The voices are advising me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
Tonight's meal is a sausage pie which is basically a conglomeration of tasty ideas I have both absorbed from reading many recipes, and knowing what I would like to eat.

As with many other concoctions, I have stood ready with rolling out dough a certain way or adding a certain amount of spice and have stopped because it did not seem right. Almost as if someone was standing behind me saying "Not too much of that.. You have enough."

Does the feeling of a more experienced voice standing behind you advising ever enter into anyone else's meal preparation?

Tom

Yes, sometimes twice for one meal.

A voice comes from over my shoulder while I'm preparing the dish and says, "Put in MORE salt!".

Later on, during dinner, another voice says, "You put in too much salt, you idiot!" This second voice is coming from across the table and I can see her lips moving.

Yes.
I get that voice frequently.
It last whispered in my ear when I was trying to make the most phenomenal grilled vegetable stack every perceived by mankind. Aubergines, courgettes, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes and three different kinds of cheese.
When I started fiddling about with the second dressing I was about to add to the unfortunate skyscraper stack, the voice hissed in my ear. Made me jump!

" KISS!!! KISSSSSSSSSSSS!!"

(keep it simple, stupid!!)

the voice was right, of course!!

TomW said:
Tonight's meal is a sausage pie which is basically a conglomeration of tasty ideas I have both absorbed from reading many recipes, and knowing what I would like to eat.

Mmmmm! Sausage pie sounds great! Would you post the recipe, Tom?

Lee

TomW said:

As with many other concoctions, I have stood ready with rolling out dough a certain way or adding a certain amount of spice and have stopped because it did not seem right. Almost as if someone was standing behind me saying "Not too much of that.. You have enough."

Does the feeling of a more experienced voice standing behind you advising ever enter into anyone else's meal preparation?

Tom

The spirit is always there guiding and inspiring. Listen and you will hear all that you want to know. I know that voice and it knows me.

I heard those voices on Thanksgiving Day....finally realized it was my mother in law asking "is the turkey done yet"

Voices, not me, I have medication for that.

But I do have dreams of Auguste Excoffier stopping off at our house and leaving coupons for Taco Bell.

Reminds me, we haven't had our mega run for the border recently. We go there about every year and a half or so. I love the burritios with the green sauce.

Now I hear the voice of the administrator telling me I'm getting off topic.

Sorry.

in my case, it's the exact opposite. my body just goes ahead and cooks things any old way it wants, often in direct opposition to the one-sided, inane banter ricochetting around inside my noggin. for example, by the time i finish the sentence "about one more minute on this pasta.", my body has gone ahead and dumped it into the colander, and just in the nick of time, too.

another example is when, putting away leftovers, my body picks out this amazingly small tupperware container and, while i'm thinking "there's no way in h&ll this is going to fit in", proceeds to shovel the stuff in just fine.

the most irritating is this, which occurs nightly. let me preface this by saying that after lieing politicians, what i detest most in the world is not war or hunger (numbers 3 & 4, respectively) but doing the dishes. i've hated doing dishes ever since i can remember.

before i can make it to my chair after dinner and relax, i find my body picking up the dishes and removing them to the kitchen, much to my consternation. in order to save face, i mutter something like "i'll just get these out of the way. then, before i know what's happening, i'm scraping the d@mn things and, before i can recover from the shock, they're being stacked in the sink, the hot water is running, and the detergent has been squirted in. by the time i finish the thought "they'll be easier to wash if i let them soak while i watch tv.", i've somehow managed to wash about half of them. after that point, i've got no choice except to continue, rinse and drain the *&#&&*%%# things.

about once a week, by sheer force of willpower, i manage to extract myself somewhere from that sequence and actually sit down and relax a bit before doing the dishes. my goal is to eventually be able to let them sit till the next morning or even (and this is my secret dream) until somebody comes along and washes them for me.

any takers???
icon12.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom