Thursday 2/25/2016 What's on the table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I made escarole and white beans for lunch today. 3 heads escarole, 2 cans cannellini beans, 8 cloves garlic, salt, ground pepper and red pepper flakes. ALL gone!! The 4 of us scarfed it down! LOL No leftovers to pack away.

Dinner will probably be waffles or pancakes made with TJ's buttermilk baking mix, maple syrup, butter, warm apple and berries compote and sour cream to top.

We get United Way fundraiser. Chicken Alfredo, Olive Garden salad, and angel food cake.

A nice center cut poke chop and homemade spicy sauerkraut.

img_1456841_0_22ccaf61561bfda8431baca22f333e9f.jpg

Looks good Steve. How do you make your kraut?

Looks good Steve. How do you make your kraut?

How do I make the kraut itself? I make up about 3 or 4 gallons of it twice a year using two ingredients: cabbage and salt. It ferments for 3 or 4 weeks, then I can it, and stop fermentation by processing it in a water bath.

As for the spicy kraut, I chop a small onion and two serrano chiles, then saute them in butter. I add a quart of drained kraut, a teaspoon of ground coriander seed, and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more for color than heat) and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes. Right before serving, I add a tablespoon of butter and squeeze the juice of a lemon over the top.

DH brought home some ground beef and burger buns yesterday that were not on the grocery list, so I'm guessing he would like a burger for dinner :LOL:

And I like to have baked beans with burgers, so I have a batch ready to go in the oven. He had to work late tonight, so I'm getting things prepped and will hit the stove when he gets home.

That looks and sounds so good Steve!
It's a glorious afternoon here so I'll be heading out to the grill with my new book (Sins of the Father, Jeffery Archer) and a glass (maybe 2 or 3) of Chardonnay.
Oh yeah, I'll cook too.
I've been marinating mushrooms/zucchini slices/red bell pepper/onion wedges in an Italian vinaigrette. All will be dumped into my grill basket. I'll also grill a half tri tip to rare.
The SC will do his tater tots in the toaster oven.

Sloppy Joe Tater Tot casserole. I used the smallest casserole dish I could find, there is some for lunch tomorrow, but no more. Corn and green beans mixed in the sloppy mix. Fished a few olives to serve alongside.

Spent the afternoon in the dentist chair then at church for handbell rehearsal. Ate leftovers when I got home of Ruben casserole.

That looks and sounds so good Steve!
It's a glorious afternoon here so I'll be heading out to the grill with my new book (Sins of the Father, Jeffery Archer) and a glass (maybe 2 or 3) of Chardonnay.
Oh yeah, I'll cook too.
I've been marinating mushrooms/zucchini slices/red bell pepper/onion wedges in an Italian vinaigrette. All will be dumped into my grill basket. I'll also grill a half tri tip to rare.
The SC will do his tater tots in the toaster oven.

The picture isn't fancy, but you get the idea...

img_1456877_0_14ff6e32a70f0a0d64ee914728675dc4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom