This is the dinner thread for Wednesday, 11/19/2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thread title is a little confusing. I'll assume this is the Wednesday dinner thread. :angel:

We're having a second round of pot roast with gravy, veggies and mashed potatoes.

Is this the dinner thread?:)

Monthly potluck tonight at the community house. They always have outstanding food:yum:. I'm taking my latest hit; mashed potato, green chile and cheddar cheese casserole.

Unlike so much of the country, we are having perfect weather in the 70's so I'll be grilling spatchcock cornish game hens tonight.

I'll glaze them with honey, lemon, ginger. I'll use the same mixture with baby carrots and make some tri colored rice also.

I tried out a combination that I read about on this forum. Baked chopped up beetroot, bits of goats cheese and chopped walnuts! (Mixed with some honey and walnut oil...oh and some rocket leaves) - with toast. Nice variety of textures and complimentary flavours.

I'm guessing there was a minor mistake in the topic title that got corrected by our highly paid moderator staff. :)

I have a rib eye steak that is doing partial duty in my Sous Vide, but I plan to do most of the cooking in a ribbed cast iron pan.

With that I have a mini-potato recipe worth sharing. I get a mix of mini-potatoes, this time only red and white but I prefer having some blacks too. I nuke them to tenderness, then saute them in garlic butter and add salt and a heavy hand of pepper. Oh yes, and a dash of brown sugar.

Vegetables will have to wait until I survey my freezer.

Last edited:
I grilled a rib eye on this beautiful afternoon, too. It only had one full duty and that was on the Weber - a nice charred exterior and med rare interior. :yum: Sides were a baked potato in the toaster oven with sour cream and chives, and a salad.

Last edited:
I had a salad of radicchio, kale, quinoa, edamame, dried cranberries, tomato, blueberries, apple, green onion, and grated fennel dressed with EVOO and freshly squeezed orange juice, S&P. I salted the radicchio and kale, massaged it, and then added everything else, dressed it, and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

The thread title is a little confusing. I'll assume this is the Wednesday dinner thread. :angel:

We're having a second round of pot roast with gravy, veggies and mashed potatoes.

Change of plans. Tonight's dinner turned out to be omelets. SO and I had a three-egg omelets with two cheeses, ham, pepper and scallions.

001.JPG

Chicken Marsala with Rigatoni and a goodly
amount of grated Garana Padano
(this is my version of a classic dish)

Yum! Sounds great Greg!

I had some leftover Chicken & Noodles with yeast rolls.

I am cooking hamburger steaks with gravy & either rice or taters for S/O's lunch for tomorrow. Clover yeast rolls to freeze and pull out whenever needed. Mini muffins too, either double chocolate or cinnamon...

Even on vacation, sometimes ya just gotta cook.

We decided we had to do one night on the grill while we're still in FL. We went to the local fishmonger and selected a nice assortment of large shrimp, jumbo scallops and a FL lobster tail. I did the prep work, as well as make a veggie-full salad (our only veggie) and a mix of long grain and wild rice.

It was cold and windy, but Himself was undaunted. Bravely he headed to the grill...and then spent the next half-hour trying to light the old and worn thing with the low-power stick lighters. Doesn't help when the wind blows your flame out as soon as you finally get one going! Grill fired up, the food went on. Unfortunately, it was hard to keep the interior hot - every time he lifted the lid to add the next-longer cooking food the temp dropped down and had a hard time getting hot again. Those grills are pretty well-used. Next year we won't grill anything more exotic than a Bratwurst. ;)

Our banquet, from near to far, consisted of clarified butter (had to re-warm because it began to set), seasoned rice, seafood sampler, scallions for Himself for the salad next in line, and the grand finish of a rather tasty-for-a-grocery-bakery (thank you, Publix) key lime cheesecake. Those wine glasses were eventually filled. Twice. At least twice...

Attachments

• 2014-11-19 20.49.14.jpg
    2014-11-19 20.49.14.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 192

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom