Thursday 12/1/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm planning to take my new toy (Instantpot) for a test run. Pot roast will be my first run.

I am making venison stew with some rye rolls. Gotta use up some leftover mashed potatoes. Bread machine to make the dough; pressure cooker to make the stew. I am busy with some Christmas baking while my Dad is curling--I have to bake the cookies when he is out of the house and hide them or else there won't be any left by Christmas. I started with my Grandma's peppernuts--they store well and last a long time (if I forget where I hid them).

I posted the recipe years ago, and it is WRONG. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/virtual-holiday-cookie-swap-38537-4.html#post1075551

I have updated it to be the recipe according to my grandma's handwritten recipe card.

It's chicken wings for us today!

I marinate them with hot sauce, oil, salt, pepper. Then roll them in gluten free flour mix and place on tray. I mist them with more oil and bake them. Turn half way. Outcome is nice crunchy wings with little fat and lots of flavour.

TB will have a little Caesar salad and a lot of potato wedges. I will have the opposite! ;)

SO is jetting to Florida to visit three generations of her family, children, grandchildren and a great grandchild, as I type this. I have 12 days on my own.

I have a list of foods I love that she hates that I hope to cook while she's gone. Duck breast and rack of lamb were two of those but neither were available when I went shopping this afternoon.

As a result, I'll be making lasagna Bolognese tonight.

Simmering in the pan on an induction burner loaned to me by my neighbour, I have 3 chicken thighs, brussels, mushrooms and a shallot in some turkey gravy. Better go rescue it before it dries out! :yum:

Roasted Cornish hen with a honey, thyme, lemon juice glaze, wild rice, and green beans with stewed tomatoes, onion and garlic.

Kind of at loose ends today after a not-so-good doctor's visit yesterday, so I scrounged some leftovers in the fridge.

We'll end up having leftover baked ham, baked sweet potatoes and steamed and buttered broccoli. It will be a colorful plate for sure.

If my duck breast thaws out in time, I'll have that...
Duck breast thawed in time! :clap:

Sadly, the pan sauce broke, but it tasted good anyway.

img_1489804_0_9722c28b6429dc222aa1fc4481c8dc06.jpg

You can have all those BS's Steve but I'd sure like some of that beautiful duck!

I know how much you like that lasagna Andy! Sounds like the perfect bday dinner to me! You'll have fun cooking all your favorites.

We're having rotisserie chicken and salad. I will not be going to Costco again till next year!! What a flipping zoo!! Bahhh Humbug!! At least we got 4 meals of our loin lamb chops to last us.

Caccavella (lit'l bowl) the worlds largest pasta. Stuffed with ricotta, mozz, mushroom, spinach, shrimp and crab.

img_1489816_0_08b319dc778482ddc8d7d13c26219282.jpg

img_1489816_1_6be32a5e29deb28a596e7517bccdc71d.jpg

img_1489816_2_7dbb3e5e29fc0c4ad768d7191aa3fc3c.jpg

Roasted Cornish hen with a honey, thyme, lemon juice glaze, wild rice, and green beans with stewed tomatoes, onion and garlic.

OMG! medtran! were you peeking over my shoulder this morning? Before becoming hysterical about the new stove arriving I was planning a menu for a celebration with it. Figured I would have the weekend to experiment and invited some 'girls' over for a Mon nite feast.

Menu:
In my Mom's Romertopf Clay Baker - some Cornish Hens stuffed with a mix of Wild and Long Grain Rice, onion, orange juice & zest, butter, honey, tumeric, ginger, ground coriander and almonds - served with a yogurt, mint & cucumber sauce.
Along with a Potato Scallop and a Szechwan Bean as side dishes from a Dash cookbook (one friend is now on very low salt as she is just recovering from a slight heart attack).
Wanted to make a Beet salad but my favourite is with Feta cheese, hmmm too salty - any suggestions?
Haven't even thought about dessert yet.
Did think perhaps a Carrot, Ginger Soup for a starter might not be amiss. (also from Dash Diet) will have to get busy and make that saltless vegetable broth.

I can prepare quite a bit the day before... of course if something goes wrong with the installation of the new stove :( it will be peanut butter sandwiches for all .. :shock:

I made a yakisoba stir fry tonight with 4 kinds of mushrooms (enoki, shiitake, baby king oyster, and button), tofu and shrimp.

My best effort yet since I tried some new brand of fresh noodles. I couldn't tell you what it was, though, since everything on the package was in Korean.

We had salads (spinach/romaine, black and green salad olives, tomato, feta cheese, scallions for Himself) and worked over some leftovers. Added more veggies (carrots, celery, spinach) to the soup. I missed unstuffing with the turkey breast steaks the other day, so I made a small casserole for tonight. Dinner plate held turkey, unstuffing, and broccoli.
seating_dinner_100-100.gif
*blort*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom