"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
But then again, I would love to work on ANY of the sets as I would have to come away a more skilled/knowledgeable cook.
A day with any of them would be a day well spent indead, even the ones I dont normally watch.
And yes, I too beleive that using the 'channel' button or 'off' button is far easier and more pleasant that complaining. Then again, I wonder how many shows out there have thier ratings bulstered not by adoring fans but by critics that just cant wait to tune in on the next episode to see whats new to hate...

Just thinking out loud....

And Ace of Cakes rocks!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
Watching a show to "see what's new to hate"... I agree with you there. I think lots of people do that, or else there wouldn't be nearly as much criticism on the shows' forums. Doesn't make sense to me, though. Why not just find a show you like?

And I would totally love working with the Ace of Cakes crew. They all have such a laid-back attitude, even when things seem to be going wrong (the row house cake with the sloping roof? no problem!). It's sort of dangerous though... watching that show makes me want to bake and decorate cakes for days, even if there's no occasion. I'm just happy I haven't given in yet. If I suddenly gain hundreds of pounds, you'll all know what happened

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #43
Cook

I very much enjoy Good Eats. My soon to be four-year-old little girl also enjoys it and asks to watch "the cooking show" and sits in my lap to watch it; so, I always have a few episodes on the DVR. I enjoy the lessens from food prep to history to science and his format.

I watch Throwdown semi-regularly. It's always funny to see Flay get it handed to him. The look on his face is priceless. It's what he gets for calling a lot of the stuff that he cooks "barbecue" when it is actually grilled (sorry, couldn't resist). I do watch Boy Meets Grill as well, but he tends to go overboard with his stuff, but they all do.

I'm looking forward to the new show with the Neely family that is to debut in February.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #44
Master Chef

I once got royally chewed out by my 3 year old daughter for having the audacity to change the channel in the middle of Ace of Cakes (it was a rerun, not that she cared about that!), and my 7 year old son is fast become a big fan of The Food Network, sometimes preferring it to his regular cartoons. I cant see the downside to that, and who knows maybe someday I will get a chef in the family ;)
Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #45
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleri View Post
I've read that FN's rating are really down, down so low that they are going to have to give money back to some of their advertisers because of their failing audience numbers. That should tell them that airing the same shows over and over all day long isn't working. Enough with the Giada, Paula, RR holy trinity! And maybe they need to change their demographic from the 18-25 male group. Other than checking out Giada and Aunt Sandy, do guys that age really watch FN? Some new management is called for here. Pulling out old episodes of Bourdain's show isn't going to save the ship.
I overheard part of the issue was producer's attempt to pull viewers from an area that unfortunately was pushing away others. There is not enough of a mix for both to be satisfied and it is causing a loss of viewers. I agree with you, reruns are not going to make up for the current issues they have now. There are only a few things that I will watch on FN any more as the others I don't get any use from.

I still enjoy seeing Dinner Impossible always amazes me. Good Eats is something I learn from so it is very beneficial. I watch Food Challenge on Sundays. Other than that, I've been very picky on what I'm watching any more because they are slacking off in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
And maybe they need to change their demographic from the 18-25 male group. Other than checking out Giada and Aunt Sandy, do guys that age really watch FN?
I do, but I seem to recall a relevant bit from an old Simpsons episode...

Lisa: It's awful being a kid. No one listens to you.
Grandpa:
It's rotten being old. No one listens to you.
Homer:
I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are.
(Homer grabs a can of "Nuts and Gum" snack food mixture and chows down)

Oh, I should note that my workplace only has one television, and being lowest on the seniority ladder means last choice of what to watch. That's the only reason I've sat through so many shows I did not enjoy.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. I sometimes feel the need to explain myself more than some people find necessary.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #47
Master Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. I sometimes feel the need to explain myself more than some people find necessary.
I personally found nothing offensive in anything you are anyone else that I have read on here has written. To me they are all opinions being expressed, likes and dislikes being compared, and varying views and prespectives being shared. A long way from hate, personal attacks, and insults.

I was speaking of people (in now defunct forums) that would specifically watch a show just to have new 'ammo' to start flame wars in the shows forums with others that enjoyed the show. IE there was no point to thier actions other than to stir up 'trouble'.
I meant it as a 'thinking' point and not as pointing a finger at anyone. I just wondered how many of them, during the course of thier game playing, realised that they in fact were helping to support the very show they seemed to hate so much...

As for tuning in to a show to have something new to be jealous of or to make fun of, well I am guilty as charged!!

I especially love to watch the Travel Channel and get jealous of all the wonderful places they get to see,
Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

I like watching the food network to get ideas. I don't watch it much now cuz I'm addicted to other shows. Paula Dean is cool, I love her late night show with the studio audience. I also like Everyday Italian. I forgot the name of the lady who's on it...but it's great. I love italian food.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #49
Head Chef

I don't find as much enjoyment in FN anymore. When I do flip by, it seems like everyone is making pasta. Maybe I am not looking at the right time. I do like the Travel Channel to see where all the wonderful places are.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #50
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
I've read that FN's rating are really down, down so low that they are going to have to give money back to some of their advertisers because of their failing audience numbers. That should tell them that airing the same shows over and over all day long isn't working.

This is the biggest problem I have with FN. Constant repeats!! I used to be an avid watcher of FN, now I'll check what they have on and most of the time I switch to another network.

Many of chefs/cooks have dvd's of their cooking shows. I wonder how well they sell? I've seen most of them about 3 times each, hence the switching, you can only watch it so much before you start reciting their next lines. :-)