Thursday, 1-18-18, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Butternut squash lasagna, using the squash as the noodles. It's in the oven. Italian sausage, onion, garlic, sage, with a sage flavored, brown butter, Parm R bechemel, and ricotta cheese with salt and pepper plus some of the sage used to flavor the bechemel.

Last edited:
No one feels like cooking and no one wants to go out (Friday is dine out night)..

Tonight will be a delivery pizza night... Will put together a green salad to go with it..

Ross

I had a sous vide lemon-basil pork chop and some homemade slaw. Easy peasy.

I tell you, if nothing else, the sous vide makes wonderful pork chops. :yum:

95Eye65.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea on the flavor combos, and we had broccoli rabe as a side, but execution failed. I used too much bechemel and it just collapsed. Never tried anything quite like this so lesson learned and next time I'll know better.

I shoveled out the patio this morning so I could get to the grill. Only about 4 - 5 inches of light fluffy stuff.

Grilled B/S chicken thighs, marinated in a soy balsamic vinegar marinade. Lemony white basmati rice in the Zoji. Green salad on the side.

tenspeed, you are a hardy soul!

Nice looking chop, Steve. We haven't had pork anything for a while...

I saved the rest of the meatloaf for today, since I knew we'd be doing the car-shopping thing again. All I had to do was doll up some jarred gravy (added sauteed mushrooms and a bit of red wine to it), nuke frozen baby peas and canned Niblets corn, and make mashed potatoes from scratch! Easy, delicious, filling. Just enough meatloaf left for a tiny sandwich...shhhhh. :cool:

I made a sort of smothered pork chops by cooking the butterfly chops (a tough cut) in the Instant Pot; then I made gravy in a skillet, added a couple cups of caramelized onions I had made earlier and frozen, and simmered the chops in it. Meanwhile, I made späetzle and a salad of mixed baby greens. Also made homemade bread.
0118182017b.jpg

Last night was takeout sushi rolls (3 California rolls with sweetfish roe, and a ahrimp tempura roll), green tea flavored gkim, and imported mandarin oranges for dessert.

Everything was really good, but these mandarin oranges are incredible. They peel so easy, are bursting with juice, and are as sweet as candy.

I had a sous vide lemon-basil pork chop and some homemade slaw. Easy peasy.

I tell you, if nothing else, the sous vide makes wonderful pork chops. :yum:

95Eye65.jpg

Yes, it is very good with lean pork. I gave my dad an Anova circulator for xmas, and his very first cook was pork loin, sous vide and seared. My parents loved it.

It just does such a good job of keeping "the other white meat" moist and tender.

CD

Steve, Would you share the time and tempature
that you use for Sous Vide pork chops.
Thanks
Josie
Sure. I used this recipe to create the rub for the pork chops...
Grilled Pork Chops with Basil-Garlic Rub Recipe | Food Network

Although the recipe says to let them stand for 15-30 minutes after applying the rub, with the sous vide there's no need to do that. I just pop them right into the cooking bags. I also put a little splash of white wine in the bag, too.

I put them in the circulator at 137F for an hour and a half (pork needs to be held at a temperature of over 135 for at least an hour to render it safe).

After some trial and error, I've found 137 to be a good temperature for chops, tenderloin roasts, and other lower fat cuts of pork. If I had to compare it to a steak, I would say it comes out with a doneness level just slightly past medium... cooked through but still a little pink and plenty moist.

Last edited:
Sure. I used this recipe to create the rub for the pork chops...
Grilled Pork Chops with Basil-Garlic Rub Recipe | Food Network

Although the recipe says to let them stand for 15-30 minutes after applying the rub, with the sous vide there's no need to do that. I just pop them right into the cooking bags. I also put a little splash of white wine in the bag, too.

I put them in the circulator at 137F for an hour and a half (pork needs to be held at a temperature of over 135 for at least an hour to render it safe).

After some trial and error, I've found 137 to be a good temperature for chops, tenderloin roasts, and other lower fat cuts of pork. If I had to compare it to a steak, I would say it comes out with a doneness level just slightly past medium... cooked through but still a little pink and plenty moist.

If I recall correctly, that is the temperature I told my dad to use for his pork loin. I don't recall the time, but I had to explain to him how that temperature is safe for pork, when you cook it long enough at that temperature. My dad is a chemical engineer, so it made sense to him. My parents are in their 80s, so they grew up eating pork cooked to death.

CD

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, that is the temperature I told my dad to use for his pork loin. I don't recall the time, but I had to explain to him how that temperature is safe for pork, when you cook it long enough at that temperature. My dad is a chemical engineer, so it made sense to him. My parents are in their 80s, so they grew up eating pork cooked to death.

CD
I think a lot of people forget that pasteurization is not only dependent on temperature, but on time as well. And with sous vide you also have to take into account the amount of time it takes for the interior to reach the desired temperature. I remember seeing a chart somewhere (maybe Serious Eats?) that listed cook times based on thickness of the meat. In the absence of that, I figure it's just better to err on the side of safety and leave it in the circulator longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom