with it.

Kathleen got her new pressure cooker/canner yesterday so I thought I would try it out...

Looked though the book that came with it (yeah, I looked in a DT cookbook) and decided I liked the look of the Coq au Vin recipe.

We both enjoyed it, even if I didn't add quite enough salt and left the burner up a tad too long.

8 minutes to cook*.. wow....

*the prep time was close to 45 minutes, but once you launch this thing it was quick. :LOL:

I made up a casserole for tonight, and it's safely waiting in the fridge till dinner time. Who knows yet if it's any good, but this is what I did on the fly..

Asparagus was on sale for 99 cents a lb!! I bought a Costco roasted chicken yesterday.

Snapped the ends off of a pound of asparagus, cut it in half, and put on the bottom of a small casserole. Boiled up some orzo pasta to half done, and added that. Then I boned half the chicken, sliced and added that. I made a med. thick white sauce (butter, flour, milk), added some Sherry, brown mustard, mayo and curry powder, and spread it over the whole thing. Topped it with sliced almonds and sprinkled with paprika. How does that sound?

Report to follow after dinner. :chef:

The Reuben thread has inspired me to make do with an old standby.

I had someone make a "Reuben" for me once with sliced kielbasa. It was very good.

So it's about 1/3 kielbasa sliced into equal lengthwise slices, Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing with horseradish, and sauerkraut.

For bread, I'm using two smaller tortillas. I'll brown the slices of kielbasa, assemble the sandwiches and toast like a quesadilla.

Unconventional, I know, but the bread I have is way too small for this.

Last edited:
I made up a casserole for tonight, and it's safely waiting in the fridge till dinner time. Who knows yet if it's any good, but this is what I did on the fly..

Asparagus was on sale for 99 cents a lb!! I bought a Costco roasted chicken yesterday.

Snapped the ends off of a pound of asparagus, cut it in half, and put on the bottom of a small casserole. Boiled up some orzo pasta to half done, and added that. Then I boned half the chicken, sliced and added that. I made a med. thick white sauce (butter, flour, milk), added some Sherry, brown mustard, mayo and curry powder, and spread it over the whole thing. Topped it with sliced almonds and sprinkled with paprika. How does that sound?

Sounds like a winner to me, KL!

I've never seen asparagus for 99 cents a pound. I'd grab some very quick. I thought I was doing good getting it for $2.49.

I bought a couple of small steaks and had baked potato and salad. We will have fresh strawberries with a tiny scoop of vanilla ice cream and maybe a tiny cookie for dessert.

Stove-top grilled shell steak, whole grain macaroni salad, steamed Brussels sprouts and salad.

img_968290_0_f8edecf13cd97c56c59c6a0f7809b2e6.jpg

Here's my Mexican influenced dinner.

Attachments

• 6 plated.jpg
    6 plated.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 184

DH and I both thought this was very tasty, so now I have to really write it down so we can have it again. I cooked it too long however, as the asparagus wasn't crisp tender like we like. I might add some grated Gruyere cheese to the white sauce mixture next time.

I've never seen asparagus for 99 cents a pound. I'd grab some very quick. I thought I was doing good getting it for $2.49.
licia, we can get it as a "leader" from Von's market early in the year like this.....I bought 7 lbs of it. :rolleyes: There's so much you can do with it.
I see crab and asparagus soup on the menu soon. :chef:

Great pictures Pacanis and MsM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom