Thursday 3/3/11 What's Cooking Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Breakfast was a 2 egg omelet with grated turkey ham and colby/jack cheese.

Lunch a chef salad.

Dinner a big fat cheeseburger.

What are you cooking today?:chef:

I'm thinking burgers tonight. Not sure of the sides yet. Have some potatoes that need cooked up somehow. Maybe I'll roast them.

I have sesame chicken, sesame noodles and fresh string beans planned for today.

Cheeseburgers sound really good, but tonight I am going with a steak, potatoes, maybe spinach.
I need to make a burger and bun run though. Some grilled burgers sound delicious. And then maybe sloppy Joes to help me use up the buns. Maybe this weekend for that.

I'm thinking beef patties with onion gravy or meatloaf... I know I'm going to have mashed potatoes either way and some vegie on the side.

It's a beautiful day for grilling! 70° and SUNNY!!!!!! I've got some chicken marinating in the fridge for grilled sticky chicken. I made some rice this morning that I'll turn into some fried rice and the plan is to steam some broccoli to go with it all. If I get by Publix, I'll pick up some sub rolls from the bakery to make grilled garlic bread, if not, I think I have some texas toast in the freezer I can make into grilled garlic bread.

It's sunny here too, Mama! Just 50F cooler :LOL:

I forgot I had some criminis, so some mushroom gratin is in the plans for tonight, too :)

Im cooking a ziti bake in the crockpot with dry pasta and hoping it cooks completely.

Cleaning out the fridge tomorrow so it's "dabbas" tonight, a few pieces of chicken, some foot long hot dogs, pasta salad, butternut squash, spinach, strawberries and anything else I can get my family to eat up.

It's a beautiful day for grilling! 70° and SUNNY!!!!!! I've got some chicken marinating in the fridge for grilled sticky chicken. I made some rice this morning that I'll turn into some fried rice and the plan is to steam some broccoli to go with it all. If I get by Publix, I'll pick up some sub rolls from the bakery to make grilled garlic bread, if not, I think I have some texas toast in the freezer I can make into grilled garlic bread.
How do you make grilled sticky chicken? Is it just bbq chicken or what?

How do you make grilled sticky chicken? Is it just bbq chicken or what?

Well, it's actually a first for me...the grilled that is. I have breaded chicken and made a sauce out of: 3 tablespoons of Low-Sodium Soy, 3 tablespoons water, ½ cup white vinegar, ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup white sugar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground ginger and poured it over the chicken and baked it in the oven. The sauce thickens up very nicely and makes the chicken sticky.

I'm trying to lighten it up a bit so instead of breading the chicken, I've decided to cut b/s breasts into strips and marinate them in the sauce for a few hours, remove the chicken strips and put them on skewers. I'll then put the marinade in a saucepan, bring it to a boil and reduce it down until it thickens and use it to brush on the chicken skewers during the last few minutes of grilling. It works well in my head so I guess we'll see how it does in real life :)

Ahhh, the old, Can I use the same marinade I used for the chicken to brush on the pieces when they are grilling? scenario... :angel:
:LOL:

The plan is shake-n-bake pork chops, stove-top corn bread stuffing, and asparagus.

Tonight will be BLTs and slaw. Usually I save BLTs for when the tomatoes are good, but I wanted some bacon fat to use in the tamale pie my husband wants for his birthday ..... Oh, well, any excuse will do!

Meat Balls in Mushroom Gravy over Egg Noodles
Some vegetable
Salad

I never got around to taking any meat out of the freezer, so I was thinking about having a grilled cheese sandwich. I just remembered, though, that I have a couple hamburger patties so it looks like a cheeseburger and fries. :cool:

My youngest son brought us several pkgs. of ground deer meat so I cooked up some macaroni and cheese and mixed in a pkg. of fried, ground deer meat. Yummy!

For my mushroom gratin, instead of garlic I used thin sliced shallots for the first layer above the crimini. We have a winner folks! OMG the taste was incredible. The cheese I used was a packaged four blend pizza cheese and some queso fresco on top underneath the buttered panko. To heck with the steak, potato and spinach ;) Sure, I ate them, but the star was the gratin.

Ahhh, the old, Can I use the same marinade I used for the chicken to brush on the pieces when they are grilling? scenario... :angel:
:LOL:

I used the same marinade. I brought it to a boil and then I had to let it simmer for about 30 minutes to get it to thicken up. I'll post a new thread with the recipe and pics.

Attachments

• dinner03032011.jpg
    dinner03032011.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 188
  • grilled-sticky-chicken.jpg
    grilled-sticky-chicken.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 167
Back
Top Bottom