Thanksgiving to Remember

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
When I was a young bride, LONG ago I volunteered to fix the turkey. I read all the cookbooks, asked advice, and knew I could do it. It was for my ex and his family. More than 30 people. Oh sure,I could do it no problem. I went through the whole process and noticed the thing did not smell right. Being unfamiliar with whole preparation I didn't really know what was wrong with it. When we sat down to eat it everyone said very good and said I did good job. Today, more than 30 years later, the turkey was rancid. Don't you think they should have said something? All the others had been cooking for long time and should have known. I cannot get that smell out of my brain. I feel bad that they actually ate it. Regardless of my effort eating rancid turkey is a bad thing and who would have cared about my feelings? I surely would have understood because I truly didn't know better. We are all here and no one got sick. That was my FIRST turkey and every one I have prepared since has a great smell. I think when you cook you have developed a keen sense of smell to know when something is bad. I often wonder what they said after they ate that turkey. Don't you think they knew it wasn't good? I must have let t he thing set out too long but the turkey had been on sale some time ago. Being the frugal wife my ex wanted I bought it. That was one of my most memorable and heartbreaking Thanksgiving meals I remember. Do any of you have some that are worse? Are there some that turned out better than you thought? At this time, I recall many of the dinners and that one stands out the most. Happy Thanksgiving, may you all count your blessing. This year I still don't have clue what I am going to do. Each year gets harder and harder to get started. When you have to cook for all men no ideas. Just they want to eat.

ITK, I know what you mean about no ideas. If I ever ask my husband what he wants for dinner his answer is always either "Food" or "I dunno". ARGH!!!!

As to the rancid turkey thing, you are the SECOND person in two days that I have heard similar stories from. I have never seen a rancid bird. GROSS! I am glad no one got sick. You know, it is sort of sweet that no one wanted to say anything to you about it.

We got a fresh one once at the store and when we got it home and opened it, it was spoiled.

I just got home from the store and someone advised me to soak in bourban. So I am. Also picked up cranberries, string beans, sweet potatoes, potatoes, bread for stuffing and of course fresh bird. Most of the people were in the liqour department. I could not figure that one out except maybe it helps them with cooking in the kitchen. Must serve some purpose. I could have gotten dish prepared for eating but the guys said it didn't sound good. I felt like picking up White Castles? Anyone hear of them? They always seem to do the trick but when you had the kind of mom we did, you knew you wanted to give them the best so I hope it is. What about people who don't know where they are eating tomorrow? I wonder if my inlaws think of that Thanksgiving. Like you said Alix, surprised they ate it. At least I am not the ONLY ONE who had rancid Thanksgiving. Maybe there is at least one other person as you said. Now as long as the stove continues to work and doesn't give me trouble. I have water coming in the basement from all this rain and snow we are having. But at least the complete house is not flooded and our toilets work. Have to look at positives. Thanks for sharing Rainee, I hope you took your turkey back or were they closed? Guess it smelled didn't it? I really never got chance to smell this one, just threw it in bourban that always smells same.

LOL! ITK, when I first read your post I thought YOU were soaking in bourbon not the turkey!!!!

Alix, maybe that would be better? I would at least feel good. Instead of being nervous about having everything chopped, peeled, strained, etc., I would probably be the first for that one. It does make someone want to jump somewhere when everything is getting ready for one meal. Like I tell everyone takes longer to fix the dinner than to eat it. I have all those dishes to clean up afterwards. Thank goodness I found this new dish soap Dawn Complete have you tried it? Really is a difference. Hope you husband helps by bringing his plate into the sink. Every little bit counts and you feel so grateful.

I am very lucky, my husband is a wonderful helper in the kitchen. (I still reorganize the dishwasher after he loads it though :)) I think you NEED to have a little nip of that bourbon ITK. Prepping a holiday feast is always a bit stressful, but you will feel better about it with the bourbon on board.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

I neeeded to hear that. Drinking this bourbon sure makes me feel less worried about getting the right amount for the recipe. I just figure after it is done, I'll doctor it up. Just so the bourbon lets me wake up tomorrow to start the baking. Bangbang, count your blessings. Having a mother in law eat your rancid turkey is something less to be desired. I never did make her happy anyway. Her husband told me he wanted me to know he didn't agree with everybody about what they said about me. Must have been pretty bad for him to say that. He is man who never talked bad about no one. Well, I have to go back in kitchen I am enjoying myself too much. Back to the booze oh I mean back to the kitchen.

Thanksgiving 1993..........my last one I was able to share with my youngest brother......he was murdered the following March. It was the last one where the whole family (except one brother) was able to spend together. We gorged ourselves then sat around playing games at the kitchen table.......we had so many laughs. I can still close my eyes and hear him laugh.......I treasure that and many more!

I came close to losing my life October 25, 1990 in an auto accident. By the grace of God I survived my injuries and could be with my family at Thanksgiving. I thank Him everyday for my blessings.

SizzlininIN said:
Thanksgiving 1993..........my last one I was able to share with my youngest brother......he was murdered the following March. It was the last one where the whole family (except one brother) was able to spend together. We gorged ourselves then sat around playing games at the kitchen table.......we had so many laughs. I can still close my eyes and hear him laugh.......I treasure that and many more!

Its nice to remember those fun times with the loved ones that have passed.

SizzlininIN said:
I'm so thankful God chose to keep you hear Wasabi...........you light up this board :)
Thank-you sizz.....you made my day.

Back
Top Bottom