Thursday 4/21/11 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Shopping this morning. I got a nice big bone-in pork loin roast, but when looking for a beef roast too, the price was absurd - $5/# so I found what was labeled rib eye steaks for $3/# in a family pack, so I could cut some up for a beef stew (which is what I wanted the roast for). I'll have to decide which to have: beef stew, rib eye steak or pork roast. I also got some smoked pork neck bones so beans are in the running too.

What are you cooking today?:chef:

I'm not sure what I will be making, but I am pretty sure it will involve boneless, skinless chicken breast. :cool:

I just got a look at those rib eye steaks. 4 of 'em, $2.10 apiece. They are a good inch thick and look like that USA steak in MollyAnne's picture. Well, pretty darn close.

I'll cook up one to try tonight. If it's too tough, I'll save the rest of it for stew tomorrow, plus it will already be browned.:chef:

The roast is in the oven with oregano all over, in the roasting pan on a rack, over water, oregano, S&P and a good couple of glugs of Liquid Smoke. I had let it sit out, but it was still pretty cold in the middle. After 1 hour at 350°, I put in the meat thermometer and it didn't even register among the numbers, so I've put it back in for another hour.

If the steak turns out edible as steak, I'll have it with a slice of really meaty bacon, with extra blue cheese dressing to dunk it in. :pig:

My problem is going to be venting the smoke so that the smoke alarm doesn't go off.:ermm:

Last edited:
Meatloaf and mashed.

I laughed when I read about the beef. I have the same ssue. The stew meat is $4.99/pound and reduced price strip steaks are $2.99/pound. Those steaks make tasty stew!

It is Thursday right? If not I'm in a heap of trouble at work :LOL:
Somebody needs to fix that title ;) I thought y'all were still talking about last night's dinner.

I'm going to grill a steak tonight. I picked up some cilantro and will probably make some pico, but undecided if it's going on top of the steak or not. I'll grill a couple spuds and some garlic bread, too.

Hubby is going to a poker game tonight so I just had a bit of leftover chicken fingers...

I'm writing my grocery list as the stores are closed tomorrow, looking for ideas, cmon people! Lol

chicken thighs in crockpot with bbq sauce. couple veggies. not sure which ones just yet. cream cheese bars from freezer.

am baking hot cross buns right now. if they are good, maybe dessert,instead of bars.

Meatloaf, mac and cheese and broccoli

Attachments

• dinner04212011.jpg
    dinner04212011.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 196
Hubby is going to a poker game tonight so I just had a bit of leftover chicken fingers...

I'm writing my grocery list as the stores are closed tomorrow, looking for ideas, cmon people! Lol

Hubby has left for a role playing game.

I just finished writing my grocery list. Most stores here are open tomorrow, but close Easter Monday. But, we are really low on a lot of stuff and I'm finally feeling well enough to drive.

I'll be shopping at Costco, so it's rotisserie chicken for me.

We play D&D once a week with a few folk. I'm the only girl. lol

Most stores here are open Monday lol. I would have had to work Monday but I booked it off last minute.

Still haven't really moved on the grocery list.. I've since ordered pizza. LOL

We play D&D once a week with a few folk. I'm the only girl. lol

Most stores here are open Monday lol. I would have had to work Monday but I booked it off last minute.

Still haven't really moved on the grocery list.. I've since ordered pizza. LOL

He GMs another role playing game that I play in. We do that once a week, except for me during tax season.

I still need to get out the door and do that shopping. :angel:

Meatloaf and mashed.

I laughed when I read about the beef. I have the same ssue. The stew meat is $4.99/pound and reduced price strip steaks are $2.99/pound. Those steaks make tasty stew!

I was after beef for stew, and thought about how much less cutting I'd have to do.:chef:

I didn't cook the steak all the way as it wanted to smoke and the wind is blowing the wrong way to open the windows, but I did cut off and eat the edges.

It really is a steak! Tasty and pretty tender.

I will cut up two of the steaks for stew, cut another into strips like someone posted about flank steak and probably the rest of this steak too.

I'll make a pineapple marinade w/brown sugar, ginger and soy and freeze together with the strips.

The pork sirloin roast came out tender but not overdone. The outside was brown and crusted even though I had it covered during the first hour. I love braising. The braising juice had reduced to about a half cup of concentrated flavor.

I ate the ends with some of the braising liquid. Mmmmm.

We play D&D once a week with a few folk. I'm the only girl. LOL

I miss D&D! I haven't played in ages. I had two favorite characters, a Paladin and a Monk. What are you Saph?

Dinner tonight is burgers, fries and salad. Dessert will be ice cream. Yes people, we can see the SUN!

I'm a druid ! I've only played one game so far as a Druid and I mistakenly did Entangle in an alleyway.. oh man it was so bad the GM said ok well.. we're going to skip ahead now... LOL .. Fail... fail.. fail... our paladin was donning his armor swiftly in the inn... but thats just as long with 6 second rounds lol

The pizza we ordered had nasty ground beef in it. It was like a mixture of ground beef and other stuff. Yuck. Tummy is turning now.

Almost done my list.. have to drop Nick off at poker soon then its to the store.

Last edited:
Life handed me a lemon when I could have sworn I had a lime in the crisper, too... so no pico de gallo... so along with my grilled steak and potatoes will be some steamed & sautéed green beans and broccoli. And I had a wee bit of marinara left over from the spaghetti the other night, so not to waste it I'm going to boil a little penne, also. I'll have some of my favorite flavors and foods going on tonight along with the garlic bread I'm going to make... so what's a sunny side up egg on top my steak to round it out...

Chicken simmered in white wine, garlic and tarragon, along with mashed potatoes, buttered baby lima beans, iced tea and the last of the orange chiffon cake for dessert. I'm surprised the cake actually lasted the week. I had my doubts earlier in the week.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom