"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #31
Head Chef

I go between Food Network and HGTV. I like some shoes on each channel.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #32
Sous Chef

I cant take Barefoot Contessa or the Paula Dean. Contessa has just never made a dish that looked slightly appealing to me. Paula has some good stuff once in a while, but seems rather inconsistant in my humble opinion.

Iron chef is where its at. Bravo has some cool shows which takes me away from the food network at times.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Good Eats is my favorite by far. Giant foam props and sock puppet theater in a cooking show? That's how you know it's not just a cooking show; it's a food show. Oddly, I'm not impressed with Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt, even when you consider my love of motorcycle riding (and unrequited love of BMW bikes).

For some unknown reason many of the female hosts really annoy me. Wait, I do know the reasons. Rachel Ray is overbearingly perky and her constant, cutesy abbreviations grind on the language section of my brain. Paula Deen's heavy-handed Southern charm gets obnoxious after he first handful of "Ya'll"s. I haven't seen many Barefoot Contessa shows, but her voice is like audio flurazepam and she does that thing (most hosts do) where she'll taste the food, dwell on it, and relate how good it is. We know it's going to be good, you're a professional on the Food Network. Giada DeLaurentiis is less irritating than most, though I find using Italian pronunciations of "naturalized" English words a bit pretentious.

Iron Chef is pretty entertaining fare. While I think the Japanese version used more unique secret ingredients ("Battle Live Eel"? Come on!), the American version presents its own challenge given the drive to be more creative with comparatively mundane ingredients. Of course, it might be that the uniqueness of the Japanese ingredients is more a matter of cultural differences. It's also neat to see how these ingredients are used in the hands of master craftsmen and women and the varying methods they employ.

Unwrapped, Ham on the Street, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and The Secret Life of... are pretty good time wasters at work. Working midnights gives ample amounts of nothing to do but wait, and unfortunately there's a lot of nothing on TV! Those shows are well worth watching.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #34
Head Chef

i like most of the shows ..
the ones i dont .. i change the channel ..
i do not let tv annoy me .. thats what the off button is for ..
Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Love Good Eats

I Love Good Eats, but I'm a bit of a chemist at heart. I even mix my own photography developers by scratch.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I've read that FN's rating are really down, down so low that they are going to have to give money back to some of their advertisers because of their failing audience numbers. That should tell them that airing the same shows over and over all day long isn't working. Enough with the Giada, Paula, RR holy trinity! And maybe they need to change their demographic from the 18-25 male group. Other than checking out Giada and Aunt Sandy, do guys that age really watch FN? Some new management is called for here. Pulling out old episodes of Bourdain's show isn't going to save the ship.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
Good Eats is my favorite by far. Giant foam props and sock puppet theater in a cooking show? That's how you know it's not just a cooking show; it's a food show. Oddly, I'm not impressed with Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt, even when you consider my love of motorcycle riding (and unrequited love of BMW bikes).

For some unknown reason many of the female hosts really annoy me. Wait, I do know the reasons. Rachel Ray is overbearingly perky and her constant, cutesy abbreviations grind on the language section of my brain. Paula Deen's heavy-handed Southern charm gets obnoxious after he first handful of "Ya'll"s. I haven't seen many Barefoot Contessa shows, but her voice is like audio flurazepam and she does that thing (most hosts do) where she'll taste the food, dwell on it, and relate how good it is. We know it's going to be good, you're a professional on the Food Network. Giada DeLaurentiis is less irritating than most, though I find using Italian pronunciations of "naturalized" English words a bit pretentious.

Iron Chef is pretty entertaining fare. While I think the Japanese version used more unique secret ingredients ("Battle Live Eel"? Come on!), the American version presents its own challenge given the drive to be more creative with comparatively mundane ingredients. Of course, it might be that the uniqueness of the Japanese ingredients is more a matter of cultural differences. It's also neat to see how these ingredients are used in the hands of master craftsmen and women and the varying methods they employ.

Unwrapped, Ham on the Street, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and The Secret Life of... are pretty good time wasters at work. Working midnights gives ample amounts of nothing to do but wait, and unfortunately there's a lot of nothing on TV! Those shows are well worth watching.
I agree with alot of this. Well said chap!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
Ace of Cakes, anyone? I personally love it.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know a lot of people have a lot to say about Food TV and all those TV personalities that everyone just hates, or gets on their nerves, for whatever reason. I'll say it again - if you have something constructive to say then say it. If you just want to say something snotty on a personal level about someone you don't even know, well don't. They are still someone's daughter, mother, sister, wife, husband, brother, son, father, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc., etc. If they had a chance to say something about us I doubt most of us could handle it.

Yes, it's a little irritant of mine. When the Food TV boards closed down a LOT of the people who MADE THEM CLOSE IT drifted to other sites. I swore that the hatred for the Food TV shows and their hosts/hostesses would not be allowed here and I still stand by it. All the negative talk just triggers more negative talk.

OK - CherryRed - can you imagine how much fun it would be to work there???? But then again, I would love to work on ANY of the sets as I would have to come away a more skilled/knowledgeable cook.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I know a lot of people have a lot to say about Food TV and all those TV personalities that everyone just hates, or gets on their nerves, for whatever reason. I'll say it again - if you have something constructive to say then say it. If you just want to say something snotty on a personal level about someone you don't even know, well don't. They are still someone's daughter, mother, sister, wife, husband, brother, son, father, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc., etc. If they had a chance to say something about us I doubt most of us could handle it.

Yes, it's a little irritant of mine. When the Food TV boards closed down a LOT of the people who MADE THEM CLOSE IT drifted to other sites. I swore that the hatred for the Food TV shows and their hosts/hostesses would not be allowed here and I still stand by it. All the negative talk just triggers more negative talk.

OK - CherryRed - can you imagine how much fun it would be to work there???? But then again, I would love to work on ANY of the sets as I would have to come away a more skilled/knowledgeable cook.
Chill friend, no one said anything about hating these people on a personal level. There just may be other shows that are more successful or watchable than others. No one said anything about hate, and this is the only board
I use so being able to express opinions should not be shunned.
Cheers!