"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-16-2005, 10:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Bread.

Yeast hates me. It senses my fear and always beats me.

Lee

Old 06-16-2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Executive Chef

This question kind of stumped me for the same reason as Allen...there hasn't been too many things that I haven't made, or that I've wanted to make but never tried. Escabeche used to be on that list but I started doing it last year. Oh...puffer fish. I've eaten it, but I don't know how to remove the poison sac. That would be something to learn to do.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

i want to try to order some sushi-grade fish and make my own sushi, but i'm not so sure i wouldn't botch it.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
pte choux
Oh Michael - you are right - they are sooooo easy it's scary!!!! The only thing you have to do for sure is make a slit in them so they don't deflate. Let them cool completely, then bag them. I make this great chicken salad to put in them (I know, everyone says thier chicken salad is great!). Just follow the directions i.e., one egg incorporated before you add the next one - you really need to try this. Do some with chicken salad and then save some for some custard drizzled with chocolate (mix Gheridelli (sp) chocolate with some coffee and heat until melted and put in squeeze bottle. You'll kick yourself for waiting so long!!.

I'm scared to make bread - I don't want to take the time to study it, I just want someone to show me. I'm one of those people that would rather take a class than read about it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #15
Master Chef

Ok elf - you help me over my choux phobia and I'll help you get started with a simple bread.

IronChef - you gret licensed, certified, and 30-years experience with a minimum of 3,000 customers without a fatality ... maybe then I'll try your fugu. Of course, you have to try it first in front of me before I try it ...
Old 06-18-2005, 02:11 AM   #16
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Bread.

Yeast hates me. It senses my fear and always beats me.

Lee
That needs to be on a tee shirt.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:51 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Red face

I agree with Michael - choux pastry freaks me out - never tried it (will one day, though). It has to be so LIGHT - I think that's what scares me. As for English puddings - what feaks you about these. The British (love 'em) aren't the most imposing of chefs Their recipes are pretty bland & ordinary (I know, I was raised on them!)SK
Old 06-18-2005, 04:57 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Arrow

Oh bread??!! Ask me ANYTHING! I never buy bread - make all my own loaves, rolls, breadsticks & pizza bases (not by machine but hand). Got to admit I feel VERY superior in this field - never had a failure. I also make the biga for the bread & use left-over whey from yoghurt or cheese making in it. Ask me anything!!!!!!! I would love to help someone after all the help I received today.

Cheers SK
Old 06-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrkim
Oh bread??!! Ask me ANYTHING! I never buy bread - make all my own loaves, rolls, breadsticks & pizza bases (not by machine but hand). Got to admit I feel VERY superior in this field - never had a failure. I also make the biga for the bread & use left-over whey from yoghurt or cheese making in it. Ask me anything!!!!!!! I would love to help someone after all the help I received today.

Cheers SK
i have a question! if a recipe calls for a packet of dry yeast, how much cake yeast do i sub out for that?
thanks!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:45 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

One sachet (here that is equal to 7 grams of dry yeast) equals about 15 grams fresh or compressed yeast. I have never used fresh yeast but, from what I have read & spoken to people who have used it, a general rule of thumb is to double the dry yeast rate for fresh - ie 10g dry yeast equates to 20g of fresh etc. Hope that helps.

SK