That One Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bake that souflee' - All about breaking the ice

One of the greatest things about evolving as a cook (or as any artist for that matter) is having something strange and unknown become familiar. Every technique on earth has but just a few building blocks and a few tools. The medium is just a vehichle for expressing a feeling. But the medium is master. Souflee' is a very basic (and old) concept.
The reason it's so hard to do is that you must be shown.
In a nutshell: you prepare a creme anglaise base with or without a bit of flour depending on what you're making.
Then you flavor the base. This can be done in advance.
Finally after you've counted backwards on your moment of service timeline, the base is "lifted" by folding in the egg white mixture (which like the base can be made a number of different ways), then put into ramekin and dusted. The consitsancy of these steps must be exact, the oven temperature must be exact as with the placement of the rack. Only way to see how easy this is is to watch a video of it.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
Ok elf - you help me over my choux phobia and I'll help you get started with a simple bread.

IronChef - you gret licensed, certified, and 30-years experience with a minimum of 3,000 customers without a fatality ... maybe then I'll try your fugu. Of course, you have to try it first in front of me before I try it ...

Yeah I know, but I'd have to move to Japan and live there for a few years in order to get certified. I worked once with Iron Chef Sakai when he came to Hawaii to do a benefit dinner. He's certified to cut and trim the fugu. I asked him to show me on a regular fish how to remove the poison and he did, but he said that if anyone dies, then don't say that he showed me. He has a great sense of humor that you can't really see from the show.

One of these days, I will work with Sole (northern whitefish) and Foie Gras. I've tried them only once or twice each, and I'm DYING to work with them. God, the things I could create with that sweet, flavorful whitefish...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom