Thai is on our plate, yours? 8-21-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A great big hearty roast beef sandwich made with leftovers from last night's spoon roast along with lettuce, tomato, mayo, pickled jalapeños and an iced tea to wash it all down.

Gooooood luck on your cake GG! We'll need a full report with pics ok?

We're having two huge artichokes and TJ's "Lemongrass Chicken Stix" that are excellent btw.

Competiton cake? Will we get to see it?

Vegies here...lots of vegies. Tonight is a throwback dinner...back to our poor and vegetarian days. Brown rice and steamed vegies topped with cheese sauce. Have green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, sweet Italian peppers, onions and a few snow peas.

Our day neutral strawberries have kicked back in, so dessert is balsamic strawberries with whipped mascarpone and cream.

I'm on my own tonight and forgot about supper until I saw this thread. It will be smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese, sliced onion, and capers. Easy and tasty.

I found a decent looking lamb shoulder chop (harder to find now), marinated it overnight and will oven broil it along with a baked potato, steamed asparagus and a salad.

A great big hearty roast beef sandwich made with leftovers from last night's spoon roast along with lettuce, tomato, mayo, pickled jalapeños and an iced tea to wash it all down.

Andy, I had never before heard of a 'spoon roast', so curious me had to look it up. A low and slow cooked sirloin roast with a nod to a Massachusetts market owner from the past, yes? Sounds good! :yum: I learn something new here just about every day. :)

Spoon Roast

Last edited:
I'm busy baking my competition cake for tomorrow...
Good luck! Your practice one looked nice. Couldn't critique the taste, though, since my fork couldn't reach quite that far. ;)

We had breakfast for supper. Two-egg omelet. Technically a four-egg one, cut in half. Mushrooms were throughout, then Himself's half had caramelized onions, my side had spinach and tomato. Topped it all with mozzarelli. Made home fries, turkey sausage, and bacon. Made a stone-fruit salad and put it in Mom's Vaseline sherbet cups. You know, to make dinner "healthy".

Attachments

• 2015-08-21 20.38.51.jpg
    2015-08-21 20.38.51.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 155
Andy, I had never before heard of a 'spoon roast', so curious me had to look it up. A low and slow cooked sirloin roast with a nod to a Massachusetts market owner from the past, yes? Sounds good! :yum: I learn something new here just about every day. :)

Spoon Roast

Cheryl, the spoon roast I bought was not a pot roast. It was a tied sirloin roast that I grilled at higher temps and served medium rare. It has a great beefy flavor and was reasonably tender.

Actually, I was surprised it was as good as it was. After all, it was $3.99/Lb and Select grade. I plan to go back tomorrow and buy another while the price is still low. It's actually a dollar a pound less than chuck roast.

It looked like this:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 69
Cheryl, the spoon roast I bought was not a pot roast. It was a tied sirloin roast that I grilled at higher temps and served medium rare. It has a great beefy flavor and was reasonably tender.

Actually, I was surprised it was as good as it was. After all, it was $3.99/Lb and Select grade. I plan to go back tomorrow and buy another while the price is still low. It's actually a dollar a pound less than chuck roast.

It looked like this:

Thanks, Andy. $3.99/lb is a great deal for a nice beefy tasting roast, especially one that you can grill to a nice med rare and still be tender. I hope you can find more tomorrow at that price. :)

Wow...I can't match all that tonight.

We had roast beef and provolone sandwiches au jus, and a little salad (sort of) of tomato slices, cucumber slices, grated radish, with some feta cheese and a squirt or two of Italian dressing.

Actually, I was surprised it was as good as it was. After all, it was $3.99/Lb and Select grade...
Based on your success, I'm thinking of getting one when I shop tomorrow. Well, today, Saturday. How do you think it would work for Pac's "Baltimore Pit Beef"? This is the recipe he used: How to Say Barbecue in Baltimore. It calls for a top round, so I see no problem with using the sirloin instead.

Back
Top Bottom