TGIF What's cooking May 15, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Baked cod and an assortment of leftover vegetables. I will combine the vegetables and let them marinate in a simple vinaigrette dressing.

For a slightly more complicated version try this recipe from Sydney Smith, 1839.

"To make this condiment your poet begs
The pounded yellow of two hard-boil'd eggs;
Two boiled potatoes, passed through kitchen seive,
Smoothness and softness to the salad give.
Let onion atoms lurk within the bowl,
And, half-suspected, animate the whole.
Of mordant mustard add but a single spoon,
Distrust the condiment that bites too soon;
But deem it not, thou man of herbs, a fault
To add a double quantity of salt;
Four times the spoon with oil of Lucca crown,
And twice with vinegar procur'd from town;
Lastly o'er the flavour'd compound toss
A magic soupçon of anchovy sauce.
Oh, green and glorious! Oh, herbaceous treat!
Twould tempt the dying anchorite to eat;
Back to the world he'd turn his fleeting soul,
And plunge his fingers in the salad-bowl!
Serenely full, the epicure would say,
Fate cannot harm me, I have dined today."

A little poetry for the day. Thank you Aunt Bea!

Today is our date night that we postponed earlier. Early dinner either at a burger palace we have not tried or Chinese buffet. Movie to follow at an old neighborhood theater. If we get to the movies early, we can wander through the garden store across the street first.

AB, I like your version. It's much quicker.

Told Himself today is a "YOYO supper". He thought I was dragging him out to some strange event until I said we were having leftovers and "You're On Your Own". I might be nice and make salad, but I'm thinking I'd rather have all the bits of veggies just gone. Gotta make room for the next round of produce.

Roast Beef w/ mashed & gravy, butter beans, asparagus.

img_1422037_0_a11ba84886ee291b9fb760ffab02ebda.jpg

This is the first picture I've ever taken with a SmartPhone (hate the thing). Blurry (I am OBVIOUSLY better at cooking than taking pictures with that phone--need a lot more practice) but it gives you a sense of what I ate for late lunch/early supper. The salad is watercress with pomelo, roasted asparagus and heirloom carrots with lemon butter, roasted cauliflower with toasted garlic slices, quail with white pepper coating, topped with a red pepper sauce, sitting on a bed of toasted barley. I forgot the cilantro on top of the red pepper sauce. I didn't prep the romaine lettuce because the watercress had to be consumed or become chicken feed.

Attachments

• 20150515_134442.jpg
    20150515_134442.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 214
Homemade Pizza and knots were great. I added my AP seasoning, parsley and basil to the dough. No pics because everyone was hungry.

Joey, that roast beef is too perfect to hide with gravy. :yum:

Well, there was a small change in our dinner plans. We DID eat leftovers. However, some of the leftovers were from my SIL! She dropped off 1/2 of a turkey, carcass and all, along with gravy and stuffing. Not knowing that the food fairy was going to add things to my fridge, I just managed to get all the cold foods into it. Bonus: nothing jumps out at you when you open the door. :LOL: Sadly, no room in fridge or freezer for the carcass for stock. :neutral:

DH wanted to go out for dinner last night so we went to our favorite Mexican-inspired restaurant. Started with margaritas, chips and their house-made salsa. Then I had their incredibly delicious braised beef short rib open-faced tamale with mole sauce. Oh so good! DH had pork mole with mashers and spinach.

Attachments

• 1431798806999.jpg
    1431798806999.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 1431798817308.jpg
    1431798817308.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 1431798830130.jpg
    1431798830130.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 203

Latest posts

Back