Thursday 6/16 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i made a bean and veggie chili from scratch tonight. well, about as "from scratch" as i can make it. i used onions, peppers, tomatoes, and garlic from my garden (the tomatoes and hot and sweet peppers were frozen from last year's garden), and i made my own chili powder from dried/smoked peppers from last year's garden as well.

the only things i didn't grow or raise myself were the ground beef and beans. lol, and the salt and pepper.

while the chili was cooking, i also made sbr glazed chicken legs and asparagus on the grill.

your dinner looks very nutritious and yummy, msmofet
rocklobster... YUM! You can't go wrong with that dinner!

I'm making Mark a big vegie salad with sliced chicken on top and shredded cheese. I think I'll give him italian dressing and a roll with butter.

I'm not sure what I'm going to have. I have a portabella to use. I was thinking of combining diced chicken with vegies, shredded cheese and breakcrumbs and using that as a stuffing for the mushroom halves and bake in the oven. I'm just now thinking this, so it might have to get put off until tomorrow.. .maybe for lunch. I think I'll just have a chicken salad wrap with tater-tots.
Thank you VB! Tater tots!!! YUMMY with malt vinegar.

It's hot and dry.....Pllease send rain!!!!

I'm in the middle of a torrential downpour at the end of a nonstop rainy day. The thunder just hit too. WOW! Sending wet thoughts your way.

Dinner here was carb overload as we cleaned out the fridge. Rice...fried with some turkey breast, pasta...made into mac and cheese, and some bacon wrapped scallops that I found at the bottom of the freezer. Those were in danger of critical freezer burn so they had to go. And for dessert...a little torture of our oldest daughter, sweet indeed.

Ahhhh THAT is my favorite show on the foot network!! It amazes me what they come up with!

I would have made a sausage pie. I think your ingredients would have made a yummy pie.

Thanks, VB! I love the show too and have been catching up on a bunch of episodes that taped but I haven't got to. Yes, they would make a great pie. The problem is I have to make gluten free pastry for DH and it takes a ton of time and I am not always happy with the result. At least a frittata doesn't have a crust!

As it turns out I shopped too long, found out that the zucchini was not useable and forgot I also had a striploin that needed using so we had warm steak and mushroom salad with asparagus and a lemon balsamic vinegar dressing. The basket of ingredients will be used tomorrow - maybe I will consider the pie after all! ;)

your dinner looks very nutritious and yummy, msmofet
rocklobster... YUM! You can't go wrong with that dinner!

I'm making Mark a big vegie salad with sliced chicken on top and shredded cheese. I think I'll give him italian dressing and a roll with butter.

I'm not sure what I'm going to have. I have a portabella to use. I was thinking of combining diced chicken with vegies, shredded cheese and breakcrumbs and using that as a stuffing for the mushroom halves and bake in the oven. I'm just now thinking this, so it might have to get put off until tomorrow.. .maybe for lunch. I think I'll just have a chicken salad wrap with tater-tots.
Here is Mark's salad...
img_1012871_0_a1078b56f4b54be6cfe602b7de0dade0.jpg

Here is my wrap sandwich. Inside is diced chicken, Mozz and American cheeses, lettuce, green onion, mustard and a slice of dill pickle. I didn't have tater-tots... I figured an orange was healthier.
img_1012871_1_d94e647e63261e6e88818a3ed48b2aef.jpg

VB, they both look delicious!

I am actually enjoying having oranges with my meals lately. I have been alternating between oranges (we are getting Peruvian mandarins that are great), tomatoes and pineapple!

As I opened up the cupboard I realized that I don't make as much rice when the weather warms up some. That's weird.
After deglazing with a little vermouth and then chicken broth, I was reaching for the heavy cream when I saw the last of the coconut milk... It added a nice twist to an old standby.
I don't know how I missed your picture. I need to make a stir-fry very soon... looks yummy!

Thanks Vanilla.
It was more of a chicken 'n biscuits than a stir-fry, but over rice ;^)
Using up that chicken I cooked the other night.

:D
I keep forgetting to try my hand at making corn sauce.
How do you make yours?

Lunch was two chicken sandwiches with iceberg lettuce and mayo on white bread. One of my favorite sandwiches :)

I use butter, really finely chopped or minced onion (depending on how lazy I'm feeling ^_^) a little white wine, a little cream, salt and peppercorns. I'm afraid I don't really know the measurements coz it's different everytime and I kind of make it up.

I'll soften the onions in the butter, add the white wine (not too much though at the beginning) and let it all simmer down.
Then I'll add the salt, peppercorns and the excess butter/oil/fluid/meat juices from the steak (while it's cooking away happily - OH likes his well done, me MR, so it's pretty easy - not so much if you want it blue or rare).
Simmer away then add the cream to thicken it up as much as you like and a splash more white wine if the taste needs it (or if I've added too much cream for my liking!)
All seasoned to taste as you go pretty much.

I guess I use a few tablespoons of peppercorns, and I always crush them pestle-and-mortar style :rolleyes:

Hope that helps! Give it a go and let me know, I'm sure you'll do an amazing job!!

P.S. I really fancy a chicken sandwich now - yum :LOL:

Thanks, CF. That's pretty much what I've read, but I wanted your take on it.
I'll be making it soon, I just need to decide what I want with it.

Thanks, CF. That's pretty much what I've read, but I wanted your take on it.
I'll be making it soon, I just need to decide what I want with it.

You're very welcome.

Deciding what to have with it is probably the hardest bit! I'm a big fan of steak but we do chicken shish-kebab style things with big wild mushrooms and cover those in pepper corn sauce too - they're lovely.

Here is Mark's salad...
img_1012962_0_a1078b56f4b54be6cfe602b7de0dade0.jpg

Here is my wrap sandwich. Inside is diced chicken, Mozz and American cheeses, lettuce, green onion, mustard and a slice of dill pickle. I didn't have tater-tots... I figured an orange was healthier.
img_1012962_1_d94e647e63261e6e88818a3ed48b2aef.jpg
Can I have a 1/2 sevings of each? YUMMY VB!

Back
Top Bottom