"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb The TRUTH about ONIONS that you may (NEVER) know!

ONIONS
HOW TO CHOOSE ? : Good quality onions are heavy with dry and smooth skin.

DO YOU KNOW? Onions are not only good to add food flavor but also for its therapeutic properties. Onion have an antibacterial and antifungal properties. Onions also reduce High Blood Pressure, Sinus conditions - helps to drain mucus from the cavities and loosen phlegm, Diabetes mellitus - lowers blood sugar, and Lowers cholesterol.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Master Chef

Yup. I already knew that. But I know that there are a great number of people out there who don't. And so I thank you for pointing out these wonderful traits of the onion. Leaks, garlic, chives, and other members of the lily family (of which onions are a part) exhibit the same advantages as well. Best of all, they taste great!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

There's also a little more to it than that. "Long Keeping" onions will have a thicker, drier, more "papery" skin than non-storage onions like Vidalias.

"Sweet" onions like Vidalias aren't meant for long-term storage & thus don't develop the same thick papery skin as storage onions have. So use &/or refrigerate your sweet onions early on; keep the sharper storage types out of the fridge in a cool dry place. I usually leave them in their net bag in a wire basket in a dark corner of my kitchen counter.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Senior Cook

LOVE them !!! Eat them like apples!!! YUM
Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Does an onion count as a "fruit" and/or "vegetable" in a dish? As a single guy, I often make just one dish instead of an elaborate spread. Then I ask myself, "shouldn't I be having a fruit/vegetable?" Then I think to myself, "well, there is that onion (and/or garlic)" Does it count as a "vegetable" serving?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Onions are a vegetable.

Garlic is often called an herb, and is member of the lily family which makes it a cousin to leeks, onions, chives, and shallots. So, while it is typically called an herb, garlic is technically a vegetable.

But just cooking with onion and garlic doesn't exactly count as a serving of vegetables.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef

a serving size of a vegetable is 1/2 cup, so I guess a half cup of onions, or garlic, would be one serving.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
a serving size of a vegetable is 1/2 cup, so I guess a half cup of onions, or garlic, would be one serving.
A half cup of garlic!

I remember back when I was learning how to cook, I found a recipe for a garlic & gravy steak. The recipe called for 4 cloves of garlic. Back then, I didn’t know the difference between a clove and a head (yeah, I was really young). I made the dish with 4 HEADS of garlic. Wow! I was the only person that had more than one bite of it.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Here is something you probably didn't know about onions. Onions give me agita, big time agita, so we have a mutual non-aggression pact. I don't eat them, and they don't hurt me!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Here is something you probably didn't know about onions. Onions give me agita, big time agita, so we have a mutual non-aggression pact. I don't eat them, and they don't hurt me!
LOL! This post tickled my funny bone for some reason.....and I had to look agita up! Thanks for teaching me a new word. Since I learned something, I guess I’m done for the day?!?!