"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #51
Certified Cake Maniac
Okay, today I have been confined to a fair amount of rest due to a circulation problem in one of my legs - we are trying to get the swelling down so I had to lay around and do nothing. I started going through my huge box of recipes and magazines to sort it out and put the Food Network on for noise. Noise was a good word for it. There were a couple of okay Canadian shows - Chef at Large and Sugar, but I had seen both episodes before. The it was the "Countdown to Dinner" lineup which for us starts at 1:00 pm as it is based on Eastern time: Paula cackled at least 2 dozen y'all's, Rachel was jumping up and down at the brilliance of her own concoction of pizzange, Giada had an italian pool party and so on. I have not tuned in during the day for a long time, limiting myself to the more intelectual night-time fair (laugh with me) of Iron Chef America, ****'s Kitchen, Top Chef, Good Eats and the like.

Oh, and please don't think I am knocking the American chefs only. We have our share with Bob Bloomer who travels around with a toaster trailer and a year or so ago were subjected to a show where people actually allowed their kitchens to be filmed while a team of two detected all the non-food safe no no's they had.

If I have to spend a day like this again, I think I will choose the cartoon channel.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #52
Master Chef
Some good shows on Cartoon Network and Toon Disney, but that anime stuff is getting pretty weird in my opinion ;)

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #53
Executive Chef
Oh LPBei........
I love watching that guy with the toastermobil and I am very envious I don't have one too.
I think he's wonderful. Loved the most recent one I saw when he fried an egg by some piece of equiptment he'd made, so it could fry by the use of the sun only....... in some town in Arizona I think it was. Very interesting.
To KE, I used to be one of those that frequented the message boards over at TVFood. I was so sad when they closed. It was a good meeting place but you are right, they said some pretty rotten things about a couple of the stars on the networks shows. And BTW&FYI, I know the board that most of them are on now. I don't go there much as it feels foreign to me...
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

i too have gotten sick of reruns. hardly ever sit and watch the channel . it is back ground noise for me. haven't seen a new one from any of stars in about a month.

babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #55
Master Chef
I agree, but isn't some of this because of the writers strike?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #56
Senior Cook
I too have a problem with constant repeats. When there are specials, its always
the same chefs, ie" the "holiday shows". I like Barefoot Contessa. I like Paula
Deen and use several of her recipes but I think she overdoes it sometimes.
Dinner Impossible is good. Have only seen one episode with Amy, the last
winner of the contest. It wasn't something I wanted to watch again. Guy, the
previous winner has done well and I enjoy Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
Ace of Cakes is a fun show. There are some good shows, but its a lot of
bandonjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #57
Senior Cook
yeah there aren't any new episodes of shows on tv right now. I mean they didn't even do the Grammy's this year right?
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #58
Senior Cook
I was wondering the same thing about the writers strike. Maybe Food Network is going to develop their own reality and/or game shows. That could be interesting with real people instead of the normal stable of FN hosts.
DrThunder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #59
Master Chef
My wife is always talking about how they need to put everyday cooks on their with everyday recipes, or as she puts it "recipes for the rest of us" LOL.
I would love to see shows based on cooking for medium to large families on a small budget, that would be interesting.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef
I don;t believe the writers' strike is really the cause of all the reruns on FTV. Their rerunning old shows has been going on for a long time. They just don't have enough programming to fill the clock.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote