"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
The Sunday Dinner Thread, Oct 16th

What's cooking for dinner tonight folks?

My dinner today has been figured out well ahead again, but I was holding out and continuing my research up until a few days ago. PPPC week 6 has my Browns in Oakland, CA. I have been scratching my head on these dinner plans for a while, because apparently Oakland isn't known for any food
Seriously, all I've been able to come up with is folks in Oakland eating "CA cuisine", which could be Mexican influenced or could be fruit on a pizza

So Tacos Carne Asada it is!

What will you be sitting down at the table to eat tonight?

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Split pea and ham soup with red cabbage slaw. I used Bucky Tom's rosemary idea for the soup, lovely!

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Rib eye steak, Steakhouse potatoes, steamed carrot coins, and I think I'll open a bottle of 2009 Valentin Bianchi Sensual Malbec to go with the oversized (7oz) rib eyes. I'm going to try this new method I saw on a cooking show where you run a skewer through the spinalis dorsi muscle to secure it to the rest of the steak, which eliminates the separation of the spinalis muscle from the fat of the main piece of meat.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Senior Cook
I'll be making a version of the prosciutto wrapped pork loin with roasted apples from the Oct '11 bon appetit for dinner. I say a version because I'm not going to stuff the loin. Roasted, sliced potatoes to go with. Veg, tbd, but maybe sauteed carrots as they sound really good today.
¿Como como? Como como como.
Hammster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Today is a cooking day.

I made a large pot of rice with the chicken stock I made yesterday.

I'm jazzing up my recent chili with more canned beef and extra V-8. With some of the rice, this will be lunch.

I had to heat the beef to get the juices and fat off and mixed in the juice and fat from the last can. This will go in the freezer for some future use, as will the rest of the beef not added to the chili.

Then, I'll make meatloaf and serve it with rice and gravy made from some of the beef juices for dinner.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Master Chef
I'm remodeling a vintage pork chop into pulled pork.

baked potato
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Master Chef
We'll have brats with German potato salad tonight. Not sure if I'll make anything else or not.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
Burgers on the grill and cole slaw for us tonight. SO made some brownies for dessert.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Country steak and roasted red potatoes.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
Sunday Dinner

My family is a mix of Northern and Southern Italy. Every Sunday our families homes were filled with the aroma of awesome Pasta sauce cooking all day, getting chased away from Mom or Grandma's stove when trying to sneak and dip some bread in the sauce while waiting, lol We called it sauce bread and we loved it when they let us have some to hold us over until dinner. :)

Today, I'm in too much pain to cook (severe psoriatic arthritis) so we're getting take out. Gnocchi with a meat sauce because I could not decide between marinara or tomato, lol

Which reminds me, wanted to comment on the tomato vs Marinara sauce debate and questions I saw on here. Marinara is a simple sauce (usually toms. garlic, basil, oreg., olive oil) cooked for a short time. It's a clean simple, thinner sauce. Tomato or pasta sauce as some of us call it is a long simmer sauce, usually thicker and richer than marinara because of the slow cooking on low heat but both use tomatoes and the same spices. Sometimes with loose meat or meatballs, sausage etc but basically the spices are the same though recipes vary from home to home, cook to cook. Some people think it has more spices it really shouldn't, its just richer tasting and thicker because of the long simmer. When its done right, that is.

LeJax is offline   Reply With Quote