"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
yeah ive been gone for a while but this one of the many reasons i keep coming back. great idea with the roquefort foam, i bet that was as delicious as it is intriguing. im sure you tasted it before you incorperated it in the dish...how can you describe it?
On its own, an intense burst of Roquefort flavor with an airy and extremely light texture. The flavor of the cheese was there but you didn't get that normal creaminess texture that coats your mouth and tongue from Roquefort and other blue cheeses. That was pretty much the point since foie gras is extremely rich and fatty on its own anyway.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I would have eliminated the tomato, opting for a fig slice. Instead of the foam, which I find tiresome and cliché (personal opinion, no offense intended), and still desiring the additional flavour of the bleu cheese, I would have added it to grits, cooled and then sautéd a slice for the bottom of the stack.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

My Dear Miss Vera..

Are you suggesting Foie Gras and Grits??? Now that something a Southerner could get into......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
My Dear Miss Vera..

Are you suggesting Foie Gras and Grits??? Now that something a Southerner could get into......
Indeed I am.....I love foie gras, but if you ask me, it tends to think a little to highly of itself. A thinly sliced bit of seasoned grits, grilled in butter, and topped with a perfectly executed bit of foie gras, along with the afore mentioned fig slice is wonderful.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I would have eliminated the tomato, opting for a fig slice. Instead of the foam, which I find tiresome and cliché (personal opinion, no offense intended), and still desiring the additional flavour of the bleu cheese, I would have added it to grits, cooled and then sautéd a slice for the bottom of the stack.
Texturally, I can see this one working for me. Plus I imagine it would hold together well. I've never eaten grits (gasps all round) being a Brit living in Spain. Does the whole thing come across as a bit sweet? Or does the cheese in the grits counter that? From your comment, I get the impression this is something you've done before.

The figs here are about at their best, maybe just past it, but I love them. The last lot I had were like little parcels of jam. And foie gras goes down well too. I'll just have to find out how to cook grits!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Grits are made from hominy, and cooked alone, in just water are not sweet. It's hard to describe the actual flavour, but they are a perfect vehicle for a multitude of additions. Grits taste a bit like corn.

I learned to cook grits about 15 years ago from a black chef from Atlanta, Georgia. He served them with hot sauce and a light sprinkling of cheese. When I made them, I served them with milk and sugar. He laughed and said I made grits like a little white girl. If you can get your hands on a bag of grits, the directions are right on the package. Just cook them slowly for about 20 mins. Before you remove it from the stove, add anything you like..
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Grits taste a bit like corn.

I
That's because grits is corn.

I may be mistaken, but I thought snoops puss reference to sweetness was related to the addition of the figs, not the grits
Old 10-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
Head Chef

Actually you're both right. I looked up grits and it said corn, which tastes a bit sweet to me. Maybe I could try it with some fried or grilled polenta. Eventually, that is, I'm a kitchen-free zone at the moment. And likely to be for some while. Amazing what you can do on a two-burner meths hob but fine cuisine is asking a bit much. Even so, I'm going to bear this in mind for fig season next year.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Interesting ideas, but unfortunately it's not fig season. Plus, we didn't have any in the restaurant even if there was.

Grits would be interesting, although I'd have to ask the chef to order that since we don't have any on hand either.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
Head Chef

Very creative but I fear I too find the appearance of foam off putting.

It does remind me of certain body excretions - phlegm in a blender.