"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom is hooked on this gravy mix that she buys in a big thing at Sam's club. I have to admit it isn't half bad. She bought it for me once and I used it as a gravy thickener, I was pleased with the results.

At least you had gravy!

Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
At least you had gravy!
You need some therapy. Gravy therapy.

Go to the kitchen and make yourself a big pot of gravy and pour it over everything. Then eat it, relishing all that yummy, lip smacking goodness.

Go.

Right now!

You need to do this!

You're not still here, are you?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving 2014: The Meal! The Memories!

I'm still here, and still annoyed. 3 hours on the road, and all I can do is watch Hawaii 5-0.

Gravy tomorrow! We lost the leftovers.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
DH and BIL reminded me of my cousin's gravy from last year. It had the consistency of used dishwater, though slightly lighter in color. Similar taste.
I don't think I have ever made a bad gravy. The closest I have come to it was when I didn't remove enough of the fat on top before thickening it. When it was thick enough, the fat was floating on top and I was able to remove more of it. Enough to be edible.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving 2014: The Meal! The Memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't think I have ever made a bad gravy. The closest I have come to it was when I didn't remove enough of the fat on top before thickening it. When it was thick enough, the fat was floating on top and I was able to remove more of it. Enough to be edible.

My cousin doesn't believe in fat. Or gluten or salt or pepper or sage or poultry seasoning or....Plus she doesn't know how to turn on her oven, which makes me suspect she probably doesn't use it too much. I could be wrong.

I've never made a bad gravy either. The dishwater last year would classify as bad, but I didn't make it. Not sure what's worse, dishwater, or no gravy. Next year will be different!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I felt bad about one thing... my dear mother-in-law, knowing that I am on a diet made a sugar-free apple pie especially for me. Unfortunately, I can't eat apples or the crust. Out of guilt, I took a very, very tiny piece and just sort of picked away at it, but she knew.

In fairness, both my wife and I begged her a week ago to please not bring any sort of diabetic dessert, but she was insistent. I know she was only trying to look out for me, but it was just very awkward and now I feel terrible.
Please don't feel terrible. You were upfront about your dietary needs, diabetics need to stick to their guns. You have chosen what works for you. Don't let others, even well-meaning others, Bully/Guilt you into their idea of how to treat YOUR diabetes.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
My cousin doesn't believe in fat. Or gluten or salt or pepper or sage or poultry seasoning or....Plus she doesn't know how to turn on her oven, which makes me suspect she probably doesn't use it too much. I could be wrong.

I've never made a bad gravy either. The dishwater last year would classify as bad, but I didn't make it. Not sure what's worse, dishwater, or no gravy. Next year will be different!
My gravy was perfection...yes, I am rubbing it in. Go make yourself some gravy. My cheese sauce was, dare I say it, perfection...go make gravy and eat it on everything for the day.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use the packets of gravy mix all the time. I just use meat stock/broth (unsalted) for the liquid. It's delicious that way.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Gravy Packets = Portion Control...I get started making gravy, I must have a recipe or a packet, otherwise I end up with a gallon of the stuff.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thanksgiving