"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta
jessica, are you sure it's mushrooms that turn you off to the green bean casserole? the small bits of mushroom in cream of mushroom soup don't taste even remotely like real mushrooms. in fact, they don't taste like anything at all, really. but i guess the psychological aversion to mushrooms by itself could be turning you off--the very IDEA of mushrooms--so difficult to combat....

but like others have suggested, there are other "cream of" soups that could be substituted. to me, the celery and chicken cream soups are practically indistinguishable from the cream of mushroom one, and they shouldn't gross you out....:)
It's a psychological thing! I hate knowing that it has anything in it that's associated with mushrooms! So that's what grosses me out not the taste.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't like the texture of mushrooms, actually I don't care for slimy or mushy anything.

I don't care for the taste of mushrooms either, but in certain things like cream of mushroom soup, the flavor is subtle and I can deal with it in things.

I've made the pot roast recipe with cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix (I've drifted away from those types of recipes though) and I pureed the soup, LOL, that made it better for me. I'm content with knowing that I'm weird.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote