"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Head Chef
I made a kitchen sink salad with swiss steak (made in the pressure cooker) and a big bowl of spinach. It sure looks appetizing. My family will have it all eaten by the time I get home from work tonight so there's no telling what I will end up eating. I hate working evenings.

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I hate working evenings.
Me too. I miss my family and our time together, but what can you do?

I'm going to leave dinner for the crew here. I'm leaning towards either taco salad or spaghetti or chili. Something tomatoey and ground beefy. I'm waiting to see what the weather does before I decide completely. I might need to leave something really stick to your ribbish if the temperature plummets as expected. I leave for work at 215 so I'm hoping there will be something left for me at 11pm!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Master Chef
I want to make 2 types of bread dough if my body lets me!! LOL
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I hope you enjoy it!!
I'm sure I will. When I checked the package of wild rice I found it to be a mixture including several brown rices and others. It's very pretty and will look perfect with the confettiness of your recipe.

I don't know if my screenshot will come out, but the brand is Lundberg Family and the mix is the 3rd mix, Wild Rice and Gourmet W ...OOPS!!!!!!

Long Grain Brown Rice, Sweet Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Whole Grain Wehani Rice, Whole Grain Black Japonica Rice

YAY, I got it to work! 
Name:   Tada.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  11.1 KB

I want those smileys, MsMofet. It would copy it, but not the animation. The pot and kettle are precious!

I found a container of dark stock and it melted down to 1-3/4 C so I just added a little water. I had defatted it, but there was about a tablespoon's worth, so I let that go for the butter.

The stock is from a large can of Beef & Juices we often get in our commodity box. It's a strong beef flavor, and the meat doesn't need to stock to taste good. I just melt the stock and fat out, then defat it.

I think it will taste good with that rice mixture. It says to cook for 50 minutes and let set for 10 more.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I have a pork roast going in the crockpot today. It's a recipe I've never tried that uses cola and ketchup. I threw in some onions and potatoes for good measure. I plan to make a gravy out of the liquid now that I have gravy-making pretty much licked (woot!!)
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Master Chef
I have some boneless skinless thighs I need to cook.
Think I'll fry them up with Panko bread crumbs, and have some smashed taters and gravy with a big green salad.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Master Chef
Site Administrator
I bought some dry sea scallops to pan sear. Will likely try to make a lemon/wine sauce to go with them. Add to that some roast asparagus and some steamed rice with crimini mushrooms.

Is it dinner time yet?
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Tonight is "date night," so we will be eating (and watching movies) at our best friends' house tonight. She is making lasagna.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Master Chef
Site Moderator
I'm making a stock with the bones from Monday's pork roast. I'll be using that to make lentil soup for dinner tonight.
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
MsMofet's Confetti Soup took on a life of it's own. The delicious rice mixture with the beef stock from the canned beef, then celery, onions, garlic in fresh pot of chicken stock.

I used half the rice mixture. I can make another soup/stew with it later. Mmmmm!

At this point in the Confetti soup I'm supposed to make the cream sauce, but my taster cup is telling me this soup wants Teriyaki. I used some of the sherry braised pork. This part of the pork roast was the part sitting in the sherry braising liquid. It's awesome.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote