"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfry View Post
There are a few shows on the Food Network that I enjoy, but I think my favorite is Good Eats--maybe it's just my inner scientist, but I like how Alton Brown explains more than just how to cook things. A lot of the recipes from Food Network seem to be over my head and my budget, but it can be fun to watch and get ideas.
Alton Brown is very interesting the way he explains cooking habits. My husband and I saw one the other day on cashew butter which has me thinking about obtaining a food processor earlier than planned.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Has anyone seen the show with Amy, winner of the Next Food Network Star?

The time frame that they chose to put this show on air is a little off for me so I only caught it once but she seems to be doing okay. I have to admit though, the meal which Amy made isn't something which I would actually attempt because it isn't something that I would have for every day planning.

And is Paula Dean boozing it up, or just acting like it??????

I've not seen anything going on there with Paula. From what I have been able to figure, she always has been quite out spoken with her southern style which is something that makes her unique in comparison to the many other chefs that are on the FN.

Big Good Eats fan, enjoy Iron Chef, would love to host Drive Ins, Diners & Dives!!

I love watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Boy meets Grill, Into the Fire, Good Eats, Barefoot Contessa and Iron Chef America

Old 12-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #23
Senior Cook

The only show I watch regularly on Food Network is Tyler's Ultimate. His dishes are fantastic and the only ones that always work for me. Plus, he's such a cutie, I'd watch him even if he wasn't cooking~
Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #24
Master Chef

He'd be welcome in my kitchen anytime, Flourgirl.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #25
Certified Cake Maniac

Did you see Tyler with Robert Irvine from Dinner: Impossible against Paula and Kat Cora on a special "Battle Sugar" edition of Iron Chef America? Now Tyler is cute, but I will take the tough talking little Englishman any time! (Robert, not Ramsay).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Yes I did see that skit, it was a great one I think. Irvine is very good for what he does and I appreciate his show Dinner Impossible as he always is doing something so different especially the past few I have seen. I look forward to the new shows that are being done. I noticed yesterday Anthony Bourdain is coming out with new shows for his series this week too so that is going to be very exciting.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I'm getting sick of the people on FN now. I mean how many hosts do you need preparing south-western style dishes? For God's sake....if I see another chile pepper, mango, tortilla or avocado I'm gonna flip!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
Senior Cook

i like good eats..dinner impossible. I'm not a fan of rachel ray... she has good tips..but she annoys me. I like giada but its always italian food. basically I watch the food network when I can (we don't watch much tv) But when I do, the food network is on. I learn everytime I watch whether its a new dish, or just a new tip.
Oh and our single friend likes Giada (he likes her......)
Old 01-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #29
Master Chef

After downgrading our cable to basic digital, we find ourselves spending alot of time watching The Food Network. We like most of the shows on there, and even watch Alton Brown and Rachel Ray even though they do tend to annoy me ;)
At the top of the list are: Iron Chef America, Dinner Impossible, Dinners Drive Inns and Dives, Paula, The Barefoot Contessa, Rachel Ray, Mario Batali, Emeril, Good Eats..
Wait, maybe it would be quicker to list which ones I dont watch?? LOL.
I also spend alot of time at thier website (cant list URL's yet sorry) where you can do everything from look up recipes to watch episodes of some of the shows (not all of them) and even create your own recipe box. I was not, however, able to find the carrot caviar recipe but I was able to identify which episode it was. You can always write them using the link they provide and hope they respond back with the recipe? Worth a shot I guess. You can also look up the episode on Food Network and then google it and see if it comes up somewhere else, I was suprised how many I was finding on YouTube and other sites even though they constantly get knocked off for copyright violations.
Anyway, I did do a search for carrot caviar and came up with several links to resturants, recipes, as well as YouTube videos showing you how to make it.
Frankly it sounded rather beyond me...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #30
Head Chef

Gosh about ten years ago we were on cable, the worst cable network in the world I would suppose. The people who started it up are now in prison. No, it is not a felony to run a monopoly horrible cable TV station, they were just crooks. But the cable station was terrible and our landlord did not want us to have a dish.

Sorry, am carrying on. The point was the cable station did not carry the Food Network. Every so often we would go away for the weekend and would arrive early to watch the channel on the hotel TV.

Loved it.

Now we own our own digs and have the dish and the network.

But we almost never watch the channel.

Find the people boring, or maybe it is just us who are getting boring, but watch other stuff.

Anyway we rarely watch it anymore. Would love to watch an entertaining cooking show. If I lumber into Cookin' in Brooklyn I enjoy it - it is not on the cooking chennel.

Sorry, but to us the cooking chennel just doesn't get us to tune in.