The year's half over! Dinner, 6/30/2016.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I can't believe it.

We're having Andrew Zimmern's porchetta with caramelized onions and gruyere cheese sliders, with his recipe for roasted vegetable mayo. Just made the mayo. Craig roasted the onion, garlic, tomato, red bell drizzled in EVOO and sprinkled with S and P in a foil packet on the grill yesterday while he was grilling the chicken. Added the lime juice and cilantro, zapped in the food processor, then added in the store-bought mayo. My oh my is it good even freshly made, can't wait to taste after it has melded for a bit.

Half over? Well, that's one way to view it.

Our day is a day of celebration...Glenn's birthday.

He requested a vanilla cake with vanilla icing, which I made yesterday. Then, to gild the lily, I made the base for homemade vanilla ice cream. I have a feeling the ice cream is going to be extra yummy because it includes a portion of "vanilla sugar." Sugar that was steeped in a split and scraped vanilla bean...for a week. Shaken daily.

When I opened the jar, the vanilla fragrance was so wonderful. Can't wait to sample the ice cream.

As for the meal, he wants grilled steaks and shrimp. Nothing else. Well, something to wash the meal down, but that's always easy. He loves iced tea.

He asked for cake for breakfast. I think he's looking forward to tonight's meal. Well, at least the cake.

How do you view it?

He requested a vanilla cake with vanilla icing, which I made yesterday. Then, to gild the lily, I made the base for homemade vanilla ice cream. I have a feeling the ice cream is going to be extra yummy because it includes a portion of "vanilla sugar." Sugar that was steeped in a split and scraped vanilla bean...for a week. Shaken daily.

When I opened the jar, the vanilla fragrance was so wonderful. Can't wait to sample the ice cream.

As for the meal, he wants grilled steaks and shrimp. Nothing else. Well, something to wash the meal down, but that's always easy. He loves iced tea.

He asked for cake for breakfast. I think he's looking forward to tonight's meal. Well, at least the cake.

Happy birthday to Glenn! ?

Steak, shrimp, cake and ice cream! Sounds great to me! Enjoy!

Doing brats, potato salad, and a green veggie. Not sure what yet. Something my mom can eat with her fingers...probably asparagus or broccoli.

Grilling some wings. A veggie will also be prepared so we don't aggravate the spirits of healthy eating.

I think I'm going to thaw some ground beef and grill some burgers. Probably will make a salad for the side.

Slight change of plans. DH came home with some fresh corn on the cob and I have roasted garden-fresh Anaheim and jalapeño peppers, so I decided to make Bobby Flay's Green Chile Cheeseburgers from a Throwdown episode and Mexican street corn - corn coated with a mayo-lime-chile powder mixture.

It just started pouring down rain, so we'll be cooking indoors tonight ;)

Attachments

• 2016-06-30 19.07.20.jpg
    2016-06-30 19.07.20.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
The glass is half full! Happy birthday to Katie's DH, Glenn!

We will be meandering around. Not sure yet, but something will strike our fancy.

I really like the sound of that recipe Munky. I think I can adapt my portion to low carb with no pasta and on a bed of cooked kale. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm doing the larger part of a tri tip on the barby, and a baked spud will make a little loaded casserole for the SC, and I can have the loaded baked skins...yummm.

The glass is half full! Happy birthday to Katie's DH, Glenn!

We will be meandering around. Not sure yet, but something will strike our fancy.

We ended up splitting lasagna at our new favorite Mexican Italian restaurant. The new guy (a chef from Italy) bought the place from a dear friend of ours, and it appears that he is doing quite well, and has become very popular. Probably doesn't hurt that he is very nice, and, um, extremely easy on the eyes.

Last edited:
Great sounding dinners. :yum:

I had a BLT this evening with fresh picked tomatoes, and a small potato salad on the side. Simple dinner, as I had Tyler all day and the little guy kind of wore me out. :ermm::LOL:

We played mini-golf all afternoon, so no one was interested in doing anything more than ordering. I had an emergency Chili's card in my purse - it's a rare chain restaurant that we can tolerate. A couple of smoked chicken burritos for the girls, a couple of Mexican-spiced burgers for the guys, and gobs and gobs of liquids all around. I think I drank a lake worth of ice water all on my own!

When driving Goober back to his place, we stopped at Pav's Creamery for some good, old-fashioned custard made with the same kind of churning machines that some old amusement parks used back in the early 1920s. Euclid Beach Park memories...

I am coming to your house for my next birthday. :angel:

There was quite a bit of leftover potato salad and coleslaw from the BBQ party yesterday. It was for the taking. So I brought some upstairs and every time I open the fridge, I have been taking a mouthful or two of each. Been picking all day at both of them. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom