That'za pasta Saturday, 9-26-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Spaghetti and meta-balls :D, probably some lightly dressed arugula to go with. Craig's busily making the meatballs now, actually he's already done and they are in the oven. He made enough to have leftovers, maybe even enough for another meal, and for one of his favorites, a meatball pizza. Basic t-sauce already made and pulled from freezer earlier, he'll just doctor it a bit and build on the base for meatballs.

I finally got around to baking the massive tub of chicken alfredo from United Way. I doctored it up a bit with extra parm and black pepper, the original was a tish bland. I froze a cottage cheese container of the leftovers, and we still have a goodly amount in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

OOh, I just got a taste of a meatball. He used pecorino romano instead of parm in the meatballs this time. Yummy, yummy in my tummy. Can't wait for the complete dish.

There has been a chill in the air so I have a pot of chili simmering on the stove. I'll make a skillet cornbread and open a beer to complete the meal.

I'll be making pan-seared pork chops with a spicy rub of cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne, topped with a pan sauce from the fond. Twice-baked potatoes and homemade applesauce on the side. The focaccia should be cooled enough by then to serve some with dinner.

Temperature is plummeting (52 and heading south), but I refuse to let go of summer. Burgers on the grill and some leftover bean and corn salad. Had to wear the flip flops on the patio. Shoes will be required soon enough.

I had lightly poached chicken thighs (in a sauce of celery, onions and thickened chicken stock) with green beans and thinly sliced potatoes pan fried (covered).

Usually I cut these potatoes thinly with a sharp knife but I bought a mandoline. Whilst it makes short work of providing finely sliced potatoes, it was a tad too thin/watery and I found my previous way produced a more crisp result....or perhaps there were too many slices in the pan. (Not sure).

Tonight I made a little casserole of musgoes. I went to remove it from the oven and the dish slipped out of my hand, bounced off the oven door, slid along a lower cabinet door and skidded across the kitchen floor before it came to rest against the refrigerator.

Why me Lord!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It took me longer to clean up the mess than it did to make and bake the casserole, now when I go into the kitchen I look from all angles to see if I can spot any tiny slivers or shards from the poor old Pyrex casserole.

So tonight's dinner was a cup of soup, cabbage salad and a handful of pistachios.

Well that truly sux, AB!

If you have a piece of white bread, use that on the floor to pick up any glass shards. It works!

(Don't eat the bread afterwards. But I bet you knew that.)

Last edited:
Oh no, AB! What a mess... :(

Just a light dinner here this evening. Potstickers, and edamame with a little sesame oil. Not very hungry this evening, I snacked a little this afternoon.

Wow AB, could have been worse. Glad you did not get cut or burned.

I'm not feeling so good (a cold coming on ) so I had chicken rice soup and I made some ice cream, avocado & lime...... so smooth and limey!

img_1438114_0_6bfe97b865331262d69ee825e2f51861.jpg

Wow.....what a great pic, Joey...that looks amazing! :ohmy: :yum: I hope your cold runs its course quickly.

I'll be making pan-seared pork chops with a spicy rub of cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne, topped with a pan sauce from the fond. Twice-baked potatoes and homemade applesauce on the side. The focaccia should be cooled enough by then to serve some with dinner.

I ran out of energy to make the pan sauce but the chops were nice and juicy without it. Everything is brown, but as Ann Burrell says, "Brown food tastes good!"

Attachments

• 1443318212556.jpg
    1443318212556.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 202
Pirate made a chicken with rice soup for himself. He thawed out a piece of haddock for me, but the soup was soooo good that I opted for that instead. I will have the fish tomorrow. :angel:

AuntB, that's too bad about the mess. I hate when I do things like that. Hope you get every little sliver of glass off the floor.

GG, that's a neat idea with the bread if you actually HAVE soft white bread. :LOL: Since we usually have rye or multi-grain here, I'll have to stick with my tried-and-true dampened paper towel.

medtran, I need to remember pecorino romano instead of parm the next time if I make meatballs.

I had a sirloin spoon roast that needed using up, so I made a pot roast with bacon, mushrooms and beer. Since the neighbor had her dogs out barking a lot today, I was able to get really fluffy mashed potatoes. :D We also had tiny Brussels sprouts. Perfect food for a cool autumn evening.

I always have Pecorino and Parm cheese on hand. But I prefer the Pecorino myself. It has a much more pronounced flavor and aroma. It can add so much depth to a dish. :angel:

oh Aunt Bea, I'm so sorry, I can just see it ...

017.JPG

It's just a beautiful evening, we sat out on the back patio while I grilled ...

018.JPG

a New York Strip Steak topped with Crimini Mushrooms in a garlic, butter and white wine sauce. Side dishes of sweet corn on the cob and diced Cucumbers for me and heirloom tomatoes for DH. I don't care for them...

dessert later... Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie!

Oh Aunt Bea, what a bummer.k

A friend came over for supper. We had pork schnitzel, roasted potato wedges, roasted root vegis, and rødkål. I served it with Mateus (Portuguese rosé wine). Homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom