TGIF Dinner 12/05

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I am doing something with hamburger I think. I am feeling singularly uninspired so if someone has something fabulous and easy for me to whip up I would love a recipe. Its raining and nasty out so I am just in a blah space. What are y'all doing for dinner?

I'm spending the day packing for our first car camping trip of the year.
It's going to be a chore... so I think dinner will be soup from a can or scrambled eggs.

Wow Alix, for a minute there I was confused by your date, but then realized your in Canada. Hamburger, hmmm, how about some cheeseburgers with sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers...whatever your favorite toppings are. Simple and delicious. Or meatloaf?

I dont cook on Fridays, this is my day to get a take out pizza. We like pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, and jalapenos on ours.

We are going to the fish place around the corner for our house. DW is doing low carbs again so that is an easy place for her to eat. The staff there knows and loves our daughter and she loves looking at all the fish in the fishtanks so everyone wins :)

amber said:
Wow Alix, for a minute there I was confused by your date, but then realized your in Canada. Hamburger, hmmm, how about some cheeseburgers with sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers...whatever your favorite toppings are. Simple and delicious. Or meatloaf?

I dont cook on Fridays, this is my day to get a take out pizza. We like pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, and jalapenos on ours.

Ok.....I may be having a true blonde moment but December 2005 in Canada??????

SizzlininIN said:
Ok.....I may be having a true blonde moment but December 2005 in Canada??????
Most of the world lists the day first and then the month. The US does it opposite :cool:

Alix said:
I am doing something with hamburger I think. I am feeling singularly uninspired so if someone has something fabulous and easy for me to whip up I would love a recipe. Its raining and nasty out so I am just in a blah space. What are y'all doing for dinner?

How about Pastichio/Pastitsio? Or - if you want something quick and easy with ground beef try this one. (You could use ziti in place of the potatoes.) Serve with steamed buttered broccoli or a salad. I'd double most everything here, and bake it in a large oblong pyrex dish, as I don't see it serving 4.

Beef, Potato & Mozzarella Lasagna
Serving Size : 4

1 lb. potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan, Grated
2 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, brown meat with onion in large nonstick skillet, stirring occasionally. Drain. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet.

Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan and egg whites until well blended. Spoon half of the meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with half of the potatoes; top with layers of the ricotta cheese mixture, remaining potatoes and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Last edited:
Thanks, Michele. I prefer Pastitsio, but this is quick and easy.

I'm not sure yet. I'll let dh decide after he blows his top!! I messed up on the checkbook by $200 OUCH!!! I subtracted an amount and made it a 9 instead of an 7. OOPS, I'm in trouble!!:angel: So, whatever he wants, he get's this time!!!!:-p

texasgirl said:
I'm not sure yet. I'll let dh decide after he blows his top!! I messed up on the checkbook by $200 OUCH!!! I subtracted an amount and made it a 9 instead of an 7. OOPS, I'm in trouble!!:angel: So, whatever he wants, he get's this time!!!!:-p

Better greet him at the door in your birthday suit chicky~!:angel:

Tonight is grab your own dinner...

Hamburger? Hmm...I've been working on that myself with this drasted grocery list. So far we have tacos and meatloaf (with bbq sauce) on the list.

Tonight for dinner I am doing tender meat with mashed potatoes and gravy, cole slaw, aparagus and onions roasted and Placerville's Apple Hill Apple Cake. Gad this house smells terrific:ROFLMAO:

Alix said:
I am so sorry I hadn't read this earlier, I could have added my favorite casserole. If you haven't tried it and ingredients sound good to you, it really is the perfect comfort food, especially on a rainy day.
Hope your weather looks up!
Carpathian Cabbage

1 pound ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 sm head cabbage
1 can tomato soup undiluted
1 tablespoon garlic flavored vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
-------
Brown beef in large skillet pan and stir in the chopped onion, saute until tender. Quarter cabbage, chop fine to a shred. Drain fat from beef and stir in tomato soup and rest of ingredients except cabbage. Stir well, now add the cabbage and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. This goes nicely over steamed brown or white rice or buttered noodles. You choose.

Mish, I will be making this I love the idea of how it sounds to my tasters!
Beef, Potato & Mozzarella Lasagna
Serving Size : 4

1 lb. potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan, Grated
2 egg whites
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, brown meat with onion in large nonstick skillet, stirring occasionally. Drain. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet.

Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan and egg whites until well blended. Spoon half of the meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with half of the potatoes; top with layers of the ricotta cheese mixture, remaining potatoes and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Last edited:
I had a really busy day today...I was still working at 7:00 so mr. callie was wonderful and fixed supper - fried oysters and french fries (cold beer and wine to go with). It hit the spot!

another weird and nasty week with everyone out of the house at random times and errands in the evening.

so I finally had a bowl of cheerios with a banana last night and I didn't notice what HH fixed for himself. Daughter went to the movies around dinnertime and probably pigged out on popcorn.

Tonight is meatloaf and potatoes but I'm not sure how I will cook the pototoes yet.

LEFSElover said:
Mish, I will be making this I love the idea of how it sounds to my tasters!

Thanks Lefs. Like your recipe for the cabbage and noodles too. Copied and saved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom