"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Well, the country club I work at will be serving around 200 folks (or more) a Family-style dinner (Russian Service), plus take-out orders with whole birds, sides, etc. I'll be busy prepping up stuff for that on that particular week.

My other half and MIL will be prepping the food for here at home. They roast a turkey, stuffing inside the bird (which I won't eat), green bean casserole, rolls, pumpking pie, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I was hoping to talk my mom into trying to fry a turkey this year, but it does not look like that is going to happen. She said if i want to buy the rig and fry it myself that go for it. I would love to do it, but I can't justify spending the money on the rig. Maybe next year I will do it

Old 10-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #13
Head Chef

I'm not sure what I am doing this year. If I stay up here in NY it will just be my boyfriend and me, but I might go back home. My family is deciding whether or not to have Thanksgiving up at our lakehouse. If I stay in NY I will just make up a few dishes, but below is a list of what my family usually makes at Thanksgiving.

Appetizers:
lobster mouse
cheese ball or chili cheese dip
herbed cheese wraped in crescent
chex mix

Dinner:
Roasted or smoked turkey
mashed potatoes and gravy
stuffing
sweet potato casserole
green rice-My aunt usually brings this over
vaidalia onion casserole
waldorf salad
green bean casserole

Dessert:
pumpkin chiffon cake
If I am there I usually make Paula's gooey pumpkin slices
chocolate cake
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugDbold
Okay, I realize this is off topic... but.. what exaclty is Haggis? Have heard it mentioned forever but never met anyone who actually had eaten it.
You've obviously met very few Scottish people then, as it is a staple of our diet. I don't want to hijack your Thanksgiving thread - but you may be interested to read a little more about haggis on the MacSween's site - MacS makes the best commercially available haggis in Scotland - they even make vegetarian types. http://www.macsween.co.uk/homepage.htm
Old 10-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
You've obviously met very few Scottish people then, as it is a staple of our diet. I don't want to hijack your Thanksgiving thread - but you may be interested to read a little more about haggis on the MacSween's site - MacS makes the best commercially available haggis in Scotland - they even make vegetarian types. http://www.macsween.co.uk/homepage.htm
I would like to see Dug's jaw drop to the floor when he finds out what Haggis is!!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day in Italy either, but probably I will make some pumpkin pies... I introduced it to Cris and his family and friends around the time of Thanksgiving last year just for fun, and everyone loved it!!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #16
Master Chef

[QUOTE
Dinner:
Roasted or smoked turkey
mashed potatoes and gravy
stuffing
sweet potato casserole
green rice-My aunt usually brings this over
vaidalia onion casserole
waldorf salad
green bean casserole

[/QUOTE]

abj, what is vidalia onion casserole???
It sounds like something I would love. Do you have a recipe?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
Cook

Thanksgiving is our absolutely most favorite day of the year. We like it all just to ourselves, we buy a huge bird, give it a name, and take before and after pictures. We save the little weight and price tag (toetags) and keep all our turkey-day memories in a file.

Fix turkey in the morning (have mimosas)
Fix brunch (have Bloody Marys)
Prepare all the traditional things in early afternoon and watch football (Miller Lite)
Put traditional foods in oven (open bottle of wine)
Eat (more wine)

Yes, we are silly. But we're on our 22nd bird and all our friends and family call us each year to see what the name is!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I would like to see Dug's jaw drop to the floor when he finds out what Haggis is!!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day in Italy either, but probably I will make some pumpkin pies... I introduced it to Cris and his family and friends around the time of Thanksgiving last year just for fun, and everyone loved it!!
Excuse me but

I just read what they are. omg, that sounds really bad.
I would probably like it if I didn't know what it was, but, not now, no thank you. Just like I won't eat rocky mountain oysters either and those are eaten her like candy in some places. Not me, no way
Old 10-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlueHeron

Fix turkey in the morning (have mimosas)
Fix brunch (have Bloody Marys)
Prepare all the traditional things in early afternoon and watch football (Miller Lite)
Put traditional foods in oven (open bottle of wine)
Eat (more wine)
I want to eat {drink}at your house!!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #20
Head Chef

Texas Girl,
When I get home I will post the recipe under the casserole section for you. It is one of my favorite side dishes. I will sometimes make it just for myself. I think you will love it if you can find the onions. My mom will store them up just for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have gone from making 1 casserole to 2 casserole's for the holiday's.