"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #31
Sous Chef

We cooked a 21 lb. bird with all the fixins this last w/e and have turkey often anyway.

I want to cook something different this year, just not sure what.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

thanksgiving at granddaughter's house. same old favorite dishes. i am doing the green bean cass. gonna make a pumpkin dump cake with glazed pecans on top. the cheesecake i made last year, was very good. not a good thing to let sit out.

my granddaughter , that lives in another town, usually does the day before thanksgiving. same traditional foods. i am always asked for sweet potato casserole for this one. i love the side dishes better than the turkey. though a sandwich the next day is good.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i hope my family decides to get together this year at my parents' house. each of my sibling's or their spouses have a great dish that we all request them to bring, and one of us goes down to my parents' house the night before to help mom cook the turkey in the morning and get everything set up. it ends up being a somewhat ecclectic mix, but i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

i'm looking forward to: olive, gardiniere, and pickle platter; devilled eggs; shrimp cocktail; roast turkey, stuffing, and gravy; seperately - mashed potatoes, mashed butternut squash, and mashed turnips; savory herb greenbeans; pearl onions in cream; jellied and whole berry cranberry sauces: rye and italian bread; baked apples; pumpkin and apple pies; ambrosia salad; ice cream; tea and coffee; and italian and danish cookies

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Roast turkey
mashed potatoes
praline sweet potatoes
roasted carrots
stuffing
cranberry something
green bean casserole (usually brought by friend)
fresh homemade rolls
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
maybe coconut cream

The stuffing is pretty much the basic stuffing that my mom made. The praline yams are my Partner's dad's dish (no longer with us), he got the recipe off the label of a can of canned Yams, they are yummy. I always have to have homemade rolls, they are a tradition in my family, my mom always made the rolls, even when thanksgiving was at my grandparents house. My mom taught me to make pan gravy, so there are no substitutes there.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday. I used to love Christmas most of all, but maybe because it is so dragged out in the stores and there is so much prep and anticipation, that I am just not as in to it anymore.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday. I used to love Christmas most of all, but maybe because it is so dragged out in the stores and there is so much prep and anticipation, that I am just not as in to it anymore.
I totally agree with you!

Thanksgiving has become what Christmas used to be. A gathering of family and friends to enjoy good conversation around a communal table and remember the gifts that you know who has bestowed upon us.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I'm not even sure where I'll be for thanksgiving this year. Generally I contribute to what dad is making. The few years it was just Rol and I we did just a turkey breast, sweet potatoes, rutabega and pumpkin pie.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #38
Senior Cook

We normally have mostly the traditional things...

Turkey
Honey Baked Ham
Deviled Eggs
Potato Salad
Dressing
Cranberry Sauce (not many in our family eat it)
My Grandfather's BBQ chicken - Me & My Mama are the only ones that can make it
Corn
Baked Beans
Coleslaw
Collard Greens w/ Ham Hock and Sugar
Green Bean Casserole (I would love to eat - but whoever cooks it puts Mushroom soup in it and I absolutely despise Mushrooms)
Pecan Pies
Lemon Meringue Pie
Banana Pudding
Chocolate Pies
Cake that's called "Better than sex Cake"
A couple of other things that at the moment I can't think of.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #39
Executive Chef

jessica, are you sure it's mushrooms that turn you off to the green bean casserole? the small bits of mushroom in cream of mushroom soup don't taste even remotely like real mushrooms. in fact, they don't taste like anything at all, really. but i guess the psychological aversion to mushrooms by itself could be turning you off--the very IDEA of mushrooms--so difficult to combat....

but like others have suggested, there are other "cream of" soups that could be substituted. to me, the celery and chicken cream soups are practically indistinguishable from the cream of mushroom one, and they shouldn't gross you out....:)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #40
Head Chef

If I make it home I wil fry a turkey and bake a ham.