Thanksgiving 2014: The Meal! The Memories!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a great menu Steve. I'm curious to hear about the recipe you left on another thread for the casserole. Did you make that one and how did it go over? Just Like Loaded Baked Potatoes Casserole Recipe - Food.com
That was the Cauliflower dish that I brought. It went over very well! The only problem I found with the recipe is that the sour cream separated, and ended up looking a little grainy in the finished dish. Otherwise, the flavor was great. I would make it again, although next time I think I might try to make some sort of a creamy bacon and cheese sauce to mix with the cauliflower base, rather than the plain sour cream and cheese.

In fairness, both my wife and I begged her a week ago to please not bring any sort of diabetic dessert, but she was insistent. I know she was only trying to look out for me, but it was just very awkward and now I feel terrible. :(

Dessert at a big holiday feast can be an issue. Try putting out a bowl of mixed nuts, in the shell. I find that fiddling with the nut cracker keeps me busy so it only takes 2 or 3 walnuts and the last few sips of wine, from dinner, to satisfy me.

Dessert at a big holiday feast can be an issue. Try putting out a bowl of mixed nuts, in the shell. I find that fiddling with the nut cracker keeps me busy so it only takes 2 or 3 walnuts and the last few sips of wine, from dinner, to satisfy me.

What makes this even more exasperating is that I am not, nor ever have been, a dessert eater. So I don't know why anyone would get it in their head that I am suddenly missing out. In the past, I've never eaten dessert at family Thanksgivings, other than maybe an occasional thin sliver of pumpkin pie.

I'll take a glass of wine any day and call it dessert! :)

Well, my Thanksgiving is one that none of the attendees will forget. I arrived at my grandson's house and he and his girlfriend laid out the most beautiful appetizers on a lovely tray. I wasn't feeling well, but kept my mouth shut. I ask for a blanket and went in and took a short nap. I woke up feeling much better. So I showed my grandson how to make the gravy again. Everything was ready. Just had to set the table.

My heart starting racing like mad and the middle of my chest felt like the elephant was sitting on it and it hurt. I took a hit of my nitro. Nothing! Five minutes later, again took a hit and Nothing. "Barbara call 911, I am having a heart attack!" Everyone panicked. Finally one of her guests made the call and was sitting next to me. She had to good sense to hand the phone to me so I could tell them exactly the info they needed. About the time I hung up, the medics had arrived.

I have been telling the kids that something is wrong with my heart again. They kept blowing me away. Well, yesterday I proved what I was saying. I was all set to go home this morning. Then another doctor who remembered me for the past couple of years wanted me to take a Nuclear chemical stress test. I have had them before, and was nervous about doing it again. The last time I asked, "What if the test brings on a heart attack?" "That why the doctor is here." Well, that tells me a lot.

By the time I got through the test, which they had to stop and reverse, I was definitely ready to come back home. They think there may be a new blockage. If there is, they will call me Monday and I will check in late in the PM, I will go to the Cath Lab and they will perform an angioplasty to see if they can put in a stent.

So, this is one Thanksgiving no one will forget. I really feel bad for my grandson and his girlfriend. This was their first party in their new home. My daughter told me that no one really ate anything. Just picked a little. And his girlfriend is still in shock. She can't believe what happened. I will have to write her a nice note of apology. I didn't even to get have a bite. So at least she knows it wasn't her cooking that brought on the heart attack.

The two of them have discovered the joy of cooking. So for Christmas I am going to give them the Joy of Cooking since they only have one cookbook. It is the least I can do after ruining their first holiday party. :angel:

Last edited:
Oh no! Glad you're OK, Addie!

I'm feeling extremely deprived gravy-wise. No longer will I listen to two men who laugh at me due to my (correct) suspicions that there might not be gravy. I will bring gravy wherever I go from now on. Smh (which I just looked up, means shaking my head.)

My cousin and her husband are truly lovely people. But in her beautifully appointed kitchen with all the professional equipment, she didn't know how to turn on her oven. And BIL was quite the sensation, as he knows how to carve a turkey. None of the vegetarian gluten-free folks knew how. Thankfully I recruited him to do so.

Last edited:

I'm feeling extremely deprived gravy-wise. No longer will I listen to two men who laugh at me due to my (correct) suspicions that there might not be gravy. I will bring gravy wherever I go from now on. Smh (which I just looked up, means shaking my head.)

Maybe Santa will bring you one of these! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
image.ecobag-recycled-cotton-tote-with-pocket.natural.w460h520b3z1.jpg

Needs More GRAVY | Cotton Tote with Pocket | Skreened

My cousin and her husband are truly lovely people. But in her beautifully appointed kitchen with all the professional equipment, she didn't know how to turn on her oven. And BIL was quite the sensation, as he knows how to carve a turkey. Thankfully I recruited him to do so.

I am fine now, I think. I will know for sure Monday morning.

You are right. Always take gravy with you. And if they have already made gravy, you can mix yours in with theirs. Or serve it separately. I can't imagine a turkey meal without gravy. Roast Beef? Gravy! Chicken with dressing? Gravy! Meatloaf? Gravy! So many meals scream for gravy. :angel:

I am fine now, I think. I will know for sure Monday morning.

You are right. Always take gravy with you. And if they have already made gravy, you can mix yours in with theirs. Or serve it separately. I can't imagine a turkey meal without gravy. Roast Beef? Gravy! Chicken with dressing? Gravy! Meatloaf? Gravy! So many meals scream for gravy. :angel:

DH and BIL reminded me of my cousin's gravy from last year. It had the consistency of used dishwater, though slightly lighter in color. Similar taste.

We made several sides and we were guests at my Son's house this year. He did the turkey and two ducks in Webber barbeques. They were delicious but didn't have any usable drippings for gravy.

Get ready for my true confessions. :ohmy: Get ready to groan or look down your nose, and some may even run out of the room or ban me forever from DC. I can take it. Here goes..are you ready? I made the mandatory turkey gravy with Trader Joe's boxed turkey stock and packages of McCormick turkey gravy mix. There, I said it.

Everyone said it was the best gravy I've ever made. I don't know exactly what to say about that. Maybe it means all the years I've done the whole nine yards of spending hours making making my own gravy was really a waste of time and effort. Maybe it means I've learned something.

My mom is hooked on this gravy mix that she buys in a big thing at Sam's club. I have to admit it isn't half bad. She bought it for me once and I used it as a gravy thickener, I was pleased with the results.

My mom is hooked on this gravy mix that she buys in a big thing at Sam's club. I have to admit it isn't half bad. She bought it for me once and I used it as a gravy thickener, I was pleased with the results.

At least you had gravy!

At least you had gravy!

You need some therapy. Gravy therapy.

Go to the kitchen and make yourself a big pot of gravy and pour it over everything. Then eat it, relishing all that yummy, lip smacking goodness.

Go.

Right now!

You need to do this!

You're not still here, are you?

I'm still here, and still annoyed. 3 hours on the road, and all I can do is watch Hawaii 5-0.

Gravy tomorrow! We lost the leftovers.

Last edited:
DH and BIL reminded me of my cousin's gravy from last year. It had the consistency of used dishwater, though slightly lighter in color. Similar taste.

I don't think I have ever made a bad gravy. The closest I have come to it was when I didn't remove enough of the fat on top before thickening it. When it was thick enough, the fat was floating on top and I was able to remove more of it. Enough to be edible. :angel:

I don't think I have ever made a bad gravy. The closest I have come to it was when I didn't remove enough of the fat on top before thickening it. When it was thick enough, the fat was floating on top and I was able to remove more of it. Enough to be edible. :angel:

My cousin doesn't believe in fat. Or gluten or salt or pepper or sage or poultry seasoning or....Plus she doesn't know how to turn on her oven, which makes me suspect she probably doesn't use it too much. I could be wrong.

I've never made a bad gravy either. The dishwater last year would classify as bad, but I didn't make it. Not sure what's worse, dishwater, or no gravy. Next year will be different!

Last edited:
I felt bad about one thing... my dear mother-in-law, knowing that I am on a diet made a sugar-free apple pie especially for me. Unfortunately, I can't eat apples or the crust. Out of guilt, I took a very, very tiny piece and just sort of picked away at it, but she knew.

In fairness, both my wife and I begged her a week ago to please not bring any sort of diabetic dessert, but she was insistent. I know she was only trying to look out for me, but it was just very awkward and now I feel terrible. :(

Please don't feel terrible. You were upfront about your dietary needs, diabetics need to stick to their guns. You have chosen what works for you. Don't let others, even well-meaning others, Bully/Guilt you into their idea of how to treat YOUR diabetes.

My cousin doesn't believe in fat. Or gluten or salt or pepper or sage or poultry seasoning or....Plus she doesn't know how to turn on her oven, which makes me suspect she probably doesn't use it too much. I could be wrong.

I've never made a bad gravy either. The dishwater last year would classify as bad, but I didn't make it. Not sure what's worse, dishwater, or no gravy. Next year will be different!

My gravy was perfection...yes, I am rubbing it in. Go make yourself some gravy. My cheese sauce was, dare I say it, perfection...go make gravy and eat it on everything for the day.

I use the packets of gravy mix all the time. I just use meat stock/broth (unsalted) for the liquid. It's delicious that way.

Gravy Packets = Portion Control...I get started making gravy, I must have a recipe or a packet, otherwise I end up with a gallon of the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom