"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Any kind of baking - I'm not good at exact quantities and am not very patient.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Big elaborate wedding cakes I got assembly down very straight cakes no leaning at all but when it comes to decorating Im a nervous twit.They come out nice people think they are beautiful but they are never perfect enough for me I see every little flaw that no one else would notice.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Any kind of baking - I'm not good at exact quantities and am not very patient.
+1 on that!

I can't even be aroung people cooking....not baking but cooking, with a measuring cup and spoon set.

"The recipe calls for 1/4 cup."

"So just pour some in there!"
Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Lately it's anything I have to roll up or stuff into a boneless / skinless chicken breast. I don't know what kind of chickens they are raising lately, 'cuz either they are growing full of holes or they are using a paper shredder to cut the breasts in half. They are so full of holes and shredded I can't get my filling to stay in there!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Head Chef

Most challenging - making dinner etc. on a two-burner hot plate in my first New York apt. That's probably where my creativity kicked in. Most fun - but not too much of a challenge - making my first souffle. Heaven!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Baking bread is easily my most challenging (with pastry dough a close second). Maybe it's because I have moved and the conditions are so different, or maybe it's just because I don't have a feel for it yet. Either way, I can't get it to rise, or else it won't stay risen while or after baking.

But I plan to keep trying!!

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
+1 on that!

I can't even be aroung people cooking....not baking but cooking, with a measuring cup and spoon set.

"The recipe calls for 1/4 cup."

"So just pour some in there!"
I go along with that, its where DW and I differ so much - she is a straight down the line recipe girl, I'm lets try this and that, oh thats about a tablespoon etc. Does cause probs though when I want to do it again.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

There is absolutely nothing wrong with following a recipe and measuring ingredients. For one thing, it enables you to reproduce a recipe so that it tastes the same every time.

There is also nothing wrong with changing a recipe or measuring ingredients by less reliable methods, just be prepared to deal with the consequences - "This doesn't taste the same as last time, what did you do different?".
Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with following a recipe and measuring ingredients. For one thing, it enables you to reproduce a recipe so that it tastes the same every time.

There is also nothing wrong with changing a recipe or measuring ingredients by less reliable methods, just be prepared to deal with the consequences - "This doesn't taste the same as last time, what did you do different?".
Except that with baking, atmospheric conditions can play a big role in how things turn out. Moisture in the air, temperature, even whether the flour has absorbed moisture from the air in days gone by. I think this is why more people have trouble with baking than with cooking. At least that's how it is for me.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
Except that with baking, atmospheric conditions can play a big role in how things turn out. Moisture in the air, temperature, even whether the flour has absorbed moisture from the air in days gone by. I think this is why more people have trouble with baking than with cooking. At least that's how it is for me.

Clearly some intelligence has to be brought to the process. If you're making a bread dough, for example, and it's too wet, you can knead in a little extra flour, if it's too dry, you add some liquid... At least you had a sound starting point.