The oldest food item that was found in the cupboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a bottle of un opened ranch dressing that dated back to 2002. It became a running joke because it moved with us 3 times. My wife's sister opened and used it by mistake Nov 2004. After we had noticed what she was eating we warned her it was old. She said it tasted fine and ate it anyway. She lived in case you were wondering. I have since tossed the remainder of the bottle.

We have a few bags of spices that Paul had at his house when I first met him. On July 18th we'll have been married for 8 years!!!!! Neither of us know what they are but, he doesn't want to throw them away!

Childrens Tylenol

Just recently I was cleaning out my moms pantry and found a small bottle of Childrens Chewable Tylenol dated from the 1980's. That was mine...I am now 29...I thought it was funny. I also remember once finding frozen hamburger meat that was a couple of years old....

During the winter or cooler months my mom will sometimes store soda outside on the deck instead of in the fridge if she is running out of room. There was a 2 litter of Diet Coke that had been out there for a VERY LONG TIME. Once of the first times my wife (then girlfriend) went to their house for dinner my mom ran out of soda so she went to the deck and brought in this bottle of Diet Coke. All the color from the label had long since disappeared because of the sun. My wife took one sip of the soda and knew something was not right. There was NO taste or carbonation left at all. I think we figured that bottle had been outside for about 10 years. We will never let my mom live that one down :LOL:

A couple of weeks ago I was looking in a cabinet I don't get into very often and discovered way back in the corner I had an unopened bottle of Thai fish sauce (nam pla) - the kind made with shrimp instead of fish. Trying to think back - I probably bought it somewhere around 1989-1990!

Have you ever seen BLACK mayo? Verrrrrrry carefully put in trash. :) I didn't see a date.

college_cook said:
My g/f just cleaned out her cupboards, and found an old jar of painkillers for horses, given to her a long time ago. Expires 1992.

CC:

Just exactly how much do you know about this young lady? Does she enjoy a good bowl of oats every once in a while???

At Christmastime, my MIL offered me some Bailey's to add to my coffee.
When I poured it out, it looked like thickened custard. I just about lost it.
She then informed me that she thought all alcohol kept indefinitely, and that
she'd "only opened it 5 years ago".

We've been together for over 3 years, and she's a horse trainer, so she has a reasonable use for the painkillers, lol. Dunno what would ever posess her to keep those for so long though. Probably just got tossed into storage and forgotten about.

Back
Top Bottom