The first pancake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
What is it with the first pancake? I know I'm not the only one who messes up the first pancake. I can make 75 perfect ones after that, but the first one ALWAYS messes up. Why?

There is a Russian proverb: First pancake is always ruied.

I think it is ecause the temperature is not adjusted proparly.

Do you make them one at a time? I don't.

I put several on the griddle at once and they all come out the same.

I have heard repeatedly that the first crepe always comes out bad but never heard it applied to pancakes.

It's always my last one that is odd. Using up the batter gets you one that is too big or too small compared to the rest. And it's always flat for me since the batter has lost some of its "oomph". I make sure I put it right onto my own plate.

My SIL was always pancake challenged. Hers would come out in shapes...DH says they always looked like states and the family would try to guess which one!:ROFLMAO: She and her DH come to our home for pancakes now...

It is indeed the temperature of the pan that messes up the first pancake. I have been making the same pancakes on the same pan, on the same stove for so long that I know where to set the flame. I let the pan preheat while making the batter. I then lightly oil the pan surface, after the pan is hot. I make them 4 at a time, so close together that they almost touch (sometimes they do). The first batch comes out identical to the last batch.

Moral of the story, know your equipment and technique. It's like shooting a bow, consistancy in method will insure great results.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I used to have the first pancake syndrome too until I got me a cast iron skillet. Now ALL my pancakes are perfect, even ALL my crepes! :)

last one

It's always my last one that is odd. Using up the batter gets you one that is too big or too small compared to the rest. And it's always flat for me since the batter has lost some of its "oomph". I make sure I put it right onto my own plate.

My SIL was always pancake challenged. Hers would come out in shapes...DH says they always looked like states and the family would try to guess which one!:ROFLMAO: She and her DH come to our home for pancakes now...

Me too..the last ones I make is the weirdest and I end up eating it :chef:

I call that one the Kali cake, because it always goes to my Labrador Retriever, Kali. The last one, which is equally awkward because it's made with leftover batter is the Chase cake...because it goes to Chase, my Golden Retriever.

At least in my kitchen, the first one is always light and ugly because when I was younger, I was slower. I'd start the griddle heating, and by the time I had mixed the batter, the griddle was ready to go. Now, I can mix the batter in my sleep (and have!), and don't bother with measures, so it takes less time and the griddle hasn't reached the correct temperature yet.

Just made pancakes this morning on my electric griddle. The first 6 were great, then after that the temperature seemed to drop off a bit and they didn't turn golden brown as quick. I see a CI griddle in my future!

. I see a CI griddle in my future!
I have a Lodge CI griddle, I can't say I'm completely happy with it. You don't get the even heat of a round cast iron skillet. Lodge suggests placing it in a 350 oven for a while before cooking on it, I often don't feel like fiddling with that step. I bought it to make lots of bacon on it (mmmmmmm....bacon), but the outside pieces never cook as fast as the inside ones. Same with pancakes, if you try to make four at a time the outside edges of the pancakes cook slower. Just my two cents, and I'm a lover of iron.

I have a Lodge CI griddle, I can't say I'm completely happy with it. You don't get the even heat of a round cast iron skillet. Lodge suggests placing it in a 350 oven for a while before cooking on it, I often don't feel like fiddling with that step. I bought it to make lots of bacon on it (mmmmmmm....bacon), but the outside pieces never cook as fast as the inside ones. Same with pancakes, if you try to make four at a time the outside edges of the pancakes cook slower. Just my two cents, and I'm a lover of iron.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have the double burner griddle? I would get the 10.5" X 20" one for sure. I don't use the entire griddle surface of the electric one I have now. I guess there would be a learning curve with the new griddle, but at least it would last forever.

One question I have. It looks like this griddle weighs 15 lbs, and I have a glass cooktop, about 4 years old. I know the manufacturers recommend not using CI, but I thought that was because of the risk of breakage. But when I put an 8qt pot of chili on there it weighs as much as the griddle. I'm not too worried about dropping it. I can handle the weight pretty easily.

No, just a square 10 inch griddle. I would imagine the double burner griddle would never heat completely evenly, between the burners. Glass cooktops seem to have regular round burners under them, right?
My favorite Youtube cook, Dave Can Cook, uses CI all the time on his glass cooktop, he said it works just fine. I'm not sure if the weight was the issue, or worries of scratching it up.

... I bought it to make lots of bacon on it (mmmmmmm....bacon), but the outside pieces never cook as fast as the inside ones...

I bake bacon. I put the strips of bacon on a half sheet pan and into a 400 F oven. Bake until done. A pound will fit in a half sheet pan. Remove to paper towels.

Less shrinkage and more uniform cooking than pan or griddle frying.

Andy, I've done it that way, and it works great. I just enjoy doing it the "traditional" way. I guess I'm just old school. Nothing like grease splattered all over everything while frying bacon. I think I'll go make some now.

No, just a square 10 inch griddle. I would imagine the double burner griddle would never heat completely evenly, between the burners. Glass cooktops seem to have regular round burners under them, right?
My favorite Youtube cook, Dave Can Cook, uses CI all the time on his glass cooktop, he said it works just fine. I'm not sure if the weight was the issue, or worries of scratching it up.

I just measured my cooktop, and it is 23" across the burners from outside to outside edge. There is 3.5" in between the burners. In any case, I will be able to cook more panckes at a time than with a skillet, and I can use it for other things too.

Attachments

• cooktop.jpg
    cooktop.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 176
Back
Top Bottom