Thanksgiving Meal Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vitauta said:
jessica, are you sure it's mushrooms that turn you off to the green bean casserole? the small bits of mushroom in cream of mushroom soup don't taste even remotely like real mushrooms. in fact, they don't taste like anything at all, really. but i guess the psychological aversion to mushrooms by itself could be turning you off--the very IDEA of mushrooms--so difficult to combat....

but like others have suggested, there are other "cream of" soups that could be substituted. to me, the celery and chicken cream soups are practically indistinguishable from the cream of mushroom one, and they shouldn't gross you out....:)

It's a psychological thing! I hate knowing that it has anything in it that's associated with mushrooms! So that's what grosses me out not the taste.

I don't like the texture of mushrooms, actually I don't care for slimy or mushy anything.

I don't care for the taste of mushrooms either, but in certain things like cream of mushroom soup, the flavor is subtle and I can deal with it in things.

I've made the pot roast recipe with cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix (I've drifted away from those types of recipes though) and I pureed the soup, LOL, that made it better for me. I'm content with knowing that I'm weird.

Back
Top Bottom