The Dinner Thread - Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I had dinner a little early today. The soon-to-be-ex Mrs. K and I are working to get our house put up for sale, so I'm headed over there soon to help out (or get in the way :rolleyes:) where I can.

A friend gave me some homemade sauerkraut over the weekend. It's some of the best I've had, including my own homemade kraut. He puts dill seed in it, and claims that finely shredding the cabbage makes for a much milder flavor. I don't know about that, but he's got something working for him there. I paired it with a couple of Wisconsin artisan smoked sausages. :yum:

img_1463619_0_4e82ebe4bf17fdb0ad58a12ca3711faf.jpg

Oh no, I'm sorry. Divorce is no fun, SK. Hang in there.

We've got bratwursts with cheese stuffed in them, wrapped in bacon and put under the broiler until the bacon's crisp and the cheese is melty.

Artichokes are again in the mix. Steamed whole, with leaves dipped in drawn butter, salt and pepper. Then there's seasoned green beans, and cantaloupe and some leftover ice cream for dessert.

****Burrrrrrrpppp.**** I hope I can move after dinner to get to the TV remote.

Steve, your photo has Himself and me both drooling! Fortunately, we have something with sauerkraut going for our supper. Not homemade, though. One of these days...

I tossed a small piece of boneless pork loin into the slow cooker, along with onions, kraut, and white wine (we're too low on beer to use some for cooking). Seasoned with caraway seed, brown mustard seeds, and a few bay leaves. I'll serve it with mashed potatoes and braised red cabbage. Might crack open the jar of Amish pickled beets we picked up in PA. And I have two tired apples I'll turn into chunky sauce.

Yummy pic, Steve! We have some leftover mushroom chicken to work on, along with leftover cooked cabbage.

I need to foray into the homemade sauerkraut realm.

Last edited:
Steve, your photo has Himself and me both drooling! Fortunately, we have something with sauerkraut going for our supper. Not homemade, though. One of these days...

I tossed a small piece of boneless pork loin into the slow cooker, along with onions, kraut, and white wine (we're too low on beer to use some for cooking). Seasoned with caraway seed, brown mustard seeds, and a few bay leaves. I'll serve it with mashed potatoes and braised red cabbage. Might crack open the jar of Amish pickled beets we picked up in PA. And I have two tired apples I'll turn into chunky sauce.

That sounds so good :yum: I wonder how it would do in the Instant Pot.

DH is out teaching a class tonight and I have a Master Gardener meeting where we're having a pizza party. He'll have to scrounge for leftovers when he gets home.

It must be in the air today.

We are having brats simmered in beer and onion along with sauerkraut. I already did this part and they are just lollygagging until dinner time. Will finish on the grill. Frozen green beans with Bacon on the side.

Oh my, Steve...that looks delish! :yum:

As always, I'm inspired by the dinners posted. :)

I'm roasting a couple of chicken thighs, seasoned with Penzey's roasted garlic and onion powder. While those are resting and while the oven's on, I'm going to roast some sweet potato 'fries' and since it's a Penzey's kind of day, I'm going to try seasoning them with smoked paprika and cumin. Sliced avocado on the side.

Yummy pic, Steve! We have some leftover mushroom chicken to work on, along with leftover cooked cabbage.

I need to foray into the homemade sauerkraut realm.

Dawg,

Do a search on "one quart kraut" or "small batch kraut", you will see several recipes that simplify kraut making. Most of them are for a quart at a time but I think you could put it up in pints.

My brother and his gf invited me round their place to tea; they like to cook.

We had home made smoked mackerel pate (with creme fraiche and horseradish) served in a mini kiner jar on a small wooden board with melba toast. This was followed by a rich Italian sausage 'ragut' with superb, good quality al dente rigatoni. Dessert was home made curled brandy snaps filled with a creamy mixture (cream, nutella and vanilla) topped with berries and toasted hazelnuts.

They have already had my top, successful recipes so I will have to do a lot more recipe testing before I feel confident enough to invite these gourmets over!

Last edited:
Great idea, AB! Thanks!

Creative, your tea with your brother sounds fascinating!

Last edited:
Knoshing night for me. Spike brought me a large bag of Wise potato chips. I had to share them with Teddy. Is there anything that dog won't eat? The only thing I have seen him refuse is cooked mushrooms. Then I had about three large rice cakes with cheddar cheese. I'm full. For the four rice cakes that are left, I will put peanut butter on them and then zap them in the micro. The pb melts right down into the rice cake. It is like eating fresh roasted peanuts. :angel:

I'm heading out to the grill with some highly seasoned rib eye steaks, and the SC is making us some fresth spinach salads complete with sliced Crimini mushrooms and bacon onion dressing from TJ's. SC will have some garlic toast. I'm glad the wind has died down for the grilling.

Lot's of good sounding dinners here tonight!!

Last edited:
My dinner didn't turn out as expected. :LOL: Tyler has an after school activity on Tuesdays but it was cancelled - so after a "HELP!" phone call from his dad, little man came over just as I was taking the roast chicken out of the oven. By the time I made his snack and we played outside, I wasn't interested in roasting sweet potato 'fries' or making avocado salad, so I just had chicken. LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom