The Proverbial Fruitcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooooo, wasabi. Have you ever had the fruitcake that used to be made at Kemoo Farms? My grandfather loved fruitcake and I'd buy it for him every year. I, too, think good fruitcake is under rated, but there are so many bad ones out there. To me a fruitcake needs lots of nuts and booze, less candied fruit. Kemoo Farms, of course, was macadamias and pineapple, and was delish. I'd buy it, then put in a bowl and soak with dark rum.

Oh, by the way, I think fruitcake was invented FOR it's longevity. If it has enough booze in it, it can last virtually forever!! It originally was a way to make the harvest of fruit last through the winter.

Claire said:
Ooooo, wasabi. Have you ever had the fruitcake that used to be made at Kemoo Farms? My grandfather loved fruitcake and I'd buy it for him every year. I, too, think good fruitcake is under rated, but there are so many bad ones out there. To me a fruitcake needs lots of nuts and booze, less candied fruit. Kemoo Farms, of course, was macadamias and pineapple, and was delish. I'd buy it, then put in a bowl and soak with dark rum.

Claire, yes Kemoo Farm is famous for its Happy Cake. Here is a link if you want to order. I don't care for fruit cake and have never tried it.
http://www.happycake.com/order.htm

Real traditional fruitcakes keep for a very long time.

The tradition in the UK is that one tier of the wedding cake (same type as a Christmas cake) is saved to be used as a Christening cake at the birth of the first child.... It hasn't poisoned anyone yet that I know of.... :LOL:

If I thought there was one other person in the universe who would eat it, I'd order a Kemoo Farms fruitcake right now. As it is, I never buy fruitcake because I'm the only one who likes it. And I'm fussy (lots of nuts, booze, very little candy). But I'm very Happy to hear that Happy Cake is still out there. When I lived in Hawaii, I'd buy two. One got sent to Pepere, the other got slipped into a bowl and drenched with rum. Kemoo Farms was great for other reasons as well. Ever been there for Sunday brunch in the old days. Ever hear Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, and my personal favorite, Bob Nelson jamming there on Sunday mornings? Nothing better in life.

Claire, I was born and raised here but I have never been to Kemoo Farm. Passed by it a million times though.

I used to live in Mililani, and being military, we drove by Kemoo Farms quite often. When we left (a dozen or so years ago), they'd closed down the restaurant end of the business, but were still producing fruit cake. One of my favorite memories is of going there for Sunday brunches when quite famous (albeit older, people whose "heyday" was in the 40s or 50s) musicians would entertain. I have no idea if there is any restaurant there now. I love old places, and bemoan the fact that PCT and The Willows are no longer there the way I knew them. There's no reason to go to Hawaii any more!!

get in line mudbug! i think we all want to go visit wasabi. i have no morals against using my cute little boy to gain the inside track...lol.

bucky, Don't even THINK about comming to visit without baby boy. Everyone, the condo's still available..

I caught Emeril's show yesterday, and he made a fruitcake that actually sounded good. Lots of nuts (almonds, hazel, and pecan) and some dried fruit he soaked in fruit juice and brandy, and an interesting recipe for the cake. When the cake was done, he poked holes on it an poured more brandy over it and said let it sit until all absorbed. This has to be one of two things.....the best darn fruitcake or an terrible waste of brandy.

EDIT: I went to the FTV website and it is Mini Creole Chtristmas Fruitcakes with Whiskey Sauce (I got in on the tail end of the recipe so made a calculated guess on teh ingredients). He used blueberries, cranberries, cherries, raisins and apricots and soaked them in simple syrup. He also put Grand Marnier in the batter. I just may have found one I like. Check it out. It is too long for me to add here.

Back
Top Bottom