TGIFriday 10/14/2011 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Smoked ham steak Undecided how it will be cooked but am leaning towards split pea soup on another dreary storm threatening day.

Any plans?

Smoked ham steak Undecided how it will be cooked but am leaning towards split pea soup on another dreary storm threatening day.

Any plans?

Nope, sorry... that just doesn't work for me. Do you have any other ideas? :LOL:

I have absolutley NO IDEA what I want tonight for dinner. I am in need of some major inspiration. No leftovers on hand either (I was such a pig last night). I am reduced to snacking on Ritz crackers right now :wacko:

Lets get those dinner plans coming in folks. pacanis needs some idears ;)

Nope, sorry... that just doesn't work for me. Do you have any other ideas? :LOL:

I have absolutley NO IDEA what I want tonight for dinner. I am in need of some major inspiration. No leftovers on hand either (I was such a pig last night). I am reduced to snacking on Ritz crackers right now :wacko:

Lets get those dinner plans coming in folks. pacanis needs some idears ;)
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Chicken wings? LOL Burgers? Any freezer food? What do you have to work with? If nothing go to the store AFTER you fill up on the crackers LOL Look for sale items and a meall will form.

Bacon wrapped chicken tenders pacanis. And take pictures.

Dinner tonight is once again going to be hit and run dang it. Oldest daughter works at 6, youngest is in a volleyball tourney til who knows when. BAH! I miss all of us sitting down to dinner together.

I think I'll make a pot of chili or something like that so everyone can have something hearty whenever they are home.

I'm defrosting some chicken thighs. If that gives you an idea, share it with me as I am stuck on what to do with them.

Andy, there was a really good chicken thigh recipe over in Ethnic. lemme go see if I can find it for you.

found it...
Czech Chicken and Sauerkraut

8 Chicken thighs
1 Tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. margarine (or butter)

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 lb sauerkraut (try to find Polish or German kraut in a jar.)
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. caraway seeds
dash of pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
several parboiled/steamed potato chunks, drained
2 cooking apples, cored and cut into thin wedges

Sprinkle chicken with salt and brown on both sides in margarine/butter in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender. Sprinkle some caraway seeds over the chicken as it browns. Mix together the kraut, water, caraway, pepper, brown sugar and potatoes. Add to chicken and onion and mix well. Cover skillet and cook 10-12 minutes or until chicken is tender.

Last edited:
hmmm, bacon something... That's always a possibility

I don't feel like defrosting anything that takes time, so I'm pretty much open to whatever I can find at the local grocery store if I go out.
I had chicken last night and earlier in the week, but that doesn't necessarily rule it out again. As long as it's cooked differently, what the hey, right?
Shrimp defrosts quickly though, and I've got a lot of shrimp in the freezer. Come to think of it, I've got some crab legs in there, too. And it is Friday... maybe some shrimp carbonara and crab legs? That's a possibility.

I'm kind of in the mood for some kind of casserole though, lol.

how about a shrimp gumbo, pac?

dinner tonight for us will be whatever is served at monster golf. it's a monster themed, black lighted, indoor miniature golf course.

really, it's a birthday party for dw's best friend's kids: an 8 year old girl, and a 4 year old boy, both cute as buttons who are little tornadoes. fun little kids.

the 8 year old is the only girl i've ever known who has her own pink, .22 cal. rifle, lol.

i hope dinner isn't carboard pizza and fried to death, mechanically seperated chicken fingers.

It looks like it's gonna be another scorcher today, so I'm thinking some kind of green salad with meat in it, probably from a fast food place

Good call, BT!
I've got a bowl sized portion of some gumbolaya in the freezer. That will give me my 'face over a bowl of steamy goodness' feeling that a casserole would have. I think, lol.
I'm off to pull that, some crab legs and some shrimp out of the freezer.

de nada, pac. the only casserolio type of dish with shrimp that i came... with which i came up was gumbo or etouffe.

or maybe a shrimp frittata. or shrimp parm.

We're having chicken thighs for dinner. I'm taking b/l s/l chichen thighs and tossing them with flour seasoned with salt & pepper, and some creole seasoning. Then I will drizzle them with some EVOO and oven bake them at 400* for 20 minutes, flip and finish baking. On the side we'll have some smashed garlic potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

lucky me, i have yummy leftovers. oven fried corn flake chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, oriental cabbage salad. french onion soup. and german chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert. however, i just ate cake for brunch. oh well, doesn't mean i can't have more.

babetoo said:
lucky me, i have yummy leftovers. oven fried corn flake chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, oriental cabbage salad. french onion soup. and german chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert. however, i just ate cake for brunch. oh well, doesn't mean i can't have more.

Some hellacious leftovers, Babe! Wow!

Is your cabbage salad recipe posted here somewhere?

Last edited:
the 8 year old is the only girl i've ever known who has her own pink, .22 cal. rifle, lol.

[/QUOTE]</p>My how times have changed! I was the only little girl on the block who had a pink Tonka truck. My father inadvertently threw it out when cleaning the garage when I was in university (something I will never let him forget). The pink .22 cal rifle will give her a strong sense of who she is as she grows up. I didn't know 8 yr. olds were "playing" with pink .22 cal. rifles these days, yikes!

tell me about it, cws. her dad is an avid hunter, so as soon as she was able to hold a rifle, he had her learning gun safety and shooting targets.

it's a little nuts, but so long as he's right next to her, i guess ir's ok.

Back
Top Bottom